Is This A Medium Nib?

Field_Marshal

Hello,

I recently purchased my first 149, I got it second hand off someone on another forum. The pen is in perfect condition and it came with all its papers and boxes so I don't doubt its authenticity. However, on the forms it says that it's a medium nib, but it doesn't write like my 146s medium or look like it. There seems some sort of straight edges on the side around the circular bit (Sorry for my complete lack of terminology!) at the end of the nib. Whereas on my 146 the end of the nib is completely circular. I did my best to show what I mean in my pictures below. What I'm asking is if this is really a medium nib or is there something wrong with this particular nib. It also doesn't write like my 146, my 149 gives me less feedback. Any advice or ideas about what this might be is much appreciated!

fpn_1529003393__149_nib_2.jpg

fpn_1529003377__149_nib.jpg

Compared to my 146s nib.

fpn_1529003466__146_nib_2.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Field_Marshal

• zaddick

• aurore

Definitely a Broad tip. The squared-off shape indicates it, and it does not appear to be wide enough to be BB (Double Broad.)

Possibly a B nib.

Could you show us the nib from different angles?

And ..... May we have a writing sample.

Broad nibs are spectacular! You get some line variation.

Edited by meiers

Here is a writing sample of the pen, I couldn't get a clear picture of the sides of the nib, unfortunately. If you need any more photos, I'd be happy to oblige. Thank you to everyone that has posted!

fpn_1529067082__writing_sample.jpg

Edited by Field_Marshal

From the shape of the tipping, I'd also say it was a B.

If it came with its boxes etc, nib size should be indicated on the outside of the box?

(Of course, it may have had an exchange.)

Nice pen. Congratulations.

From the shape of the tipping, I'd also say it was a B.

If it came with its boxes etc, nib size should be indicated on the outside of the box?

(Of course, it may have had an exchange.)

Nice pen. Congratulations.

The box says that it's a medium nib, but it didn't seem like one to me. By what people are saying here I'd say that you are right and it had a nib exchange.

I am not sure.

I own a broad nib and medium nib 149 that produce very similar lines.

I also own a fine nib that writes like a medium.

That is a magnificent nib on your pen.

Edited by meiers

I think that I'll have to get some sort of nib exchange, if I'm honest I just don't find this nib to be anywhere as enjoyable for me to write with compared to my other pens. I might try and get an EF nib on the pen.

Looks B to me, but the writing resembles a recent 146 M that I had (although the paper may be responsible for some of that spread or lack of edge).

I sent in my M for a nib exchange (to F), but I find the modern MB Fines to write like many other companies' mediums. I have since sent that pen for further grinding to a F w/ slight italic.

Edited by TCN01

Nooooooooooooooooooo.

Thats a fantastic nib.

Am I missing something? What's so fantastic about my nib? Please excuse my ignorance!

Nib fantasticness is in the eye of the beholder. I would say this nib gives your handwriting character. B-nibs are relatively rare and the fountain pen world is flooded with fine and medium nibs.

Oohh... I wish my 149 (M) was a broad....

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

If it were me I'd not rush into anything, but wait a while and see if my views didn't change with using it.

Also, a nib exchange through MB (or even buying one SH and having that fitted) will be your priciest option. If I definitely could not get on with that B nib then, as Meiers says, they are less common than Ms and even Fs and there are people out there who would welcome it. You could probably very easily sell the pen and then buy another with your preferred nib and it would cost you nothing (you might even make money).

Thanks for your advice Chunya. I'm going to wait and use my pen for a month or more and see then. I've already started to like using more since I got it first. In the end I'd say I'll keep the B nib, as I'm starting to really enjoy seeing the differences in it compared to my other M nibs!