Lamy 2000 Ef - Nib Grind To Oblique / Stub

TheLostOne

I'd run into a Geha 790 OEF on the barrel , but someone had swapped nibs to an EF, but it was a maxi-semi-flex, instead of a semi-flex so I kept it instead of returning it. It was not the fault of the seller who knew little to nothing about pens....but a previous owner, who must have found the OEF not sat6isfactory.

Seeing how thin EF (vintage EF a tad thinner than modern Euro EF) really was (well, being a maxi, wrote wider than EF because I didn't have a super light Hand then.), I decided not to chase more vintage OEF's in my eyes were not sharp enough to see much if any pattern.....and much of the pattern that could be was from the nib's flex....at least semi-flex is necessary for an oblique with any real pattern of line variation.

I do find my maxi-semi-flex Pelikan 400NN OF to be a good pattern. I have other OF's....don't remember which off the top of my head, but one is a 30 degree grind....more than likely a semi-flex.

With semi or maxi, one gets the pattern from the semi-flex so that makes a huge difference with thin obliques.

You have the basic flair, of the start of a letter in a word being fatter in semi-flex, and that is added to the oblique. If you demand more flair or line variation you get it....if you wish less then that too is possible by using a lighter Hand.

With regular flex, semi-nail or nail, there is just too little pattern compared to semi-flex to be worth wasting money on!!!

If one never has had a vintage '50-60's German semi-flex oblique***, and one wishes hard enough, there could be some pattern in semi-nail or regular flex..........some pattern....not much. A shadow of the real thing. (One insisted he didn't want more pattern than what modern gave him, but he didn't have a vintage oblique....a case of sour grapes???)

*** The '50's nail Lamy 27 OM nail was a no pattern oblique, for those who cant/rotate their nib to see the top. If not a left hander, I suspect left eye dominance.

Perhaps if a modern semi-nail or regular flex oblique nib was stubbed there could be some pattern to the oblique..................same for a nail. I'm not going to do it to mine, in I have them in real. Some day I'll be forced by age to thin my collection, and folks will want original unmodified nibs....or pay a bit more for it.

If I didn't have the real thing, I'm sure I'd turned them into stubs long ago.....catch 22.....if I didn't have the real thing, I'd not know what I was missing....so wouldn't stub them unless made aware stubbing the the 'American Bump Under' nib would give it more pattern.

However I so recommend the '50-70 era semi-flex nibs of Soennecken, MB, Pelikan, Geha....don't have but expect Kaweco nibs of the era to be the same good.

Of course I've been recommending them since I got my very first semi-flex pen, which was a Pelikan 140 OB.....a decade ago.

Even after having modern obliques......................and ranting about great semi-flex stubbed oblique nibs till I'm blue in the face for a decade.........folks will buy modern junk oblique nibs.

Google translator makes even German easy.

I do have some 16 vintage German stubbed obliques in semi&maxi-semi-flex, and three 'modern' a W. Germany 200 OM, a pre'98 600 OBB and a 1005 OBB.

As much as I'd hoped with the W.Germany 200, because the W.Germany regular flex nib is a tad more springy than the '90-97 era version. The tipping is fairly flat, but not stubbed....compared to a post '98 fat and blobby nib like the 1005, neither the regular flex 200 nor the 600 oblique nibs are worth buying...........if one wants real line variation. If one is willing to do with a shadow of it.............fine. Go for it.

If going out of ones way and buying a semi-flex vintage oblique for a fair price on German Ebay, is too much trouble, and paying an arm and a leg for buy now anywhere in the world is too expensive because one is too lazy to Hunt...................so be it.

Why settle for third best when best can be had in the auction section of German Ebay from E40-60 for a Geha 760, Osmia can be had as cheap as E60... :yikes: (Price from a decade ago) ...could be you need to re-cork, but so what...good for the next 70 years) 90-100 for a 140, 100-120 for a 400/400nn, if one goes to German Ebay.

Go to the auction only section ...and one stays away from the Buy Now Idiot, button. ....That will give you Stateside prices***....which is what they are aiming at.....don't think there are that many Idiots in Germany...but one never knows.....lots of impatient well to do folks in the wide world.

***If I was to sell a pen, I'd never ever do it on German Ebay when I can put it up on Stateside Ebay.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• jmccarty3

• TheLostOne

• Karmachanic