The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Grinding To A Finer Nib

nib grinding

10 replies to this topic

#1 lawrenceloklok

lawrenceloklok

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:30

Recently, I am interested in grinding a nib into a finer nib but i don't know whether i am on a right track. I have used 2 hours grinding to reform the shape and smooth the nib. I hope to receive some feedback and comment about my grinding. Also, if you have some grinding tips, please leave your comments.The following is my nib grinding and writing sample.CM180624-122412005.jpg

Before 

CM180624-014030001.jpg

After  

Attached Images

• DSC_0025.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 Inky-Fingers

Inky-Fingers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 13:40

thats one amazing grind. next step is grinding for italic. after that add flex. then you are ready to open a hobby shop for grinding nibs.

Good Luck

#3 dennis_f

dennis_f

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 16:35

That looks great.  The writing sample shows a clear change. How did you go about it?

#4 lawrenceloklok

lawrenceloklok

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 17:15

thats one amazing grind. next step is grinding for italic. after that add flex. then you are ready to open a hobby shop for grinding nibs.

Good Luck

Thank you for giving me this confidence. You are right, grinding for italic is my next plan. But i am curious about adding flex, would you mind to expand it in detail?

#5 lawrenceloklok

lawrenceloklok

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 17:26

That looks great.  The writing sample shows a clear change. How did you go about it?

Follow nib meister works and start to grind and grind until ruining 15 nibs then this is what i get.

#6 dennis_f

dennis_f

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 934 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 18:43

Follow nib meister works and start to grind and grind until ruining 15 nibs then this is what i get.

Fifteen!?!  Ok.  Good to know.  Note to self, when I start down this road, buy a lot of cheap nibs!

#7 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,864 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 20:19

Jinhao. I have destroyed my fair share.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#8 lawrenceloklok

lawrenceloklok

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:52

Fifteen!?!  Ok.  Good to know.  Note to self, when I start down this road, buy a lot of cheap nibs!

It takes 15 nibs just because these botchy nibs usually exist many promblem such as scratchy, tines or even tips are not well balance. To fix these problem is not easy, it needs to practise and practise.

#9 lawrenceloklok

lawrenceloklok

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:02

Jinhao. I have destroyed my fair share.

How many jin hao nibs did you destroy?

#10 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,864 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:34

Maybe 10. It was a good learning experiment. If I want a good, precise grind to an exact line order from Pablo at FPN. I now have more confidence when I want to fine tune a nib.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#11 Tseg

Tseg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 882 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:50

Ha, I’ve been hand grinding my Pelikan M1000 nib for months now. But the nib is so big I have plenty to wear down and retry... I may have finally gotten it perfect this evening (how many times have I said that?). Before this I only destroyed 1 TWSBI nib.

I like the look of your fixed nib, but it looks like it needs better ink flow.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nib grinding

Sponsored Content

|