Homage To Homer Thread

Kalessin

I had the chance to hold one in my hand. For its looks I wasn't sure if I appreciated it. Holding one is definitely a pleasure for the hand. A pleasure given by its shape (=look). It certainly would be very nice to own one. And the 149 nib...

WWW.nelsonsousaphoto.com

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• mjchuang9

• Michael R.

• blottingpaperforlife

So what's the reaction from all you guys? From the posts if seems like the reaction to this pen is generally positive, is that right?

Is the only problem that has surfaced so far the scratches on the section?

I just pulled the trigger on one yesterday, so I think I will find out soon enough.

Thinking about this pen....but I know I will break down and get it.

It just pulls at me in so many ways....Hector, the tamer of horses, Achilles' wrath and heroic glory, Odysseus and the Trojan Horse, Priam aged ruler of Troy, and Homer, the blind poet of Chios.

I recently gifted someone a 149, and of course, there is a vacant slot next to my other 149.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Is anyone else able to chime in on how bad the grip scratching issue is? I put a refundable deposit down on the pen before I heard about this issue and now I am not so sure anymore. I have a 149 that I have used for 10 years now (I can’t believe it has been 10 years already!) and it looks pristine. I know it would make me more than a little annoyed if the Homer developed scratches just from regular use.

Thanks in advance!

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Just as bad as shown on reed thoughts picture.

Montblanc boutique in Frankfurt was not aware of it so no answers from there. I will contact their customer service on this and see what they will have to say.

Same about the little hole in the body.

Still a great and beautiful pen but a real pity they don't care about issues like this during product development.

Must be the curse of the writers edition pens...

Cheers

Michael

Thanks for the response Michael. That’s a real shame. I really like the 149 sized nib.

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

I like the pen a lot and I don't regret buying it! ...but still :unsure:

Things will show signs of use when being used. But on some (most) others it is less obvious.

Cheers

Michael

Yeah... my section is scratching up as well, and I cap the pen with utmost care. Honestly. For me it’s a no issue— the pen is just that cool! Achilles helmet on the nib and his spear as a clip.... to me that’s the end all. But, I am a huge fan of this character so maybe I’m not the right guy to ask about it. With that said, I wish it didn’t happen.. but oh well.

Can you post this pen? I saw a picture of it posted and it didn't look like you would be able to write with it without the cap coming off. Does anyone have experience posting it?

Can you post this pen? I saw a picture of it posted and it didn't look like you would be able to write with it without the cap coming off. Does anyone have experience posting it?

Just tried to on mine. Doesn't post. Pen looks amazing though. Have had it for a few weeks. Haven't had a chance to ink it yet. Still plastic wrapped in its box. Took it out just now to test the portability.

Got my Homer with OB nib today ... everything I expected, nothing I didnt.

Comfortable in the hand and he weight is nicely balanced.

Better pics later ;)

post-79857-0-87841900-1535336778_thumb.jpeg

Got my Homer with OB nib today ... everything I expected, nothing I didnt.

Comfortable in the hand and he weight is nicely balanced.

Better pics later ;)

~ nishant:

Love the pen.

Love the nib.

Love the ink.

Love the idea.

Thank you!

May it become a favorite writer.

Tom K.

I find the scratching quite disappointing to be honest*. I also noted that when posting the pen (which it does do, just not very securely) that the material marks very easily. I love the design and the nib, but I do wish they'd made it of tougher stuff and spotted the section scratching issue. I thought the blue ink was going to be a boring standard blue, but picked it up yesterday and it's got rather unusual and subtle qualities. I really like how it dries to a slightly brighter hue.

*Are they actual scratches on the section or is this a rubber trail like on the 1912 (which can be rubbed off with a little elbow grease)?

I thought the blue ink was going to be a boring standard blue, but picked it up yesterday and it's got rather unusual and subtle qualities. I really like how it dries to a slightly brighter hue.

~ Uncial:

I'm fully with you on Montblanc Homer Greek Blue ink.

I've been writing with it for several weeks.

The dried color is vibrant. Definitely worth having a bottle...or two.

Tom K.

Question for those who have the homer. Do you guys have a bit of space between the band at the top of the cap and the cap body. So the joint where the gold band with Greek letters joins with the black part of the cap. When I look at the pen with a light behind it I can see a bit of a gap— to verify I wasn’t seeing things I slid a piece of paper between the gap. Wondering if this is common with all the homers. A little disappointed the fit and finish isn’t tighter than this. I love the pen but this new finding coupled with the scratched section is making me doubt montblancs build quality.

Same here.

If all are like that it is not a quality problem but rather a design flaw ;-)

But I feel what you are saying.

Cheers

Michael

PS: no answer from the boutique yet regarding those issues

Question for those who have the homer. Do you guys have a bit of space between the band at the top of the cap and the cap body. So the joint where the gold band with Greek letters joins with the black part of the cap. When I look at the pen with a light behind it I can see a bit of a gap— to verify I wasn’t seeing things I slid a piece of paper between the gap. Wondering if this is common with all the homers. A little disappointed the fit and finish isn’t tighter than this. I love the pen but this new finding coupled with the scratched section is making me doubt montblancs build quality.

I don't see any space between them in my two Homers. I don't care much about the scratches on the section either. But there are dusts embedded in the gaps on the barrel, that's what I am getting annoyed. I use a name card to clean out. Anyway the Homer is the best writer with 149 nib I own.

I'm not crazy about the pen, but I love the ink. I'm going to pick up an extra bottle.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

...but I love the ink. I'm going to pick up an extra bottle.

~ jmccarty3:

That makes two of us.

I'm finding that Homer Greek Blue ink is congenial to my pens.

I'm using it so much that a second bottle is indicated.

I'm glad that you like it, too.

Tom K.