Blue Hour Or Unicef?

TripleOne

Dear FPN readers,

I was waiting at the Montblanc boutique a few days ago when I saw the Manager leaving a Blue Hour Le Grand Ballpoint and Rollerball on the table. It dazzled my eyes, the blue is just outright beautiful. Since then, I've decided to get another Classique rollerball from Montblanc, but I can't quite decide on whether I should get the UNICEF or the Blue Hour.

What are your thoughts on this? Is the Blue Hour worth the extra price?

Since I'll be travelling a lot with this rollerball and my other ballpoints, is it safe to put it in the pocket of my suit or pants? Is it okay to leave it in the hand carry? I have never travelled on an airplane with a rollerball and ballpoint before. I'm worried of it leaking due to the changes in cabin pressure or that it might leak due to it being inside my pocket (heat). Please kindly let me know if you have any tips that you could share with me when it comes to travelling with your Montblanc ballpoints and rollerballs.

Thank you in advance,

James

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TripleOne

• Ghost Plane

• Mulrich

• flipper_gv

Personally, I would never pay a huge premium on ballpoints or rollerballs.

FWIW though, ballpoints are less likely to leak compared to ballpoints or fountain pens. Also, rollerballs could leak into your suit pocket if there is contact between the ball and the cloth (therefore creating a "wicker" effect). This is not the case with ballpoint since the ink is much more viscous.

Oh, my friend, dispense with such drama! Please do not waste your hard earned money on a rollerball or ballpoint. Purchase the fountain pen.

With a little patience and knowledge of fountain pens, you will never regret that purchase! And you will have a writing instrument to last you a lifetime. Should you choose, at a later time, to sell it, the resale value of a fountain pen is much, much higher than that of a rollerball or ballpoint.

And while some may disagree, I have had more ballpoint "issues" in my traveling (i.e. refills exploding, burping, etc), than I ever had from my fountain pens. I remember one instance, in my young and naive days, where I was flying to a major international city. I put several ballpoint pens in a nice pen pouch and put it in my checked luggage. When I arrived at the city, all of the refills in my ballpoint pens (and these were "expensive" refills) had burst and the "ink" was all over and had seeped out of the pouch and on to my beautiful navy blue suit that I had purchased for this occasion. The ink was black. I learned several things from this. The morale of the story: 1. ballpoint ink is permanent and will not come out of wool. Make sure that you always have a back up suit, or make sure the your suit is in a plastic bag! 2. never, ever, ever put ballpoint pens in your checked luggage. 3. who needs ballpoint pens when you can use fountain pens?

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Ignoring the BP/RB thing...

I own a 146 Blue Hour so thats my vote. The UNICEF didnt really appeal to me.

I'm my opinion the cool blue finish of the starwalker is prettier. But obviously a different model.

I find the Blue Hour much more attractive than the Unicef, even when one discounts the politics. But please, buy the fountain pen.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Thank you for your replies!

I've decided to go with the Fountain Pen :)

I did not expect that. Hope you enjoy it.

Welcome to FPN.

Always purchase the writing instrument that makes your heart sing.

Edited by meiers

Ghost Plane, do you use a particular color ink with this stunning pen ? The blue (glass?)is truly an artwork.

I tend to go with easy to rinse inks like DeAtramentis (NOT the shimmer messes or document variety) Steel Blue goes nicely. Irosihizuku is more saturated but plays nicely on the whole. Check the ink reviews if youre not sure. Waterman & Herbin are other safe inks that arent prone to staining.

Mine is a daily user along with my 90th Anniversary and lives in a cheerful orange Delta Markario case.

I tend to go with easy to rinse inks like DeAtramentis (NOT the shimmer messes or document variety) Steel Blue goes nicely. Irosihizuku is more saturated but plays nicely on the whole. Check the ink reviews if youre not sure. Waterman & Herbin are other safe inks that arent prone to staining.

Mine is a daily user along with my 90th Anniversary and lives in a cheerful orange Delta Markario case.

Which 90th Anniversary do you own?

A local seller is selling it online and I'm not sure if it's real or not. It's a reputable store though...

Which 90th Anniversary do you own?

A local seller is selling it online and I'm not sure if it's real or not. It's a reputable store though...

What question do you have on the 90th anniversary? I dont know a ton about it but I do have the 149.

What question do you have on the 90th anniversary? I dont know a ton about it but I do have the 149.

What are the differences on the 90th anniversary?

I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller on whether or not they have the 146 in my desired nib size.

I'll share some pics of it here and ask everyone's help to determine if it's genuine or not.

What are the differences on the 90th anniversary?

I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller on whether or not they have the 146 in my desired nib size.

I'll share some pics of it here and ask everyone's help to determine if it's genuine or not.

The pen is at my office so Ill take a closer look on Monday but the only difference I can think of is the engraving on the nib. When it first came out, I think it was the first to use a rose gold finish but thats now available in the regular line up.

I have the Skeleton. Awesome BB nib.

That is one gorgeous nib!

The pen is at my office so Ill take a closer look on Monday but the only difference I can think of is the engraving on the nib. When it first came out, I think it was the first to use a rose gold finish but thats now available in the regular line up.

I love the nib on the 90th, it's very unique.