Fountain Pen/stylus Combination - Recommendations?

pstjmack

I'm a writer and do most of my writing onscreen nowadays using a stylus and handwriting recognition. I really miss my fountain pen of old, though. Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand of fountain pen that also has a stylus? Or can anyone recommend a manufacturer who would create a bespoke pen to order? Thanks!

Paul StJohn Mackintosh

Twitter: pstjmack

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pstjmack

• SoulSamurai

• Torrilin

• alexander_k

I second the request. For many years, back when PDA screen were resistive I used a Cross Matrix with reasonable pleasure: not the greatest of fountain pens but one could improve it with a vintage nib and it had the girth my hands require of a writing tools. I have yet to encounter a capacitive stylus that isn't puny, let alone one that combines with a fountain pen. And as for its design, the Matrix was a nice update on the streamlined modernist cylinder.

Levenger L-tech and Monteverde tool pen both have computer stylus end, but both are heavy pens and personally I dislike the hexagonal grip of the tool pen - I actually find both pens uncomfortable. However the stylus tips on both are removeable and I believe they both sell the tips seperately, so that's one way to get a stylus tip for another pen.

I believe those two brands have some other stylus pens though - I just spotted a Monteverde Invincia with a stylus tip - but I have no personal experience with them.

Thanks on both of these. The Monteverde Invincia stylus looks the closest to what I want so far, but what I'd really like to find is a classic lacquer fountain pen. The Levenger L-tech and Monteverde multipen options just look too much like carpentry tools for my taste.

Paul StJohn Mackintosh

Online.de makes a stylus/fountain pen. Jetpens is importing them to the US. It’s called the Switch Plus and is similar in style to the Lamy Al Star. So if you’re looking for a Japanese style lacquer pen, it’s completely the wrong thing. It’s sold as Switch Plus in German too. I haven’t tested the stylus half, but that style tends to be pretty consistent and not my favorite. If I need to use a capacitive stylus, the Adonit Jot series is about the least annoying in terms of accuracy.

I’d probably go for my Apple Pencil or Samsung’s S Pen or Stabilo’s clone of the S Pen tho. Not because pressure sensitivity is all that important but because both device styles are much more accurate in recognizing the shape you actually made. While I can manage not too awful italic hand with a regular stylus, the fancy stylus definitely makes a large difference in comfort. Part of why I like pen is I can’t erase, and a capacitive stylus tends to be so inaccurate I end up using erase and undo a lot. The fancy ones feel more like a physical pen.

I also find that it’s not difficult to do a first draft by hand, and then retype it myself to get a clean draft. I haven’t found any handwriting recognition software that gives results I’m happy with. So mostly I don’t bother.

I don't think you'll get the feeling of fountain pen on paper with any stylus on plastic/glass (but, of course, to each, its own).

When I've been in the same position (not proffesionally, tough) I ended up with writing on paper plus scanner and OCR (after all, your solution is basically the same without the scanner step).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input, everybody, and I've actually found a fountain pen/stylus combo, the ONLINE Switch Plus pen from Germany (https://www.online-pen.de/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=switch+plus). You can see my impressions under Reviews.

Paul StJohn Mackintosh

• 3 weeks later...