Stipula Passaporto (2018) Review And Comparison With Moonman Wancai

Honeybadgers

There are presently 3 (or is it 4?) reviews of the Passaporto that I've found on YouTube over the past couple of days - in addition to this written review. Chrisrap's is the only one that doesn't mention threading problems - so it sounds like this is not an isolated incident! Other than that, the folks who ordered the stealth model seem to like the 'grippiness' of the material - as opposed to the slipperiness of the faux-chrome fittings on the demonstrator version.

I'd been trying to resist the temptation to buy a Moonman Wancai demonstrator - but sadly (or not) my resolve crumbled after reading this review! I now have a Wancai *and* a Wing Sung 618 winging their way to me from Bobby at office-supplies_pen... Thanks for nuthin, @honeybadgers ;) !

The problem with the stealth is it has no ink window, so for an eyedropper that isn't made out of ebonite (like the wancai ebonite) this is inexcusable.

It's a badly made pen with bad plastics sold for way too much money. At least Goulet are amazing and take returns.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• truthpil

• amberleadavis

• Jamerelbe

Sounds great!

I did some digging and found out that Moonman makes their own cartridges for this pen. The acrylic version only fits those cartridges and they have a 3.4mm opening (which is actually the most common size in China, however the Moonman ones seem to be especially short so they can fit in the Wancai). On the other hand, the ebonite version has a Schmidt nib assembly and thus takes standard international short cartridges (2.4mm).

very useful info, thanks!

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Anyone familiar with ebonite pens thinks the Wancai in ebonite, at that price point, is worth it?

Also what prevents me from putting a o-ring and eyedrop it exactly?

Anyone familiar with ebonite pens thinks the Wancai in ebonite, at that price point, is worth it?

Also what prevents me from putting a o-ring and eyedrop it exactly?

The Wancai are made to be eyedroppers, that also take cartridges. I gather that the ebonite version just contains a different feed that will take something other than Moonman proprietary cartridges. It probably comes with an O ring already installed, and its own eyedropper. The acrylic model does.

I love the acrylic model, but it has a steep step down that for me, makes it uncomfortable for long writing sessions. I could get used to this, or not. But it's a good little pen. That step down is a matter of preference.

The Wancai are made to be eyedroppers, that also take cartridges. I gather that the ebonite version just contains a different feed that will take something other than Moonman proprietary cartridges. It probably comes with an O ring already installed, and its own eyedropper. The acrylic model does.

One of the reasons the ebonite version costs so much more is because it has a Schmidt nib unit installed instead of the cheap-but-decent friction-fit Chinese nib and feed on the acrylic models. With the Schmidt nib assembly, you can either use it as an eyedropper or with short international cartridges. I'm sure the back of the section has the same O-ring on both models since the only differences are the material and nib assembly. Furthermore, judging by the close-up photos at least, it appears that on the ebonite version you can simply unscrew the nib assembly and screw in another if you want a different nib size.

Were I to splurge on the ebonite (probably not since that step is a real stumbling block for me to invest that much), I'd probably screw in a Schmidt broad nib assembly and take advantage of that massive ink capacity.

Has anyone tried putting a JoWo or Knox #5 nib in the acrylic version?

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Both fit the acrylic model fine.

The shmidt nib is really no better quality than the moonman nib. I literally couldn't find a single thing to complain about the nib in mine if you had a gun to my head. it even has a smooth, precise, needlepoint reverse write. All you're getting is a name brand, standard international cartridges, and 1 or 2 more nib options (including broad) if you go for that model (other than the ebonite body) I really don't understand the appeal of pens from india and china throwing shmidt nibs in their pens and adding 20 or 30 bucks to the price.

Both fit the acrylic model fine.

The shmidt nib is really no better quality than the moonman nib. I literally couldn't find a single thing to complain about the nib in mine if you had a gun to my head. it even has a smooth, precise, needlepoint reverse write. All you're getting is a name brand, standard international cartridges, and 1 or 2 more nib options (including broad) if you go for that model (other than the ebonite body) I really don't understand the appeal of pens from india and china throwing shmidt nibs in their pens and adding 20 or 30 bucks to the price.

Thanks for the confirmation about the nib swapping!

I agree with you about the lack of major differences between the Schmidt and stock nibs these days. I guess it just depends on how important using international cartridges is to you and whether you prefer to use screw-in nib units or friction-fit. Since it can be really easy to damage or wear out a feed when changing friction-fit nibs, I try to go with the unit option whenever it's feasible. Although the Chinese stock nibs can be excellent a lot of the time, I do find it easier to get a dud Chinese nib than a dud JoWo or Schmidt nib (Lamy and Kaweco are another story :angry: ).

I'm thinking an acrylic Wancai with the Knox OBB nib I gladly got based on your recommendation would be a lot of fun. Kind of like a high caliber pocket pistol. :P

Thank you so much for the thorough review. The Passaporto was one of the pens on my wish list but no more. The Moonman Wancai is now taking it's place (and saving me some money). :wub:

Thank you so much for the thorough review. The Passaporto was one of the pens on my wish list but no more. The Moonman Wancai is now taking it's place (and saving me some money). :wub:

I mean, if you REALLY want to spend the money, I have not heard a single bad thing about the ebonite one!

I mean, if you REALLY want to spend the money, I have not heard a single bad thing about the ebonite one!

Has anyone in the English-speaking world actually bought one? All the reviews I've found are for the acrylic one.

Has anyone in the English-speaking world actually bought one? All the reviews I've found are for the acrylic one.

I might just bite the bullet in a month or two.

I do mention the tight threads at 10:13, https://youtu.be/hFQtbwG7z40?t=10m13s.

I did not mention that I put silicone grease on the threads, something I put on all threads.

I felt the resistance to capping was from the high friction of the stealth coating.

I have used the pen daily since the review & I still like it. Is it up to Stipula quality of the original Paparazzi, no, but it cost half. Is it a Moonman Wancai, no. I deliberately did not compare as these are too different. For some there is value to buying from an American source. And it is the stealthiest pen I have ever used.

I do mention the tight threads at 10:13, https://youtu.be/hFQtbwG7z40?t=10m13s.

I did not mention that I put silicone grease on the threads, something I put on all threads.

I felt the resistance to capping was from the high friction of the stealth coating.

I have used the pen daily since the review & I still like it. Is it up to Stipula quality of the original Paparazzi, no, but it cost half. Is it a Moonman Wancai, no. I deliberately did not compare as these are too different. For some there is value to buying from an American source. And it is the stealthiest pen I have ever used.

this is one of the few instances that we disagree, but I have to point out that you got reeeeeeeeeeeeally lucky in that you got a pen that works at all. My video shows the horrid plastic flashing, the completely stripped threads, and my experience with completely chowdered threads that are so bad people are thinking it's a slip cap on their own pens points towards a pen of cartoonishly vile build quality. I'm really glad you got a good one and enjoy it, because I wish I could be the same. I was so excited for this thing and it literally could not have been a bigger let down if the tin it came in was just filled with angry bees.

I have a Paparazzi (so no temptation to get the Passaporto) and an ebonite Wancai and I can earnestly say that they are of similar quality. The Schmidt nib on the Wancai is smoother than the nibs on my other Moonman pens and of course it can use standard international cartridges. However both pens suffer from the same problem, that you have to screw the cap on the body to write which is time consuming if you want to use it as a pocket EDC pen, especially as the threads are wide and shallow. Much prefer my Kawecos which I can use without thinking (or the Delike knock offs).

Gistar

Like many, the Stipula Passaporto has been a pen that I have always liked, especially because of it's unique design and form factor. In previous occasions I have had the opportunity to purchase 2 of them and they all have been great pens, albeit a little dry.

Imagine my excitement when Goulet mentioned they were going to carry a new version of this pen. Like many I patiently waited and immediately put in my order when these became available. I began to dread getting the pen when the initial reviews started to come in. So with trepidation, I opened the tin box it came in to see whether it was truly as disappointing as people said. While the more inferior build quality and the shallow threads are definitely true also in mine, the nib however did not disappointment. It's a nice writer, on the finer side of medium, but still wet and juicy.

Now I don't know about you guys. There is a difference for me between pens that have a compromised quality but write well, and a pen that looks beautiful with a nib that don't perform. The latter types of pen really destroy me, especially when its from a few famous Italian makers who makes pens of exquisite design, but have barely functional nibs. This pen is the OPPOSITE. While the threads make you slow down, and the chromed bits SEEM like they will likely flake off, the pen performs admirably. It's the little compromised pen that could. I use it daily and it has not failed me.

I have a Paparazzi (so no temptation to get the Passaporto) and an ebonite Wancai and I can earnestly say that they are of similar quality. The Schmidt nib on the Wancai is smoother than the nibs on my other Moonman pens and of course it can use standard international cartridges. However both pens suffer from the same problem, that you have to screw the cap on the body to write which is time consuming if you want to use it as a pocket EDC pen, especially as the threads are wide and shallow. Much prefer my Kawecos which I can use without thinking (or the Delike knock offs).

And can you eyedropper the Wancai?

Edited by sciumbasci

This is an amazing comparison. Thank you. I've been disappointed with my passports for the money, but the Wancai that I switched out nibs for a 1.5 has been loads of fun.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY