Pilot Ch 912 Leaks

fotojake

I have had a Pilot 912 for about a month and recently when I take the cap off it has ink on the feed section. Sometimes there is just ink around the rim of the section. There is no nib creep

A little back story: the pen would have hard starts on certain papers. Sometimes the feed would run dry, so I would prime the pump to force a little ink into the feed. I tried Rhodia, Travelers Notebook and G. Lalo paper with Noodlers Greene cactus Eel and it got worse, so I went back to Herbins Bleu Nuit. Never seemed to have a problem with regular, run of the mill copy paper. While it was inked up with the Noodlers I took a brass sheet to floss out the nib. I inserted a corner of the sheet into the breather hole and lightly pulled it along the feed channel to get the sheet between the tines. When I pulled out a loupe to check the nib I saw an itsy-bitsy sliver of what looked like a piece of the feed stuck between the tines at the tip of the nib. It was very even looking; smooth, not jagged. It was so small it wouldnt be able to be seen with the naked eye and it fell out when I went to blow it off.

I have never taken the feed out of the section. The only fiddling I have done is trying to floss the tines.

Now, I read online that there is a small plastic dam in the feed (that helps control the ink flow?). Could that have been what I saw stuck in the tines at the tip of the nib? Is there even a so called dam in the feed? The feed doesnt leak while I am writing. I dont carry the pen in a pocket, but in a pen sleeve I keep in my work bag.

Any thoughts? Im stumped.

Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fotojake

• minddance

• Uncial

• Olya

It's sad to say, but Pilot's seem prone to this after a while, although usually a lot more than a month. Falcon's are notorious for it after a few years and there doesn't seem (yet) to be any way to fix it.

It's sad to say, but Pilot's seem prone to this after a while, although usually a lot more than a month. Falcon's are notorious for it after a few years and there doesn't seem (yet) to be any way to fix it.

Really? That's disappointing. Do you know which models or colours seem to be affected besides the Falcon?

Really? That's disappointing. Do you know which models or colours seem to be affected besides the Falcon?

I haven't seen anyone say it about the metal Falcon but you'll find plenty on the plastic one leaking. I've read a few reports of the 912 and 823 leaking and burping but I've had an 823 for 4 years and it's fine. The Prera model is prone to leaking, probably at the same failure rate as the Falcon. Despite the number of reports on the web it's probably best regarded as not common but not altogether rare....just to keep it all suitably vague!

Edit:

Should have noted too that there have been more than a few threads here where people have stated that their Pilot VP leaks or traps ink in behind the shutter. Haven't found that myself with mine.

Edited by Uncial

Yes, I share your enjoyment in a 74sfm. I have a 912sm and it has served me well for a number of years now. I am sorry to hear about the leak. Perhaps contact Pilot and see what they have to say on this matter?

I haven't seen anyone say it about the metal Falcon but you'll find plenty on the plastic one leaking. I've read a few reports of the 912 and 823 leaking and burping but I've had an 823 for 4 years and it's fine. The Prera model is prone to leaking, probably at the same failure rate as the Falcon. Despite the number of reports on the web it's probably best regarded as not common but not altogether rare....just to keep it all suitably vague!

Edit:

Should have noted too that there have been more than a few threads here where people have stated that their Pilot VP leaks or traps ink in behind the shutter. Haven't found that myself with mine.

This is the first time I hear of leaking issues (with any Pilot model)!

In terms of those problems with the VP line, I am aware of those, it is one of the reasons why I hestitate to pull the trigger on a VP (Decimo actually is the model I have my eye on, and the Fermo!).

To the OP, I recommend contacting the seller and if that fails Pilot in your country or the country closest to yours. Whenever I have an issue with a newly purchased pen (very rare, either I've been very lucky or I don't know, but I've very rarely encountered out of the box issues..), I always contact the seller and so far sellers have been very helpful and exchanged pens or refunded.

I did contact Pilot USA and they told me to ship it to them despite the fact that I ordered it from a Japanese seller listed on amazon. When I get around to doing that and get the pen back from Pilot, I'll post the results. Pilot did respond to my query within an hour after submitting my dilemma. That impressed me.

• 1 month later...

Custom Heritage 912 update:

It's been almost a month and Pilot sent me back my pen, which I received today.

In a nutshell: the problem I encountered was me using ink that I shouldn't be using in the pen. Pilot recommends using just their inks.

Now, as for their customer service: Initial contact was replied to within an hour with instructions on where to send pen. Pen arrives and Holly, who I dealt with in customer service the whole time, told me that the technician had tested the pen and deduced my problem was from improper ink usage. Went on to say the pen would be cleaned and checked completely. I asked her to have it shipped back with a certain arrival date as I would be out of town. She instructed the technician to ship accordingly. Pen arrived today, as I requested, and the packing job was unbelievable! You would think that they were sending me a Ming Dynasty vase. On top of that, they included a 30ml bottle of Iroshizuku ink! For free. Everything they did for me was free - and I bought the pen online from a seller in Japan via Amazon. No USA warranty, just Japanese.

Pilot USA customer service pulled out all the stops on this one. I am so impressed.

Custom Heritage 912 update:

It's been almost a month and Pilot sent me back my pen, which I received today.

In a nutshell: the problem I encountered was me using ink that I shouldn't be using in the pen. Pilot recommends using just their inks.

Now, as for their customer service: Initial contact was replied to within an hour with instructions on where to send pen. Pen arrives and Holly, who I dealt with in customer service the whole time, told me that the technician had tested the pen and deduced my problem was from improper ink usage. Went on to say the pen would be cleaned and checked completely. I asked her to have it shipped back with a certain arrival date as I would be out of town. She instructed the technician to ship accordingly. Pen arrived today, as I requested, and the packing job was unbelievable! You would think that they were sending me a Ming Dynasty vase. On top of that, they included a 30ml bottle of Iroshizuku ink! For free. Everything they did for me was free - and I bought the pen online from a seller in Japan via Amazon. No USA warranty, just Japanese.

Pilot USA customer service pulled out all the stops on this one. I am so impressed.

:)

What nonsense, any fountain pen ink can be used without any problem at all. Ink of any brand would not be reason for leaks.

Such expertise from Pilot. But certainly, I am no authority, please be obedient and do as Pilot says :) Now, let's all be good.

I also have a Pilot CH 92 and I use the Iroshizuku ink with it but I find that it leaks and now the cap is stained with ink which I don't know how to remove.

Any advise?