An Elegant Script For A Modern Age.

andreasn

I realized a while back that traditional printing is a very inefficient and uncomfortable script. And it also just doesn't look very elegant. While cursive on the other hand doesn't work well with the ballpoints most people use today. We simply don't have a good modern script. So I set upon myself the task of creating one.

I had a few goals with this script. Every letter should be written with a single stroke, as to not waste energy on unnescessary hand movements. It should be fast and easy to write and read. It should work equally well wether you use a ballpoint fountain pen or pencil. And it should be better than what we have in every way.

I decided to have it be slanted because the movements get easier on the hand tgat way. And I also made it non-joined-up because I found that writing cursive with a ballpoint was tiring for the hand when it doesn't give you opportunity to rest when lifting up the pen.

I avoided straight lines as much as possible and made most of the basic strokes follow the natural curve of the hand.

I borrowed a few letters from cursive just simplified them a bit, a few letters from standard print. Some I got from much older scripts like the lower case "d". And a couple like the lower case "f" I came up with my own way of doing it.

Here is all the letterforms and a bit of sample writing.

https://i.imgur.com/dzpM8ju.jpg

Please try writing a bit in this script and tell me what you think. Don't worry, it's super easy to learn.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• azbobcat

• andreasn

• sciumbasci

Top Posters In This Topic

As my Parkinson's has gotten worse so has my handwriting. I still write in cursive with a modified print letters for *some* -- not all -- capitals -- A, D, E, I, Q, S, V, and W. Pens make a difference: CHEAP BIC-like ballpoints have me returning to Fountain Pens, but I have had to go UP in nib size from Fine => Medium +.

Instead since I spend much of my time on a keyboard (a HEAVY duty, IBM Model M 101 Key Keyboard that can take a pounding day in and day out, not some CHEAP flimsy keyboard), I have started to experiment with different FONTS and sizes in lieu of a cursive script. It is indeed a "Elegant Script" for a Modern Age!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files