Advice For Ballpoint & Rollerball

TripleOne

Hello!

I'm James, from Indonesia and I'm new to the Fountain Pen Network Forum. I am currently in Tokyo, Japan and I was lucky enough to be gifted a Meisterstuck Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint Pen as a graduation gift. I liked it a lot and a few weeks later I decided to get the Meisterstuck Le Petit Prince Classique Ballpoint Pen since my family & I grew up loving Le Petit Prince.

I am now considering getting a rollerball instead of another ballpoint. I'll be using it daily to take notes in class, write in my journal, and it'll be for work as well. I am interested in:

Meisterstuck UNICEF Resin Classique or Le Grand

Meisterstuck Ultra Black Resin Classique or Le Grand

Meisterstuck Red-Gold Coated Resin Classique or Le Grand

The few questions I have in my mind are, is it worth it getting another Montblanc pen that is a rollerball? Will the UNICEF Resin Classique be too similar in terms of look as compared to the Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint? Should I stay with the Classique size or try out the Le Grand? And how long does the refill last if used daily for the rollerball?

If I'm not mistaken, are the two pens that I currently own referenced as 164?

Sorry for asking a bunch of questions >.<

Thank you so much for your help,

James

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TripleOne

• meiers

• adim

• Amit.

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!

I'm James, from Indonesia and I'm new to the Fountain Pen Network Forum. I am currently in Tokyo, Japan and I was lucky enough to be gifted a Meisterstuck Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint Pen as a graduation gift. I liked it a lot and a few weeks later I decided to get the Meisterstuck Le Petit Prince Classique Ballpoint Pen since my family & I grew up loving Le Petit Prince.

I am now considering getting a rollerball instead of another ballpoint. I'll be using it daily to take notes in class, write in my journal, and it'll be for work as well. I am interested in:

Meisterstuck UNICEF Resin Classique or Le Grand

Meisterstuck Ultra Black Resin Classique or Le Grand

Meisterstuck Red-Gold Coated Resin Classique or Le Grand

The few questions I have in my mind are, is it worth it getting another Montblanc pen that is a rollerball? Will the UNICEF Resin Classique be too similar in terms of look as compared to the Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint? Should I stay with the Classique size or try out the Le Grand? And how long does the refill last if used daily for the rollerball?

If I'm not mistaken, are the two pens that I currently own referenced as 164?

Sorry for asking a bunch of questions >.<

Thank you so much for your help,

James

Welcome! I personally like the Le Grand size and I use most of the time the Fineliner refill (labeled as broad, but it is not that broad). Very smooth and reliable writer for note-taking and editing.I dont use it extensively, so it is difficult to comment on how long the refill usually lasts.

Edited by A1979

Hello and welcome on FPN,

You should refer to this post with another member had the same kind of questions than you and you will have lot of answers related to them and difference between standard RB and LeGrand RB related to refills: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/335748-mb-ballpoint-rollerball-users-please-help/

This is an example of the different refills I have in BP and RB so you have an idea. I have new one since but not updated the test:

28364677138_9a3a416f11_c.jpg

If you still have other questions don't hesitate. So for me the main question you should have to decide between standard and LeGrand RB is about the color you want to write. If it is only black and/or blue, you could take LeGrand that has bigger refill so you want be able to write longer with it but if you want to write with different colors proposed by MB (green, orange, violet, etc.) you have to buy a standard RB because in LeGrand you have only black and blue refills and in standard RB you have lot of choice of colors.

Edited by Cyrille

You should refer to this post with another member had the same kind of questions than you and you will have lot of answers related to them and difference between standard RB and LeGrand RB related to refills: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/335748-mb-ballpoint-rollerball-users-please-help/

This is an example of the different refills I have in BP and RB so you have an idea. I have new one since but not updated the test:

If you still have other questions don't hesitate. So for me the main question you should have to decide between standard and LeGrand RB is about the color you want to write. If it is only black and/or blue, you could take LeGrand that has bigger refill so you want be able to write longer with it but if you want to write with different colors proposed by MB (green, orange, violet, etc.) you have to buy a standard RB because in LeGrand you have only black and blue refills and in standard RB you have lot of choice of colors.

Lovely comparison.

Hello!

[...]

Hi James and welcome to the forum!

As the OP in the thread Cyrille linked above, although I'm not very experienced with Montblanc (my first MB fountain pen was purchased around 6 months ago), I thought I'd chime in and add my impressions after the decisions that I made, namely to buy a Brahms rollerball and a Le Grand ballpoint.

First of all, I should add that I prefer thicker pens, so for me, the Classique line was out of question. As Cyrille notes, however, I decided to not go with the Le Grand line for the rollerball, especially because of the available refill colors. I'm not writing rainbows, but I do enjoy the flexibility of changing colors every once in a while. Being such expensive pens that I intend to keep for the rest of my life, I wouldn't like it to be forced to use only black or blue inks (and it seems that MB is not intending to change their offer for Le Grand, I reckon).

However, fortunately, for the ballpoint, if I'm not mistaken, the only refill that is special is the "capless", for the Heritage 1912 model. So by purchasing the Le Grand ballpoint I got the best of both worlds: a thick pen and the whole range of refill colors.

By the same token, I bought the Brahms rollerball because I love the design and it's thick enough (comparable to a Le Grand or more precisely, the 146 fountain pen), but I can use any refill color I want. Yes, the refills for the Le Grand line have a slightly larger ink capacity, but that didn't convince me, as they come only in blue and black.

Now, my personal opinion for your case would be to not get a ballpoint, just for diversity. Moreover, the experience of writing with a rollerball pen is more akin to that of using a fountain pen. The rollerball writes under its own weight and its ink is fluid (which also makes it prone to feathering and ghosting on so papers). But I think a rollerball is a nice compromise between a fountain pen and a ballpoint, for many reasons.

I, for one, own and use:

- 3 fountain pens (146, 149 and Le Petit Prince resin) when I write peacefully at home (with 3 different colors for highlights and edits);

- 1 ballpoint (Le Grand) for when I'm in a hurry or just scribble;

- 1 rollerball (Brahms) for something in between or when I feel excessively protective with my fountain pens. :)

I didn't finish any refill, neither the ballpoint, nor the rollerball (I only have them for a week or so), so I cannot comment on their lifespan.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your instruments!

Best,

Adrian

Edited by adim

Thank you for sharing the photo. I might get a Broad refill for my ballpoint, I heard it's smoother when compared to the M refill.

I also love how much sharper and fluid the ink is for the Rollerball.

Hi James and welcome to the forum!

As the OP in the thread Cyrille linked above, although I'm not very experienced with Montblanc (my first MB fountain pen was purchased around 6 months ago), I thought I'd chime in and add my impressions after the decisions that I made, namely to buy a Brahms rollerball and a Le Grand ballpoint.

First of all, I should add that I prefer thicker pens, so for me, the Classique line was out of question. As Cyrille notes, however, I decided to not go with the Le Grand line for the rollerball, especially because of the available refill colors. I'm not writing rainbows, but I do enjoy the flexibility of changing colors every once in a while. Being such expensive pens that I intend to keep for the rest of my life, I wouldn't like it to be forced to use only black or blue inks (and it seems that MB is not intending to change their offer for Le Grand, I reckon).

However, fortunately, for the ballpoint, if I'm not mistaken, the only refill that is special is the "capless", for the Heritage 1912 model. So by purchasing the Le Grand ballpoint I got the best of both worlds: a thick pen and the whole range of refill colors.

By the same token, I bought the Brahms rollerball because I love the design and it's thick enough (comparable to a Le Grand or more precisely, the 146 fountain pen), but I can use any refill color I want. Yes, the refills for the Le Grand line have a slightly larger ink capacity, but that didn't convince me, as they come only in blue and black.

Now, my personal opinion for your case would be to not get a ballpoint, just for diversity. Moreover, the experience of writing with a rollerball pen is more akin to that of using a fountain pen. The rollerball writes under its own weight and its ink is fluid (which also makes it prone to feathering and ghosting on so papers). But I think a rollerball is a nice compromise between a fountain pen and a ballpoint, for many reasons.

I, for one, own and use:

- 3 fountain pens (146, 149 and Le Petit Prince resin) when I write peacefully at home (with 3 different colors for highlights and edits);

- 1 ballpoint (Le Grand) for when I'm in a hurry or just scribble;

- 1 rollerball (Brahms) for something in between or when I feel excessively protective with my fountain pens. :)

I didn't finish any refill, neither the ballpoint, nor the rollerball (I only have them for a week or so), so I cannot comment on their lifespan.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your instruments!

Best,

Adrian

Thank you for the warm welcome Adrian!

I'll be heading over to the Montblanc store tomorrow in Tokyo to test out both the Classique and Le Grand. I'll have to see which model I'll be going for... I do like the UNICEF Resin, but I'm worried it'll be too similar when compared to the Platinum-Coated Ballpoint. Is it also worth it to stock up on ballpoint and rollerball refills? I'm hoping it won't leak since I'll be flying quite often.

I'm also confused with the reference numbers, how do I know what the reference numbers of my Montblanc writing instruments are (ex. 146, 149, 161, 162..)?

In the future, I do plan on learning how to use a fountain pen.

Cheers,

James

I would say that the flow is smoother with the fineliner refill in the rollerball pen, since it doesn't have a ball (as the ballpoint and rollerball refills have), but it's more like a marker tip. So no inner friction, as with the ball, just between the tip and the paper. Also, googling "(montblanc) rollerball skips" you will find some results, of which some mention the dependence on the angle you write at, but no such problems for fineliners (they say they do dry out quicker than rollerballs, though; I don't know exactly how quicker).

As for the reference numbers, I don't know by heart, but a quick Google Images search by, e.g. "montblanc 162" will show you it's the Le Grand rollerball.

And I second meiers' suggestion: do try a fountain pen. Although I can only be satisfied with the whole range, not just with fountain pens or ballpoints or rollerballs. To each, their own. Which also means, for me, to each pen, their own (kind of) use. :)

L.E.: As for your similarity argument, I also try to have diversity, as I said. So maybe you can find something else to be drawn at from another model. I agree the UNICEF could be too similar to the Classique (if we're not talking about the Solitaire line). For example, although I cannot say I'm a Brahms fan in particular, I do love classical music and the theme of the Brahms collection, which resulted in an easy decision to buy the Brahms rollerball. I like it much more than much more expensive models. But this is subjective, of course.

Edited by adim

Ask to try a fountain pen at the Montblanc Boutique.

They are easy to use.

I'll give it a try tomorrow. I don't see myself using a fountain pen at the moment since I'm only 22 years of age. The reason I wanted a Montblanc Ballpoint/Rollerball is to start the journey at an early stage of my life, since I've decided to start journaling and to write more instead of typing on my computer :P

Edited by TripleOne

Update:

I went to the Montblanc store today and tried out many things. I first asked for a ballpoint with the Broad refill... I fell in love right away, it's so smooth! I decided to get it in Mystery Black. Afterwards, I asked for the Classique and Le Grand Rollerball. I find the Le Grand to be way too big for my small hands, it made it uncomfortable to write. I then asked the Sales Assistant to show me the UNICEF and the Ultra Black Rollerball. I was instantly amazed at how beautiful the Ultra Black is. Absolutely stunning, I knew at that moment that the Ultra Black was the right choice. I will be picking it up in 2 hours since it is currently being engraved with my name on the clip.

Oh! I also tried out the fountain pen, it is very comfortable and nice. I just don't see myself using it right now. I am definitely looking forward to the future and what it might hold for my MB collection. I am very grateful and happy for owning two 164 and a 163. I am looking forward to use these writing instruments for years to come!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and help.

James

Welcome to FPN!!!

The broad tip ballpoint pen refills are my favourite.

Edited by meiers

Welcome to FPN!!!

The broad tip ballpoint pen refills are my favourite.

It's so good!

The smoothness is unreal.