Sheaffer Hard Rubber Photo Thread

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

I don't have a lot of Sheaffer hard rubber pens, but thought I would start a photo thread and see if we can have members post examples and pool our knowledge!

This is a Sheaffer Chatelaine chased hard rubber ringtop lever fill fountain pen c. 1917-1921. It appears in Sheaffer advertisements as early as 1917 and in a 1921 dealer catalog priced at $3.50. It’s about 3 3/16 inches long and features a gold filled unhallmarked cap top with a ring so a chain can be attached. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO over PAT. AUG. 25-08 - FORT MADISON, IA U.S.A. over DEC. 10-12 – JAN. 27 – OCT. 20 – NOV. 24-14. The 14 karat gold nib is not hallmarked and is stamped SHEAFFER over 2 over SELF – over FILLING. The lever is gold filled.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferRingtop_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger W.

• PenHero

• Estragon

• stephen_schachter

I found this RMHR Sheaffer's #2 last Friday. I was going to post pictures and saw this thread already started.

I'm not sure of the date. It has a correct teardrop #2 nib. I'd guess early teens.

The imprints are strong and crisp. No cracks, no chips, and just a very few scratches at the end of the section. This one has no clip.

The patent dates are August 25, 1908 and December 10, 1912, with "Patents Pending" beneath these two dates.

A lucky find, I think. It's been inked, but I doubt that it saw much use.

I found this RMHR Sheaffer's #2 last Friday. I was going to post pictures and saw this thread already started.

I'm not sure of the date. It has a correct teardrop #2 nib. I'd guess early teens.

The imprints are strong and crisp. No cracks, no chips, and just a very few scratches at the end of the section. This one has no clip.

The patent dates are August 25, 1908 and December 10, 1912, with "Patents Pending" beneath these two dates.

A lucky find, I think. It's been inked, but I doubt that it saw much use.

Wow! What a find! Love seeing the "Turn" stamping on the cap!

fpn_1529606875__20gold.jpgfpn_1529606949__20nongold.jpg

20s with gold furniture and without. This is a late hard rubber chasing introduced in 1923. It was around only a few years but, I don't have them all and I do have an off catalog variety.

Edited by Roger W.

This is fun, I call it the 34 progression. The one on the bottom is a very early 34 - 3 nib 4 barrel. The next one is a 34 chased and clipped. Then the 46 replaces the 34 but, same sized pen. The 46 is replaced by the 5-30 (this is in radite as the late 46's are also radite but, the one shown is the special chased HR).

fpn_1529607246__34_progression.jpg

Edited by Roger W.

This is the central S with the pen through it. There are two variations of this though it was used only for a short time probably in 1915.

fpn_1529607976__imprintcentrals.jpg

The next imprint was likely used to indicate pens made at Kansas City

fpn_1529608110__imprintlargess1.jpg

Mottled ones - Sheaffer made them for years to offer a competing product but, I think Sheaffer was cautious about red hard rubber and offered very little of it.

fpn_1529608269__mottled5.jpg

A very early redbox with early pen. With early tapered bands the band ends flush with the cap lip so the HR is not chipped off below as is the case with all other bands flush with the cap lip.

fpn_1529608510__redbox.jpg

WoW! this made my day...

just a lonely gf ringtop here, not worthy of this thread, but it seemed embarrassing to just say Wow!

Thanks for bringing out the fun stuff.

Come to think of it I do have a question, the two the only color? no true tan or olive ripple or mottled?

Roger, you're killing me! And to think I was going to post one, maybe two pens!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Roger, you're killing me! And to think I was going to post one, maybe two pens!

Jon, do post, I just specialize in these.

Roger W.

I purchased this one in a "Two pens for $30" bundle at an estate sale. (The other pen was revealed to be a well-used but bona fide 1st yr Parker 51 when I cleaned up the faint imprint on the blind cap and examined the underside of the clip). This Sheaffer was also a nice pen to restore.

The original #3 Self-Filling nib has a bit of a tipping problem, so I swapped in a nice 3-25 with a bit of flex for now. At the time of purchase I did a bit of research and based on the imprint, barrel threads, etc. I think it's a model #31 that would have been introduced ca. 1920, but I'm no expert and that could well be wrong.

fpn_1529776265__sheaffer_flat_top.jpg

Roger: Any ideas as to why the HR on the 20s pens are less prone to oxidation than are Parker's, Waterman's, etc. of the period? Was Sheaffer's hard rubber different in composition? For instance, I've seen numerous pens in the "changing lanes" chasing pattern, kept/sold 4-5, and have yet to see a brown, IIRC, despite some showing significant trim and surface wear. Or perhaps I've just been lucky(?)

Edited by Estragon

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Metal Trim! —> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, green, ebonized pearl); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (clean persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal (grey pinstripe, marble stripe, etc.)

Roger: Any ideas as to why the HR on the 20s pens are less prone to oxidation than are Parker's, Waterman's, etc. of the period? Was Sheaffer's hard rubber different in composition? For instance, I've seen numerous pens in the "changing lanes" chasing pattern, kept/sold 4-5, and have yet to see a brown, IIRC, despite some showing significant trim and surface wear. Or perhaps I've just been lucky(?)

I think one of the leading causes for them to be so clean is they came out at the end of hard rubber so I don't think they saw the average amount of use. They may have had a better formulation or curing of the hard rubber as well. Even without a lot of use you might still expect to see some that really discolored but, those that seem to have seen use are just heavily worn. Maybe if someone wants to leave one in a lot of UV and sees what happens. When I get a chance I'll look through mine for fade.

Roger W.

Er......Does a rubber pen with metal overlay count?

It`s a gold filled LIFETIME , model 98BC.

fpn_1530079085__img_4104.jpg

fpn_1530079198__img_4099.jpg

While that is a rare model and great to see I do not believe that it counts. Sheaffer issued these in the standard format of full sized pen, short pen and ring top. I have the full sized and ring top and was thinking that there were only the two when I came upon some correspondents from a few years back talking about the short pen (w/clip). This is exceedingly rare as it is not in the catalog but, at least a couple are kicking around out there. I think Jim should do a metal overlay series...

Roger W.

Not a very good photo, but this is my favorite HR Sheaffer.

It is 5-7/16" long capped.

sheaffer_hr.jpg

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.