Possible To Make An 9460 Nib Wetter?

Rav_LandE

Hello All,

I have an Esterbrook J with a 9460 nib.

Nib seems to have always written a little dry and I'm wondering what I could do to make it a little wetter.

So thinking that it could basically be nib is generally blocked, tines to close together, feed to close to nib or something I'm completely missing.

Thankfully tines don't seem to be set too tight, as the manifold nature of the nib might make manipulation difficult.

Is there a way I could check the setting of the feed?

Any other thoughts? I'd really like to get the pen writing wetter as it's perfect in every other sense.

Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cellmatrix

• Rav_LandE

• pajaro

• gweimer1

Its possible that the feed channel is partially occluded. First you could try soaking the nib in water or water mixed with dilute ammonia for an hour or two and then try flushing it out with water. If this does not help its possible the feed channel must have some kind of undissovable debris in it. If that is the case, try following the advice in this thread, or this thread using a .009 inch thick guitar wire string, fitting it into the hole in the back of the nib and then allowing it to feed out the front. If there is ink debris, you will feel a bit of resistance, but if you are patient, and gentle you can get the nib all the way thru and then see little ink particles flushing out finally with water. The nib should write more wet after this. I've personally done this several times on old crusty esterbrook nibs and it works great. Good luck.

Edit to add,

after ammonia step and before the guitar string step, and you don't mind spending a few extra dollars, you could invest in rapid-o-ease cleaner and ear bulb and soak nib in it and flush it. You could also get an ultrasound unit which works well on these nibs too.

However if you want to go the cheap route, then the best way to go is a good dilute ammonia soak, and flush, followed by the steel guitar string (its the smallest string on a guitar and you only need to cut a two inch piece off it for this purpose).

I've used twist ties as well but you need to remove the paper off the twist tie and they bend more easily than the guitar string which works the best.

Let us know how things turn out, ok?

^^^all of the above, but I prefer the .013 gauge guitar string. The nib itself is actually more pliable that you would think. If you have some .001 brass shim stock available, you can feel how tight the nib tines are set. I also have a dip pen nib holder that helps me work on, and test, nibs. You just have to be gentle when you start playing the with the alignment. It really doesn't take as much force as you thing to shift it around.

I have used several of the 9460 nibs in several different Esterbrook models, and I found all to be a bit dry.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Took me a little while to track down the guitar string. A friend of mine had some but it took a couple of days for him to remember to bring it in to work.

So tried the feeding guitar string through, which I managed to do. Did a soak and some gentle tweaking of the nib.

I would say it's wetter but nothing like the Lamy 2000 I have. The 9460 isn't objectionable, but no one would call it a wet writer and though I would like it to write wetter I'll probably stop here before I ruin the nib.

Still it's perfectably usable and better than before.

You didn't mention trying wetter inks.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Took me a little while to track down the guitar string. A friend of mine had some but it took a couple of days for him to remember to bring it in to work.

So tried the feeding guitar string through, which I managed to do. Did a soak and some gentle tweaking of the nib.

I would say it's wetter but nothing like the Lamy 2000 I have. The 9460 isn't objectionable, but no one would call it a wet writer and though I would like it to write wetter I'll probably stop here before I ruin the nib.

Still it's perfectably usable and better than before.

glad the guitar string maneuver was slightly helpful. Per corgi coupe 's comment ^^ above ^^ try nosing around the website here and you will find lots of discussions about wet versus dry inks. Good luck!