Cheapest Modern Pelikans?

surprise123

I am determined to have at least one Pelikan in my collection. Since my budget is restricted to under $100, most Pelikans are well out of my reach. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• surprise123

• carlos.q

• sargetalon

The Pelikan M200 starts at 55 Euro, depending on colour . They are really good, reliable and nice writers

Vasco’s suggestion is perfect!

If new modern Pelikan is the target, Cultpens has M200 at reasonable prices, but old Pelikan is something worth serious consideration

Good luck!

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Pelikan school line is available from EUR 5.99 - do these fit the bill or we're you looking for something non aimed to school students?

Check here.

https://www.penalusa.com/product-page/pelikan-120-f-14c-gold-nib-c-1955

It's just a tad over your budget but has an upgrade with a gold nib and it has free FedEx Express shipping included already

Best regards
Vasco

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/INGENIVM-PC/Avatar/simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

Buy previously owned. I have a W. Germany, old style blue marbled M200. Bought it with an OB nib, which is in my Cognac at present. EBay price? $46.

Think about that for a minute. Street price on a TWSBI 580 is $50.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Another vote for either vintage or a "school pen". Or both.

My second purchased bird was an M100 from the 1980s I won on eBay. It is a small pen, but has a very nice 1 mm nib. And because the nib unit can re unscrewed from the barrel for separate soaking (as well as flushing the piston chamber if necessary, and because of the nib itself, I don't hesitate to throw crazy inks like the Diamine Shimmertastic line into that wide wet nib.

My most recent Pelikan purchase (also a 1980s era pen) is a Pelikano. It's a c/c pen, but takes international Standard cartridges or converter. Nib is a nail, but it's very smooth. That pen was a find at this spring's Baltimore-Washington show, for a whole whopping five bucks (a Pelikan converter costs more than that..).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I would suggest a Pelikan M200 or M205. The marbled versions look very nice and classy. And (at least here in Europe) you will get them for less than 75€. Also the M215 would fit into that price range.

Of course there are many cheaper models in their line, like kid's and school pens. They all are nice writers, but they don't look distinguished.

The Stola III is an affordable model to consider as well. Or the P360 Epoch.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

A 200 is a standard sized pen, very well balanced when posted, and a great buy used.

I buy mostly vintage or semi-vintage pens, but have bought new an expensive LE 200 the Amethyst, and an affordable new marbled golden brown 200. (Under E80.)

I think the 215 was a bit higher priced. And I do have a W.Germany 200 with that tad more springy '85-90 nib.

The 200's nib is a nice springy regular flex nib....and is 1/2 a width narrower than modern, the same width as the vintage '50-65 and semi-vintage pre-97 era pens.

I had trans-mailed 200's nibs to a passed pall in England, in there are many in Germany who refuse to trust foreign postal services or think it costs more than it does.

Those nibs matched my '90-97 semi-vintage 400, 381, and my two Celebry nibs. (one gold, the other steel)

Having a '90's 400 Tortoise, had never thought I 'needed' a 200, but the steel regular flex nibs impressed me so I bought a 215....slightly heavier pen, in it has a brass body. (once I had been a semi-flex snob :rolleyes:...but came to like regular flex in they are not as wet a writer as semi-flex and I like shading. The stupidly disrespected M is a good width for shading. My Amethyst and 215 are M's. M&F are good shading widths................EF is too narrow on the whole.

Many folks come into fountain pens with an M, find it is disrespected here, follow the herd to narrow or fat nibs........buying a prejudice.

Using MB Toffee back when I was newer. I like shading inks.

F was light with dark trails.

M was 50-50 in shading :yikes: , breaking my anti-M prejudice I picked up here on the com.***

B was dark with light trails.

Semi-flex was dark because of the wetter nib.

You see I don't buy a pen with the thought of having to sell it....and I've bought a couple Pelikan 200/215's lately in M, and am quite happy with them. M is a good width for shading, besides being a slight tad smoother than an F.

I think an M would be better than an F for glitter or sheen inks also.

***Most folks come in on an M, then go narrow or wide. I went wide. Therefore M gets disrespected and it should not be. There are Volumes written, on "The Joy of Going Narrow", or "The Joy of Going Wide".

So poor M, with just a Sonnet by Shakespeare gets ignored. Been there, done that, cubed. Yet they really haven't been......M-B, M and M-F.............depending on manufacturer and era you too can have a full assortment of M's :P to go with the other widths.

Then I bought the Amethyst in M, and needing a nice regular flex EF, for editing bought the new marbled golden brown 200. There are a lot of nice looking 200's....in I do have enough 400's and a 'pre-97 600, I really don't need any more standard 200/400 and the 'new' 600 sized pens.

But there are a few pretty 200's that are tempting. :bunny01:

DSPqv6F.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon has a black/black listed for $110, That's the lowest cost I've seen one in years. I'm sure if you keep looking, you'll find a good one in your price range! I started my collection with several 150's as I wasn't in a position at that time to afford much else in that line!

Fair winds and following seas.

I saw a Pelikan school pen in (German) Woolworth today for about 12 euros. Might have been 12.90.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

"If you are willing to pay $5.00 more, Massdrop has the M200 Smoky Quartz with a bottle of matching Edelstein ink for $104.99"

Wow, that seems like a screaming deal on a nice little pen, one which I passed on when they first came out, .....maybe I need to go through the couch cushions one more time to see if there is any spare change available, or I could try another midnight raid on the fountain in the town square.

Thanks for the tip Carlos, ... I think.

Edited by DrCodfish

If you are willing to pay $5.00 more, Massdrop has the M200 Smoky Quartz with a bottle of matching Edelstein ink for $104.99:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/pelikan-m200-smoky-quartz-special-edition-set

Thats not a bad deal at all.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Buy previously owned. I have a W. Germany, old style blue marbled M200. Bought it with an OB nib, which is in my Cognac at present. EBay price? $46.

Think about that for a minute. Street price on a TWSBI 580 is $50.

I hope your pen isn't in cognac. Acrylic doesn't mix well with higher proofs.

I am determined to have at least one Pelikan in my collection. Since my budget is restricted to under $100, most Pelikans are well out of my reach. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I know I talk about my 140 a lot....

But you can get it for REAL cheap.

I got my pen for MUCH LESS than a 100$.

You'll get a gold nib Pelikan that writes and feels better than modern Pelikans.

(IMHO.)

The pen also doesn't suffer from the same cracking issues as the vintage 400s.

Lemme see if I can find some for you on the 'Bay.

(They do come up on classifieds as well.)

EDIT: Sorry.... I didn't notice it said "Modern Pelikan". You could get an M200, an M100, or an M150 under 100$. Keep in mind that they are no more durable than a vintage 140. They are, however, made out of cheaper materials than the 140.

Edited by AL01

Amazon has a black/black listed for $110, That's the lowest cost I've seen one in years. I'm sure if you keep looking, you'll find a good one in your price range! I started my collection with several 150's as I wasn't in a position at that time to afford much else in that line!

You can get one for 85 bucks dollary doo if youre outside EU

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/PK46309/pelikan-classic-m200-green-marbled-fountain-pen

Edited by invisuu

The blue marbled one is pretty..............I have no need for it.....having enough Pelikans and a W. Germany gray, a M215 Lozenge, the Amethyst and the marbled brown....really don't need any more 200's.

Do have a 100 & 150 also....think it's a 150..........along with a slew of vintage and semi-vintage Pelikans.

You do have enough pens to get into semi-flex. A medium short 140, was from a time when medium-short pens was very, very IN. They all have longer caps so they post to the width of standard 400's.

You will be ruined for life with semi-flex....got 27 of them, and 16 maxi-semi-flex.....but eventually got around to liking regular flex also.

In Pelikan eventually bought up the Geha, I can push Geha 790 here....as the Best Buy in Semi-flex.....if you have the nerve to hunt on German Ebay....or you can pay two or three times as much on US Ebay. With luck you can get a Geha 790 for E30-40...I'd not pay more than E60 for one.

A 140 costs E90-110. Geha has the tad better nib....and if steel .... great you can get a great nib for less than Gold Snobs will pay.................... :( wasted years as a foolish gold snob.......when there were great steel nibs to be had.

Geha had its nibs made by Degussa (took over Osmia's nib factory in 1932, and kept making Osmia nibs for them....and the same great nibs for anyone else) Bock also made nibs for Geha. I have two semi-flex Bock nibs needing a pen. They are of course better than modern.....just like Vintage is better nibs for MB or Pelikan.

Really don't know why you need a 'modern' Pelikan..... :)

Buy your pretty 200....it's got a nice springy regular flex nib that is vintage/semi-vintage narrow.

Of Course if you Hunt on German Ebay you can get The Best Buy in Regular flex......a Geha school pen. E12-19...of course you can buy one from a German Pirate on US Ebay for Only $89....will match nib wise the 200.....not as pretty.....just a classic black and gold torpedo.

Geha has the Geha reserve tank, good for a page or two after you run out of ink.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.