The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Problem With Caps

caps

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:18

Over the years I've noticed that snap on, magnetic seal and push on caps seem to have an inherent problem which is sometimes (possibly mostly) not really concerning but occasionally bothersome. I wanted to know what the experience of others was. Of the push on caps that had an issue that wasn't worrisome I would include the Lamy 2000, Safari and AlStar models, some magnetic seal pens (such as the Netunno) and maybe a few more I can't think of right now. I would say they have a failing, but not a serious one, in that the ink tends to dry out slightly in the nib and feed so that when you start writing again after leaving the pen for a day and uncapping, the ink flows perfectly fine but for a few sentences writes in a darker and more concentrated shade. It doesn't really bother me, but it's a little irritating when some snap/push/magnetic caps seem to allow the nib to dry out significantly thus producing hard starts and drying up on the nib and feed. Two culprits I know of are the old model MB 144/5's and the Pilot Prera. Anyone else noticed that this style cap has it's issues?

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:23

it depends. the Parker 51 has a push on cap which is very well designed/engineered and well made.

Usually dryouts are due to poor (inner)cap design and engineering.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 Tseg

Tseg

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:13

I have a Montblanc 24 from the 1960's that had a drying issue but I did some work on the nib and feed that left the feed less exposed and improved ink flow and now I have no issues (I also gave it a solid ultrasonic cleaning).  My Lamy 2000 seems to get juicier the longer I leave my lid off, at least for short spells, but no issue with it capped longer.  No issue with my Carene.  My 2nd hand ST Dupont Olympio XL had a chronic skipping problem until I blasted the nib 4 times with my ultrasonic cleaner and now it has no issues either.  Oh, and recently got a 60 year old PFM that just ran dry until I realized I had to do an initial ink feed ink soak and now no issues capped or uncapped.  But I don't think I've let any of these pens go a week when inked without at least a sentence of writing.  For me, making sure my nibs are juicy has always helped with on-demand writing.

Edited by Tseg, 21 June 2018 - 11:14.

#4 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:18

Yes, the Parker's, Sheaffer slip on's and Waterman slip on's haven't produced a problem for me.

#5 MichaelF

MichaelF

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2018 - 13:21

My Pilot Metropolitan seems to do this, and it's especially noticeable when using Kon-Peki. For a few sentences the ink will be a bit darker, and have more sheen then usual. Then it'll settle down and the ink will appear more normal. I haven't noticed an issue with my Lamy 2000, but I only use black ink in that pen so it's hard to say if it's really occurring.

#6 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 15:58

This was driving me mad, I got single velvet pouches for all, now even Sonnets behave; my few screw cap pens evaporate less.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#7 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,689 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2018 - 16:24

Thankfully my 3 Faber-Castell Loom and my Pilot Kakuno have a nice seal that doesn't do that. My Lamy Al-Star's cap acts out though, the ink dries a bit in the nib and flows regularly after a dozen or so words.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#8 minddance

minddance

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,544 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 18:07

This is observation with my limited number of pens. This list is not absolute nor exhaustive.

Preserves inks the best: Lamy2000, Preppy, Platinum 3776, Sailor Gold nib series, Pilot 74,91,92,742,743,912 all the custom heritage series, TWSBI, Kaweco Sport, Pelikan M200 and above, Faber Castell Loom.

Does not preserve inks 'properly', i.e. evaporate inks: Lamy Safari, Lamy Al-star, Waterman Phileas, Pilot Plumix, Sailor Somiko or Sailor Young, Pluminix, Prera, 78G, Kakuno, Pelikano, Jinhao (too many models), Baoer, many older Chinese pens.

If I finish the ink within 2-3days, this list would not exist.

But if I were to leave my inks in pens for 3-4 weeks, this is where I see a big difference and thus this list. Time is what sets pens apart and it tells me which are the best pens that can preserve inks and which ones fare badly at that.

#9 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,689 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:01

Does not preserve inks 'properly', i.e. evaporate inks: Lamy Safari, Lamy Al-star, Waterman Phileas, Pilot Plumix, Sailor Somiko or Sailor Young, Pluminix, Prera, 78G, Kakuno, Pelikano, Jinhao (too many models), Baoer, many older Chinese pens.

If I finish the ink within 2-3days, this list would not exist.

I purposedly left out the Chinese pens I have because out of all of them only the Wing Sung 618 and 698's caps seal well from what I've seen. The ink in my Jinhao 991, 992, 993, X450 and X750 dries up overnight.

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks, 26 June 2018 - 08:01.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#10 minddance

minddance

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,544 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:27

I purposedly left out the Chinese pens I have because out of all of them only the Wing Sung 618 and 698's caps seal well from what I've seen. The ink in my Jinhao 991, 992, 993, X450 and X750 dries up overnight.

Yes, my experience mirrors yours.

#11 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,271 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:57

I think of it as "pen-darkening", and when it bothers me, take it as a sign that I either need to use the pen more, or clean it out.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#12 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2018 - 16:45

My MB 144s take weeks to dry out.  Pelikans do go for months at a time.  I have found that caps with air leaks are the drying out cause.  I have fixed a few by sealing the leak, with 5 minute set epoxy.  The major culprit was Sonnet, early types, where the factory was alleged to have cracked the inner caps during assembly.  A cap that lets the pen drop off into your pocket is a likely suspect.  Screw on and friction fit caps can both do this.  . 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#13 Precise

Precise

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2018 - 00:55

I've had the same problem.  I prefer the convenience of snap caps, but the seal is inferior.  I should add that some screw cap seals are also inferior.

Do you have a lathe?  I've machined a groove for an O-Ring to make a good snap cap.  These modified pens are my most dry-out resistant pens, better than most screw caps.

But here are a few things I've learned:

Use a 1mm cross-section O-ring.

Place the groove on the body very close to the end of the cap, to minimize sucking ink when uncapping.

You must also point the cap up when uncapping, because is will try to suck ink.

Best,

Alan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: caps

Sponsored Content

|