Suggestions For A Fountain Pen Needed. (A Step Up From The Pilot Metropolitan)

TestTube

So, I made another post about me wanting a flex nib but I thought about it and changed my mind. I'll get one later on.

I have 3 Pilot Metropolitans at the moment, one in medium and two in fine. I like them all but I really really love the ones in fine.

I want to take the next step now. I'd like a pen that resembles the feel of the Metropolitan but of a "higher tier" if you will.

I do not like demonstrator pens (Don't like seeing through them for some reason), and I would like a pen that is minimalistic yet sturdy; something that — when I hold it — I know that I'm feeling some quality construction.

The look: https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/platinum-ptl-5000a-fountain-pens/products/platinum-ptl-5000a-fountain-pen-black?variant=11995652784171

^That pen there is a 10/10 in my book as far as aesthetics go, and in fact I was considering purchasing that one but I'm still unsure.

So, bottom line: I'm willing to spend up to 150$ maximum. I'd like it to write smoothly, I'd like line width as close to the Metropolitan "fine" as possible, I'd like it to look something like the Platinum pen in the link (Doesn't have to look *exactly* like that), I'd like it to feel sturdy and well-made, I'd like it to be on the longer side; though not too fat (I have large hands, so I want something longer but I don't want to feel like I'm holding a cigar), and as an added bonus that I would absolutely love but isn't completely necessary - If I could have my name engraved somewhere on the pen or cap.

So, fire away! =) And feel free to post multiple suggestions. I would like some selection.

Thanks in advance for any responses! =)

P.S. If any of you have tried out the pen that I linked, let me know what you think of it!

Edited by TestTube

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• akrohn2010

• TestTube

• alexwi

• Waltz For Zizi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out of the pens I own and have tried, the two that come to mind are the Lamy 2000 or Pilot Custom 91.

Option 1: The Lamy 2k is extremely sturdy, minimalistic, snap cap, and will last forever. However, the nibs run wider than Metro F - even an EF will be close to a Metro M. And it's at the top of your budget, about $120-140. Still: it's one of my absolute best pens and writes incredibly smoothly. If you can accept a slightly wider line, the Lamy 2000 checks just about every other item on your list in my opinion - unless you want a cartridge/converter pen (Lamy 2k is a piston filler). I honestly think of it like a high-end Metro with a piston-fill mech, which is why I'm suggesting it.

Option 2 would be another Pilot pen. There are lots of options but I'd start by looking at the Pilot Custom 91 with a F nib. It's similar in aesthetic to the Platinum you listed, will have the same nib width/type as the Metro but in 14k gold, and uses the same converters/cartridges (you can also use the larger CON-70). It is a screw-on cap though. (most higher end pens are, or at least it seems to me - snap designs can wear out over time). You have to buy this one direct from Japan - I got mine for $85.

Option 3: Get the PTL-5000 if you like it! I have not tried any Platinum pens yet but the 3776 Century is a favorite on this forum (different look than you're going for but another solid choice). Nib wise it would probably be as fine if not finer than your Metro, though many say their nibs have some feedback compared to Pilot, which could be not what you're looking for.

Best of luck!

Edited by flyingpenman

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

I forgot to mention that I don't like the look of the hidden nib from pens such as the Lamy 2000 but...

Wow, the Pilot Custom 91...https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Fountain-Custom-Heritage-FKVH-1MR-BFM/dp/B002ZFMXEE?th=1

If that's what you're referring to, that looks like it's right up my alley, and it's from a company that I already know makes very solid products.

My only problem is that it would seem gouletpens.com doesn't carry it. Which is unfortunate considering I have a gift card for them as well as a 10% discount coupon that I need to use by the end of June.

I'm obviously going to wait a couple days anyway and check out pens that other people suggest on this thread, but that is *definitely* on the top of my list right now.

As for the PTL-5000, I just looked at a few reviews and they confirmed my worst fear: It feels "plasticy" / cheaply made (Although they said it was generally a good pen, I can. not. stand. having a pen (or any product for that matter) that doesn't feel like it's well built and sturdy. So that's a no-go...Too bad, because it's absolutely gorgeous.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions =)

Update: I decided to take a picture so you could see a comparison of the three pens: Lamy 2000 on top, Custom 91 below the Metro. My Lamy has an EF nib and the 91 has a SF (soft fine) nib.

post-138281-0-87208000-1529178147_thumb.jpeg

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

I forgot to mention that I don't like the look of the hidden nib from pens such as the lamy 2000

I was like you when I first started with fountain pens also, and almost decided not to buy the lamy 2000, but a few months ago I got a nice deal on 8 lamy pens, and among them were 2 lamy 2000. Let me tell you, I was mindblown. They're definitely in my top 10, among the 36 pens I own. I actually have 4 lamy pens in top 10. I really like those lamy gold nibs, especially on my 2 lamy dialog3 which are my 2 best writing pens. The right amount of smoothness, wetness, and bounciness I can wish for. If only it would came in the design of a Pelikan m600 it would be my absolutely perfect pen and I would buy no other pen.

P.S. the EF nib on one of my dialog 3 is actually like an architect nib. So good.

Sometimes, letting the discount code expire unused (or only using it on accessories) is a better option than using it on something you didn't really want or need.

That said, a Pilot Vanishing Point or Decimo is within your price range, has a smooth nib, and (from the ones I have) very solidly built - looks and feels like quality. I know it's not the appearance you want, but I'd suggest you consider it anyway. I was doubtful for that very reason, but came into unexpected money and gave in to my curiosity. I know have 3 VPs and 1 Decimo (Fine, EF, and stub nibs). I love this pen.

I don't have any, but lots of folks recommend the various Pilot Custom ### pens. Many are cigar shaped, not the nice flat-ended shape like those posted.

I also purchased a Platinum 3776 Century SF, not really liking the cigar shape and unsure how I'd like its feedback because I thought I only liked really smooth nibs. But I love that Platinum nib, and like it more every time I use it. (I can live with the cigar shape for the sake of that nib.)

Just some thoughts, for whatever they're worth.

Edited by LizEF

Oh yea I'm certainly not going to use the coupon just to use it heh. Definitely going to make sure I'm buying something I actually want (Although I've been needing some new stationary anyway so I'm going to use it on that. It would be nice to be able to kill two birds with one stone though if I can).

Quick question for you flyingpenman or to anyone else who owns a Pilot Custom Heritage 91.

How does it feel in your hands compared to the Metropolitan?

Heavier? Lighter? Is it metal or something else? etc

Other than a Metropolitan, (M nib) the only other Japanese pen is a 3776 Century (Borgogne) in B. Even though the pen is lighter than the Metro, it is a much better pen. Including the converter which I had to be separate, I paid about $80 for the pen. (Japanese seller through Amazon)

I am mostly European and US made pen user. The 3776 has cracked the top five or so (of 35).

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Definitely lighter than the Metro. It's longer and a bit thinner too, except for the section which is a bit wider and there's no drastic step from section to barrel.

It's made of a resin (high grade plastic) though if you use the CON-70 converter the added weight and ink help make it feel a bit more balanced. It definitely doesn't feel cheap to me, especially with how nice the nib writes, though if you prefer heavier pens you might be a tad disappointed.

What I like about the resin material is that it doesn't tire my hand to write with, and posting it gives it the added heft to make it feel more "premium" if that bothers you. The plastic doesn't feel cheap - I've had cheaper pens and this doesn't feel like one. Not sure how else to explain it...not all resins/plastics are equal, I guess. I don't love it compared to the Makrolon of my Lamy 2000 or the celluloid in my Parker Vacumatic, but it feels like a quality pen.

My ONLY annoyance with it is that the finish picks up dust/fingerprints because it's so glossy, but it's easy to clean off.

Honestly it was a steal for $85. Great pen and writes EVERY time with zero issues. I got the soft fine nib which I would honestly not recommend unless you know for a fact you want it - it took me some getting used to and I didn't like it for a while, at least until I learned to control the bounce it put into writing.

Only big letdown from the Metro to the Custom 91 is the lack of a snap cap. But you'll probably get over that quickly with how awesome the rest of it is. Get the CON-70 with it for max ink capacity! (Usually converter is not included when buying from Amazon/Japan direct)

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

I got the soft fine nib which I would honestly not recommend unless you know for a fact you want it - it took me some getting used to and I didn't like it for a while, at least until I learned to control the bounce it put into writing.

Would you mind elaborating on that? How long did it take you to get used to (Like how many hours a day did you write with it and for how long)?

I'm still not 100% sure whether or not I want a regular steel nib or a flex nib, but I figured I could get a flex nib and as long as I wrote softly (which I do anyway) I could just use it like a normal pen. Or is this wrong?

I'm 98% sure that I've decided I'm going to get the Pilot Custom Heritage 91 (Unless someone else convinces me of another pen by tomorrow night). And reason I'm asking about the flex thing is because if I do get that pen I would either get "fine" or "soft fine"; and I'm leaning more towards the soft fine at the moment...though I'm uncertain after reading that sentence.

Also, I watched a video of someone with the Custom 91. He said when he first got it he was getting some unwanted feedback. Not crazy feedback, but still there nonetheless, and he had to very carefully sand down a bit of the tip of the nib before it wrote smoothly. Did you (or anyone else reading this post that owns the Pilot Custom Heritage 91) have this? Or did it write smoothly right out of the box?

Edited by TestTube

I have a Custom Heritage 91 with a FM nib, and there was zero feedback. It was like writing with melted butter on hot glass until I changed that to suit my taste.

For $150 hours right at the price point of Edison's Production Line pens. Hard to beat! Excellent craftsmanship. Great support. They call in the production numbers of some of the "bit boys" LEs.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi TestTube,

Your Metropolitan's F nib is probably close to a non-far-East EF nib.

Lamy is pretty much at the top regarding consistency across the gamut (probably because most of their pens seem to use the same proven nib), so it would be hard to go wrong, and given that they're all very similar, if not the same, you could try a Safari (get it from an official dealer, whether online or onstreet, as fakes are far too common). Like you, I'm not crazy about hidden nibs, which is why I don't own a 2000 or a Parker 51, whose designs I simply can't stand. But I've tried the 2000 a long time ago, and recall that it was a very nice pen.

Parker's Sonnet is around your price point (if you go with a gold nib). The Sonnets are known for starting and ink evaporation issues, so it's hit or miss. However, if you luck out, and your pen works well, it's an extremely good pen.

Since you mentioned Platinum, I have a Platinum Cool with an M nib that's an extraordinarily smooth writer. I don't know if other models have the same sealing mechanism as the Cool, but the Cool can stay nib-up and untouched for weeks and once in your hand it'll start writing right away.

I've never tried a Waterman EF or F nib, but I really like the medium nibs in my Carene (on long-term loan with someone who's unlikely to return it), Preface, and Phileas are great.

I also don't have a preference between gold or steel nibs, as long as I like how they write and how they look. Right now, I'm going through a chrome finish period.

alex

Edited by alexwi

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

Honestly, I think I'd suggest another Pilot. Not that I'm not a Platinum enthusiast (because I am), but that Platinum makes their fine nibs a bit toothy, and Pilot tends to make theirs a bit more smooth.

The Lamy 2000 is going to write a good bit wider than an equivalently marked Japanese pen. It's highly recommended and has a ton of fans, but I strongly suggest that you put one in your hand and at least dry-write with it before you get one, if you at all can. The cap retention prongs in the section can annoy people; they kept the L2k on my "do not buy" list for quite a few years, until my grip changed.

Would you mind elaborating on that? How long did it take you to get used to (Like how many hours a day did you write with it and for how long)?

Also, I watched a video of someone with the Custom 91. He said when he first got it he was getting some unwanted feedback. Not crazy feedback, but still there nonetheless, and he had to very carefully sand down a bit of the tip of the nib before it wrote smoothly. Did you (or anyone else reading this post that owns the Pilot Custom Heritage 91) have this? Or did it write smoothly right out of the box?

I'd say a couple months after I bought it, it finally "clicked" with me, as it were, but I didn't write with it as much as my preferred pens (at the time my Metro and TWSBI Eco). I think my main hang-up was that the ink line didn't look uniform, which is the whole point of line variation/"flex," of which you get a small amount.

Since I read back and remembered you were considering flex to begin with, a soft fine is a good way to get a little bounce/variation that is eminently useable as a daily writer and you might enjoy it. It can also bring out the inherent shading in some inks and add a lot of character. It just won't be as firm as a regular fine and may produce a bit of "mush"/"bounce" that just feels...different. Now that it's broken in, I love it. I also realized that some inks just didn't seem to play as well with it for some reason (e.g I prefer to use Diamine or Iroshizuku in it vs. Noodler's or other highly saturated inks just based on how it looks).

As far as smoothness - it has just a bit of what I'd describe as "tooth" compared to my Metro F or TWSBI EF. In other words, mine doesn't "glide like butter across X," which I actually don't like since my handwriting suffers. This is smooth but I can feel the paper just enough to control my writing, so "just a touch of feedback," perhaps. I didn't like it at first but quickly grew to prefer it to the "butter smooth" feeling. It's now what I look for in my nibs.

Hope all this helps - here's a writing sample of the "variation" I can get with it - also notice how it brings out the different shades of blue in Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo. Note: if you get the SF nib, DO NOT treat this like a semi-flex nib and push on it. Just the lightest of pressure variation will bring out some change in line width/flair and that's about all you would be going for with this pen - my writing sample is probably a bit too harsh on it. True flex pens are a different animal altogether.

Good luck!

post-138281-0-86007700-1529238692_thumb.jpg

Edited by flyingpenman

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

A Platinum Balance in black would look very much like the pen in the link and feel sturdier, despite being much less expensive.

It does not have a gold nib, however.