The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Completely Alcohol-Proof Red-Black Inks?

red artist copics copic i dont know what im suppose d to tag im new

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 velocirants

velocirants

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:08

Alright, I am an artist who *loves* brush pens. When I work digitally, I mostly use a red-black (actually, more of a pink-black) for lineart, but I couldn't find a brush pen that had a red-black. Until now.

https://www.jetpens....r-comics/pt/879

However, this pen isn't refillable. Not only do I feel wasteful wasting a whole pen just because there are no inks to refill it with, but I also have significant environmental concerns. I work with Copic markers (which are alcohol-based), so I was wondering if there's some ink out there that is pink-black or red-black and is completely alcohol-proof (no smearing at all when really rubbing into it with alcohol). If not, is there any way I could make an ink like that myself?

Edited by velocirants, 19 June 2018 - 04:17.

Sponsored Content

#2 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2018 - 13:38

Noodler's makes a line of "forgery resistant" inks which they claim are impervious to alcohols and solvents.  Noodler's Red-Black is a member of that family and might be good for you to check out.  Empire Red and Fox Red also fall into this family.

I took a course in fashion illustration about a year ago, and was using Noodler's Heart of Darkness (one of their "bulletproof" inks) for lineart with a Pilot extra-fine nib, together with water-based colored pencils and Copic markers.  I didn't have any smearing issues.

Edited by ErrantSmudge, 19 June 2018 - 13:44.

#3 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 00:44

I want to point out that the Noodlers are everything-resistant ONLY when bonded to paper. So the aforementioned extra-fine nib would put down very little ink with a good paper contact for bonding.

But a brush pen would probably lay down too much ink. Just the layer on the paper would bond. But all the dried ink atop would just sit there, waiting to be rehydrated.

#4 zephyrdeluxe

zephyrdeluxe

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:50

The only ink that holds up to alcohol *and* abrasion that I'm aware of from an art store perspective is acrylic ink.

Molotow sells a line of refillable brush nib pens (and replacement nibs, like Copic) in a couple of size options that might be an alternative option.  I think they have a 1 or 2mm brush marker you could fill with something like Golden High Flow, Liquitex Ink, etc. 

I can't think of a true red black out of the bottle but it would be relatively easy to mix one to your taste, especially since the markers have measurement marks on the ink reservoir.

#5 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,338 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 17:58

The red in Noodlers Red-Black doesn't bond to the paper; it washes away leaving the black component.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: red, artist, copics, copic, i dont know what im suppose, d to tag im new

Sponsored Content

|