Mb 13X Variants

siamackz

Updated...

1. Blindcap:
a. There is only the two-piece blind cap design where you can easily dismantle the piston by turning a second threaded component at the end of the barrel.

2. Ink windows:
a. long - discontinued post 1943?
b. medium (some portion still seen when capped)
c. short (ink window not visible when capped)

3. Nibs:
a. 14c, two tone
b. Steel
c. Palladium - In 1938 gold use was restricted to government needs in Germany so MB switched to Palladium nibs (marked with a fancy P instead of the gold markings). The nibs were specially treated to give the two tone appearance of the older gold nibs (which were yellow gold with some rhodium or other white metal plating). If you polish a palladium nib you will bring it back to a white metal. The nibs are just palladium not coated. Then after a year or so, maybe less, MB was required to switch to steel nibs until after WWII. These look similar to the other nibs but are not marked as gold or palladium.
d. Palladium plated - some138 nibs have Palladium plating?
e.....

4. Feed:
a. Ski slope
b. flat
c...

5. Cap rings:
a. Single thick cap band (like the 234 1/2 Luxury version)
b. Single flat cap band
c. two silver bands and centre band only on 139, like the 149 silver rings
d. two gold bands and centre band like celluloid 146
e. two gold bands and centre band but without any engraving
f. No bands, just engraving of two lines and "Meisturstuck" in the centre - war time
g...

6. Cap crown:
a. high tops
b. short tops
c. really short tops (1mm on export models like Italy, or for war time uniform?)
d...

7. Clips:
a. fluted/papyrus clip
b. tie clip
c. waterfall/prismatic clip
d. teardrop clip (plain)
e. teardrop clip w/montblanc engraved
f. typical third/tier clip
g...

8. Sizes:

132 K (short)

9. Imprints:
a. Cap crown or cap top had Meisterstück, not both?
b. After centre gold band/ring on cap had Meisterstück imprint then neither the cap crown nor cap wore an imprint anymore?
c. DRP imprint on barrel stopped post WWII?
d. "L" on some 1930s top models and variations might stand for "Luxus"=luxury?

e. "G" on blind cap after the model number means "glanz"=shine or "glatt"=smooth?

f. "K" imprint after the model number (not nib size) means short?

g...

References - Pics from fontainpen.de; pics from perboard.de; pics from Pavoni's FPN article "An Enthusiasts Collection-Part 2"; pics from Michael Rs blog website; and FPN posts and FPN members' responses to this post denoted by a question mark at the end of the point because I can't seem to verify the accuracy of those facts against a physical pen/pic/official document.

Edited by siamackz

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• dascott

• Michael R.

• penparadise

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Siamackz,

If you look at the "rare ones" pinned topic there also seems to be a 135 which is not mentioned in Rosler. Sadly I'm missing this 135 as well as the 132 and 139.

Hi Siamackz,

If you look at the "rare ones" pinned topic there also seems to be a 135 which is not mentioned in Rosler. Sadly I'm missing this 135 as well as the 132 and 139.

I thought the conclusion of that post was that its a 136. No?

Sorry, rereading one of the other topics about this pen, you are right that most folks do seem to concur that it was a 136. Perhaps the 135 on the blind cap was human error, these were difficult times after all.

Sorry, rereading one of the other topics about this pen, you are right that most folks do seem to concur that it was a 136. Perhaps the 135 on the blind cap was human error, these were difficult times after all.

And congratulation on all your 13x

Im missing all the models ;)

Just a few random thoughts...

Material: ebonite vs. celluloid ... all barrels made from celluloid but caps, cap tops and fillers were made from ebonite on earlier models

Wartime caps with engraving only (no cap bands) only on 132, 134 and 136 ?

138 with raised single cap band only?

Cap bands like on the later 14x pens on 134 and 136 only? Maybe 132 as well but not on 138 and 139?

I‘ve seen pictures of a PL (silber) 136 ... not sure if prototype, custom or regular model.

And no, I don‘t know of any silver trim models. In my pictures it is just a different lighting set-up.

Cheers

Michael

PS: love this project/thread as this is one of my collection foci ... finding all different 13x variations ;-) ...a never ending story...

Just a few random thoughts...

Material: ebonite vs. celluloid ... all barrels made from celluloid but caps, cap tops and fillers were made from ebonite on earlier models

Wartime caps with engraving only (no cap bands) only on 132, 134 and 136 ?

138 with raised single cap band only?

Cap bands like on the later 14x pens on 134 and 136 only? Maybe 132 as well but not on 138 and 139?

Ive seen pictures of a PL (silber) 136 ... not sure if prototype, custom or regular model.

And no, I dont know of any silver trim models. In my pictures it is just a different lighting set-up.

Cheers

Michael

PS: love this project/thread as this is one of my collection foci ... finding all different 13x variations ;-) ...a never ending story...

Thanks Michael, I am glad you are enjoying the post and thank you for your contributions. I am posting a new update based on your suggestions

Updated...

1. Blindcap:

a. There is only the two-piece blind cap design where you can easily dismantle the piston by turning a second threaded component at the end of the barrel.

2. Ink windows:

a. long - discontinued post 1943?

b. medium (some portion still seen when capped)

c. short (ink window not visible when capped)

3. Nibs:

a. 14c, two tone

b. Steel

c. Palladium - In 1938 gold use was restricted to government needs in Germany so MB switched to Palladium nibs (marked with a fancy P instead of the gold markings). The nibs were specially treated to give the two tone appearance of the older gold nibs (which were yellow gold with some rhodium or other white metal plating). If you polish a palladium nib you will bring it back to a white metal. The nibs are just palladium not coated. Then after a year or so, maybe less, MB was required to switch to steel nibs until after WWII. These look similar to the other nibs but are not marked as gold or palladium.

d. Palladium plated - some138 nibs have Palladium plating?

e.....

4. Feed:

a. Ski slope

b. flat

c...

5. Cap rings/bands:

a. Single thick raised cap band (like the 234 1/2 Luxury version). Did all 138s only have this band variant?

b. Single flat cap band

c. two silver bands and centre band only on 139, like the 149 silver rings

d. two gold bands and centre band like celluloid 146. Only on 132, 134, and 136?

e. two gold bands and centre band but without any engraving

f. No bands, just engraving of two lines and "Meisturstuck" in the centre - war time. Only on 132, 134, and 136?

g...

6. Cap crown:

a. high tops

b. short tops

c. really short tops (1mm on export models like Italy, or for war time uniform?)

d...

7. Clips:

a. fluted/papyrus clip

b. tie clip

c. waterfall/prismatic clip

d. teardrop clip (plain)

e. teardrop clip w/montblanc engraved

f. typical third/tier clip

g...

8. Sizes:

132 K (short)

9. Imprints:

a. Cap crown or cap top had Meisterstück, not both?

b. After centre gold band/ring on cap had Meisterstück imprint then neither the cap crown nor cap wore an imprint anymore?

c. DRP imprint on barrel stopped post WWII?

d. "L" on some 1930s top models and variations might stand for "Luxus"=luxury?

e. "G" on blind cap after the model number means "glanz"=shine or "glatt"=smooth?

f. "K" imprint after the model number (not nib size) means short?

g...

10. Material:

a. celluloid: barrels always

b. ebonite: older cap tops, blind caps, and caps too

References - Pics from fontainpen.de; pics from perboard.de; pics from Pavoni's FPN article "An Enthusiasts Collection-Part 2"; pics from Michael Rs blog website; and FPN posts and FPN members' responses to this post denoted by a question mark at the end of the point because I can't seem to verify the accuracy of those facts against a physical pen/pic/official document.

Edited by siamackz

Siamackz,

I suggest you use the wonderful reference books authored by Jens Rösler (Montblanc Diary) and Stefan Wallraffen & Jens Rösler (Collectible Stars). There have been new editions with more information that I've yet to read.

Siamackz,

I suggest you use the wonderful reference books authored by Jens Rösler (Montblanc Diary) and Stefan Wallraffen & Jens Rösler (Collectible Stars). There have been new editions with more information that I've yet to read.

yes they are on my wish list. I have MB in Denmark and quite enjoyed it. The books your mentioned are rather expensive, but theyre on my list

Lucky to own it.

:thumbup: I like that: L stands for Lucky to own it. ;)

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

Sorry guys, but there never was a 135.

Do anyone honestly believe that Montblanc developed and produced a special nib size (#5) within this time of material shortness during the war? Definitely not!

And if you look close tho the engraving of that number it could be even an 8 but it's just a slightly slipped 6.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

• 1 month later...

A quick picture of the (first) original style Meisterstück 132 and a late (last ???) war-time Meisterstück 132:

42953027045_e49e00144c_o.jpgP1390462 by meisterstücke, auf Flickr

some interesting features:

• long flat top vs. slightly pointed short top
  • raised cap band vs. engraving instead of any metal cap band
  • long vs. medium length ink window

It is interesting to see that both caps are of equally length; the short cap top is paired with a longer cap tube.

Also the war-time pen came to me with small non-Meisterstück nib; no way to tell if this was the original set-up or not.

It is curious that the section of the war-time pen appears to be slightly slimmer. Otherwise both pens are almost identical in size.

Unfortunately the clip is not original and will have to be replaced one day. Similar war-time 134 and 136 pens came with a Montblanc tear-drop clip.

...but still a nice flea-market find from a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael R.

A quick picture of the (first) original style Meisterstück 132 and a late (last ???) war-time Meisterstück 132:

42953027045_e49e00144c_o.jpgP1390462 by meisterstücke, auf Flickr

some interesting features:

• long flat top vs. slightly pointed short top
  • raised cap band vs. engraving instead of any metal cap band
  • long vs. medium length ink window
It is interesting to see that both caps are of equally length; the short cap top is paired with a longer cap tube.

Also the war-time pen came to me with small non-Meisterstück nib; no way to tell if this was the original set-up or not.

It is curious that the section of the war-time pen appears to be slightly slimmer. Otherwise both pens are almost identical in size.

Unfortunately the clip is not original and will have to be replaced one day. Similar war-time 134 and 136 pens came with a Montblanc tear-drop clip.

...but still a nice flea-market find from a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers

Michael

Well done, Michael!

Was there ever a 132 without an ink window as per this one on ebay. I think not, at least I haven't ever seen one, but then I am at a loss to explain this one. Seller insists there is no ink window.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seltener-Montblanc-Masterpiece-132-short-Kolbenfuller-14K-Goldfeder-F17/142863375672?hash=item2143521d38:g:dnIAAOSwic5bRjfx