Scratchy Nib On A New Lamy Al-Star

enipper

I recently purchased a new Lamy Al-Star with a fine nib from Goulet Pens. I already have a Lamy-Vista with a fine nib and the pen writes very smooth. This new nib on my Al-Star is writing extremely scratchy. Will my new nib become smoother with time or is there something I can do to make it smoother? I have tried different inks with it to check if it is the ink and it seems to be the nib.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• enipper

• Mr.Rene

• sentience

The nib may well need adjusting. The first thing to do is to check the alignment of the tines under magnification.

I recently purchased a new Lamy Al-Star with a fine nib from Goulet Pens. I already have a Lamy-Vista with a fine nib and the pen writes very smooth. This new nib on my Al-Star is writing extremely scratchy. Will my new nib become smoother with time or is there something I can do to make it smoother? I have tried different inks with it to check if it is the ink and it seems to be the nib.

If it is brand new and you haven't already done anything to the nib, I'd talk to the Goulet team about an exchange.

If it's too late for that or you want to risk doing it yourself, the search here and YouTube for nib tuning advice. As @sentience already mentioned, step one is to get a loupe or similar magnifying tool (glass, phone app, something) and check the tines for alignment. If they aren't aligned, then you need to fix that first. If that isn't sufficient, then you move on to smoothing.

They seem to look pretty aligned? Do some pens just get smoother the more you write with them? My other Lamy is more than four years old?

They seem to look pretty aligned? Do some pens just get smoother the more you write with them? My other Lamy is more than four years old?

It depends what's causing the scratchiness (and whether that's the correct term for this), and the surface on which you're writing.

Most people seem to define "scratchy" as some bit of metal physically digging into the paper (even if it's to slight to see without magnification). Thus, when tines are misaligned, it's the inner edge of the lower tine that is digging in. This could also happen with an outer edge that's not smoothed well, or with a burr or similar flaw in/on the metal that touches the page. Depending on the severity of this sort of flaw, fixing it by writing on fountain pen friendly paper could take years, if it happens at all. Usually, one needs either to align the tines so that the inner edges aren't digging into the paper, or smooth the outer edge/burr with some sort of abrasive (usually 12000-grit micromesh).

If you are using the word "scratchy" to describe excess feedback (i.e. the nib is not as smooth as you would like), then the part which needs to be worn smooth presumably needs less work to become so. Thus, the writing time needed to achieve smoothness decreases, but it's not going to be measured in hours or even days. If this is the case, I would generally recommend using at least two converters of a nice ink (preferably lubricated), before deciding that the nib needs work - adjust based on your own experience and therefore certainty of the cause of the problem and how to solve it.

If smoothing is definitely in order, I recommend getting the micromesh (rather than using things not made for this purpose, but sometimes recommended), watching several reputable videos (by people like SBRE Brown, The Pen Habit, Goulet Pens, etc. - people with a reputation in the community and lots of videos out there), and then going very slowly and gently, with frequent checking of the results.

Based on my personal experience, get sheet micromesh, not micromesh pads (these have cushioning between two micromesh sheets - you don't want cushioning).

NOTE: If you haven't watched several videos telling you what to look for and where, please do. The top of the tines can seem aligned while the actual writing surface is not aligned (or vice versa). It's the writing surface of the tipping material you care about.

I have tried several inks in it (Lamy Vibrant Pink, Lamy Blue/Black, Diamine Red, and Waterman Serenity Blue), but I am not very knowledgeable about fountain pens despite having used them for a while. I will definitely try to write with some more lubricated inks. Are there any you would recommend?

The most lubricated ink I've got seems to be De Atramentis Steel Blue.

This thread should give you some ideas: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/265842-inky-t-o-d-lubricating-inks/

More:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/333863-good-lubricating-ink-for-very-fine-narrow-nibs/

(that one reminds me that lots of Sailor inks are probably good in this regard)

...maybe look for comments from the frequent ink reviewers, they probably know better than most of us.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/8973-lubricated-inks/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/296493-most-lubricated-inks/

...hopefully that gets you started. :)

The fine Z50s are always a bit fickly. Many scratchy ones. But adjustment is often easy an then the write well.

Edited by Astron

I have had some of these. I put the nib to paper and let it write side to side. If ir is scratchy moving to the left I assume the right tine is lower. If it is scratchy moving to the right I assume the left tine is lower and dragging. I push down gently on the tine that seems lower until the trouble quits. Keeps my fingernails cleaner. This might seem ridiculous and unorthodox, and you need to sense the nib carefully through the pen. Probably all wrong, but it works for me.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have had some of these. I put the nib to paper and let it write side to side. If ir is scratchy moving to the left I assume the right tine is lower. If it is scratchy moving to the right I assume the left tine is lower and dragging. I push down gently on the tine that seems lower until the trouble quits. Keeps my fingernails cleaner. This might seem ridiculous and unorthodox, and you need to sense the nib carefully through the pen. Probably all wrong, but it works for me.

Just trying to make sure it's clear for newbies - this sounds like you're pushing the lower tine even lower, which would make scratching worse. I'm thinking you either flip the nib, or you meant to say you push the lower tine up, or the higher tine lower, or...?

You could contact Lamy. They were very supportive when I had an issue with a scratchy nib. I returned it to them and was sent a new replacement without any fuss when I lived in a country without Lamy retailers.

I contacted the Goulet Pen Company and they are sending me a replacement nib. Maybe this one will be as smooth as my other Lamy nib. I will definitely be looking into a lubricated ink though. Thanks for the advice.

If they're letting you keep the original, it could be a good one whereon to practice your nib tuning. :D

I'm 3 for 3 with scratchy nibs from Lamy. I honestly just thought they intended them that way for some reason.

C

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

It won't get very much smoother with writing. Replacement or refund is the way to go after you have checked for alignment.

Do not micromesh if you want to exchange/refund the nib :)

Your best option would probably be contacting the person/place of where you bought it. Hope it'll get resolved soon.

Hi,

One of the things that I see extremely often with the Lamy Z50 type nibs is that people pull them off the pen to look at them, then when they put them back on they either are pushed in sideways or aren't seated all the way. Both of these will make the tines go out of alignment.

If you are going to take the nib off, when you put it on, make sure that it is seated all the way and that it is sitting straight and centered on the feed. Also make sure that the tips of the tines are aligned. If they are aligned when the nib is off the pen and misaligned when it is on the pen, then most likely it is not seated on the feed straight.

In my experience, I have seen many many Lamy pens with Z50 nib, and this is the most common cause for problems. The nibs themselves seem to be fairly consistent and out of the box, most of them write well. As long as they are installed properly there shouldn't be too many problems.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon