Platinum 3776 Weird Reverse Writing Scratchiness

lisq199

I recently got myself a Platinum 3776 Century. The nib is not buttery smooth as expected based on some reviews, but the smoothness is very consistent in all directions. I'm planning to smooth out the nib just a little bit, but other than that, I've been enjoying it so far.
The problem I'm having with is reverse writing. Surprisingly, reverse writing with this pen is actually smoother than normal writing in 3 of the 4 directions. The only direction I'm having trouble with is going from left to right, which is scratchy as hell. It almost feels like I'm scraping the paper. From what I can tell, the nib tines are aligned perfectly, so I don't know what's causing the scratchiness. To be honest I don't do a lot of reverse writing, but it just irks me knowing the problem is there.
So here are my questions:
1. Has anyone experienced the same problem? How common is it?
2. How can I fix the problem? Is micro mesh enough for it?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lisq199

• LizEF

• steve50

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got a burr on the right tine. these nibs (like almost all nibs) are not actually tuned to reverse write. So just smooth it a little bit with some micro mesh, and thread a piece of mylar paper between the tines to GENTLY get the burr off.

Most pens require some smoothing to reverse write.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

What's the tipping size? I would think twice before putting pen to micromesh as you can easily damage it. Also the tines may appear aligned to the naked eyes but you can't really tell until you examine it through a loupe. Especially if it is a fine nib...

Edited by steve50

What's the tipping size? I would think twice before putting pen to micromesh as you can easily damage it. Also the tines may appear aligned to the naked eyes but you can't really tell until you examine it through a loupe. Especially if it is a fine nib...

It’s a fine nib, and I did check the alignment with a loupe.

Unless you are really, really bad at it and go at it like an ape, you won't hurt it.

This community really thinks poorly of its members. If you're willing to suffer the hardships of using a fountain pen to the point that you know what micro-mesh is, you are officially above the bar set for "ruining a nib" with micro-mesh. I'd say to be careful with a 3776 UEF, but what kind of sociopath would reverse write with that.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Unless you are really, really bad at it and go at it like an ape, you won't hurt it.

This community really thinks poorly of its members. If you're willing to suffer the hardships of using a fountain pen to the point that you know what micro-mesh is, you are officially above the bar set for "ruining a nib" with micro-mesh. I'd say to be careful with a 3776 UEF, but what kind of sociopath would reverse write with that.

Didn't mean to look down on the OP.. it's just that I've also run a Platinum fine nib across 12000 micromesh once and the tipping was gone in no time :( (Although I do admit I went a bit mad on it)

If you haven't, I'd write for it for a few fills / cartridges before smoothing the nib (on the normal side). I thought I liked buttery smooth nibs (and I did, and do), but after a few fills on the Platinum, I love it's original feedback and wouldn't dream of smoothing it. It's one of my favorite pens (and I actually hate the cigar shape - it's just that I love the way it writes).

I could never have predicted that would happen, but I got the pen after establishing a personal rule to not smooth a nib until after writing at least 2 fills. The rule wasn't due to a bad experience - I've happily and successfully smoothed other nibs - including a Pilot Penmanship EF. I'm not entirely certain why I made the rule - probably from various stories I read here. Anyway, I'm glad I did. I love the feedback on both my 3776 and my Sailor Pro Gear Slim.

If you haven't, I'd write for it for a few fills / cartridges before smoothing the nib (on the normal side). I thought I liked buttery smooth nibs (and I did, and do), but after a few fills on the Platinum, I love it's original feedback and wouldn't dream of smoothing it. It's one of my favorite pens (and I actually hate the cigar shape - it's just that I love the way it writes).

I could never have predicted that would happen, but I got the pen after establishing a personal rule to not smooth a nib until after writing at least 2 fills. The rule wasn't due to a bad experience - I've happily and successfully smoothed other nibs - including a Pilot Penmanship EF. I'm not entirely certain why I made the rule - probably from various stories I read here. Anyway, I'm glad I did. I love the feedback on both my 3776 and my Sailor Pro Gear Slim.

Thats some good advice. Thats actually why I didnt smooth the nib right away. Based on your comment, I think Ill wait a bit longer than I originally planned.

Thats some good advice. Thats actually why I didnt smooth the nib right away. Based on your comment, I think Ill wait a bit longer than I originally planned.

Good choice. :D You can always do it later, but it's pretty much impossible to undo it (and get back to the original feel).

Good and smooth, don't slip and slide on slick paper like butter smooth.....that 'noobies' are told to want.........or think they want. Butter smooth does work on PP paper like 80g copy paper.

You didn't say what width nib you have (bottom)

I must admit I did try a nib or two in reverse, but it was much more trouble than it was worth....if one needs to write that small, get a second fountain pen with super thin nib. That way you have a comfortable nib for writing, and one fine enough to do math with....again writing normal with out weirding your self out.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Dear OP: you have already gotten yourself a Platinum, unless the nib width is B and Cosu, why would you want to reverse the nib?