The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Diamine - November Rain

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,410 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2018 - 19:39

Maybe they will launch it in the UK with a different name.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.  Diamine has NEVER re-release an exclusive of one market (this case Germany) to another market.    

This one looks (in pictures) almost identical to Robert Oster Peppermint, sheen and all. 

C. 

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Sponsored Content

#22 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:46

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.  Diamine has NEVER re-release an exclusive of one market (this case Germany) to another market.    

I was unaware of that fact. Something else will come along for the UK market.  :)

#23 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2018 - 00:52

This one looks (in pictures) almost identical to Robert Oster Peppermint, sheen and all. 

C. 

Ooohhh, I hope not. While I'm fond of Mr Oster's inks, I wasn't overly taken with Peppermint. I'm expecting a delivery form November Rain from Germany any day now.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

#24 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:28

Beautiful color with impressive sheen, delightfully presented, as always, by Mr. Stewart.

Until my dying day (if I live that long) I shall never understand, given the rich and varied world of languages, why people use "the quick brown fox...," invented for testing the function of typewriter keys, to demonstrate pen and ink. Not singling you out, Nick, lots of people default to that phrase for some reason. Famous sayings, quotes, proverbs, poetry, jokes, song lyrics, movie lines and news items only begin to scratch the surface of the infinite combinations of words available to us.

PS - It doesn't really bother me, but it felt good to complain!

James

#25 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:19

Until my dying day (if I live that long) I shall never understand, given the rich and varied world of languages, why people use "the quick brown fox...," invented for testing the function of typewriter keys, to demonstrate pen and ink. 

I used to wonder about this too.

I'll share my thoughts about this, apologizing for going off-topic in this post.

I guess many people resort to that pangram (a sentence containing all the words in the alphabet) because it's the first thing that comes up to their mind. Some people used to practice handwriting in school by rewriting this phrase over and over, so it's always in the back of their mind, ready to be used. Also, it could be that many people can't think or choose or recall one specific quote, saying, joke, poem, etc in that exact moment, so, again, they resort to the pangram to show all the letters in the alphabet with that ink.

I also used to test my inks with this pangram. I got tired of it after a while and now I open my currently reading novel and pick a random sentence from that. But, again, I can understand why many people don't have the time or the motivation to look for a specific quote.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#26 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,410 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2018 - 14:28

Ooohhh, I hope not. While I'm fond of Mr Oster's inks, I wasn't overly taken with Peppermint. I'm expecting a delivery form November Rain from Germany any day now.

No worries.. Peppermint is not my colour either... so, I am not overly enthusiastic with this one.  I like my greens murkier...   :D  :D

Check Nick's post on Peppermint..  https://quinkandblea...-signature-ink/

Cant talk about behaviour... but in pics they look very close.  

C. 

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#27 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2018 - 15:25

How I wish Diamine would include this and the Skull & Roses as their standard ink line-up....

#28 pen_master

pen_master

Evelyn Waugh was a man.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2018 - 22:01

Very nice script when writing November Rain.

pen_master

#29 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:03

Don’t worry. I have both and although there are some similarities the November Rain is a superior ink imo. Although in the same colour group they are not an exact match. The Oster is on the dry side for me whereas NR has better lubrication. If sheen is your thing NR wins on that as well.

Verba volant, scripta manent

#30 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:32

I used to wonder about this too.

I'll share my thoughts about this, apologizing for going off-topic in this post.

I guess many people resort to that pangram (a sentence containing all the words in the alphabet) because it's the first thing that comes up to their mind. Some people used to practice handwriting in school by rewriting this phrase over and over, so it's always in the back of their mind, ready to be used. Also, it could be that many people can't think or choose or recall one specific quote, saying, joke, poem, etc in that exact moment, so, again, they resort to the pangram to show all the letters in the alphabet with that ink.

I also used to test my inks with this pangram. I got tired of it after a while and now I open my currently reading novel and pick a random sentence from that. But, again, I can understand why many people don't have the time or the motivation to look for a specific quote.

Or Lorem ipsum...  :D

#31 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2018 - 13:00

Just for anyone interested, fountainfeder has restocked the ink as of today, Skull & Roses also on the way

Edited by penzel_washinkton, 20 July 2018 - 13:01.

#32 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,679 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2018 - 17:24

@ Manalto -- The reason that "the quick brown fox..." gets used is simply because it's the best *known* of the pangrams.  And while it *was* invented for typists (or possible for people doing Morse code practice), it's also useful for anyone practicing their penmanship (at least for English speakers) because it does use all 26 alphabet letters.  

I know that I have trouble every time I write the word "marzipan" in cursive because the "r" to "z" connection just does not make sense to me somehow.  And trust me -- I actually write that word a LOT because I make up marzipan fruit all the time for gift baskets and receptions (I have 5 things coming up in a couple of weeks -- and those are JUST the ones I know of so far).

If I was better at foreign languages I'd be interested in seeing pangrams for non-English: German of course has the vowels with umlauts as well as unmarked vowels, and the ß (esset) character; French has the cedilla; Spanish has the ñ (enye); Polish has some letters with a short diagonal slash through them (don't know what they're called, or if there are separate unmarked letters).  I presume that those are all considered as being separate alphabet letters (I know that's certainly the case for ñ -- my mother minored in Spanish in college).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: @Lgsoltek -- "Lorem ipsum... " has a different use.  It's a form of "Greeking" -- text used as a space filler when doing graphic arts/advertising design when you don't actually have the text available yet.  The advantage is that you can approximate the space you'll need for the actual text, and play with the font and size, but since it's in Latin (which, let's face it, most people don't know unless they've studied it in high school or college) it doesn't detract from what the actual design is -- you KNOW that it's a placeholder.

Edited by inkstainedruth, 20 July 2018 - 17:34.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#33 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:25

Yes, I know what a pangram is. Why would you need to include all the letters in the alphabet in one sentence unless you're only writing one sentence, once, for penmanship practice? (For those children  who are extremely quick studies?)  If you repeat that dreary sentence several times, you're only practicing the letter sequence transitions found in that one sentence. Aside from being boring and borderline nonsensical, "quick brown fox" is not useful for penmanship practice. It's for typewriters, to make sure all the keys work. If you'd like to demonstrate pen and ink, which was the intent here, (not practicing penmanship) you don't need to see every letter of the alphabet to appreciate the ink. ("I loved that ink but the "W" is a deal-breaker" ?)

Thanks for your explanation of lorem ipsum. It's used throughout publishing, not just in advertising. Of all the possibilities for practicing penmanship, lorem ipsum is, to say the least, an unlikely and cumbersome candidate. Lgsoltek may have meant it with humor intended; there is a grinning smiley.

Edited by Manalto, 21 July 2018 - 02:32.

James

#34 Pete-M

Pete-M

Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2018 - 21:01

https://www.fountainfeder.eu/
Just ordered the November Rain due to the awesome review and samples.
Also a Clairefontaine Flying Spirit a5 notebook while I'm there, black with the feather, which I read means to Be Inspiring....

Edited by Pete-M, 08 September 2018 - 21:05.

Sponsored Content

|