The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

FPN appearing slow

Dearest Member or Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,
Due to a continuing DDoS attack, and a hardware malfunction, FPN is moving only slowly. Hosting Support is dealing with both issues, but unfortunately both take time. Until these both resolve, FPN will continue to be slow. ETA is not available yet. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Warm regards, the FPN Moderator & Admin Team

Photo

Touchdown Tuckaway Trouble

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2018 - 15:38

I'm hoping someone with deeper references than I can help me out. I recently resacked a modern Conway-Stewart Dandy for someone, who said, "Can I trade you a Tuckaway for the work?"

Well, sure.

And it turns out to be a blue TD version... with a Valiant-style cap band and an oblique stub Triumph point.  Which is very neat, and I feel I've done well out of the exchange, but looking into my 1949 and 1951 catalogues, I don't find that there was a Valiant Tuckaway. In the '49, there's a Sentinel Tuckaway, then Valiant and Statesmen without the Tucky counterparts, and following them a just plain Tuckaway (with very Statesman-like trim) on a page with the Admiral and Craftsman. The '51 has even less in the way of Tuckies.

So... given the hardware match, would I be astray in calling it a Valiant Statesman? Does anyone have documentation for such a creature? I'm not concerned it will fade from existence if I can't hang a reference on it (that only happened once, with a Waterman) but I do want to stick it on my site and I'd rather not spread misidentifications around... any more than I already have.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman, 13 June 2018 - 15:45.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• 8,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2018 - 20:15

I don't think, in the current context of society, one should shout "Silence implies consent!" but I'm going to take the lack of input here as not one having serious objections to the idea of a Touchdown Valiant Tuckaway.  Here's a picture of the beast, which I only got around to taking yesterday:

fpn_1529352780__sheaffer-0518.jpg

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#3 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:34

Looks all original and so likely came from factory like that.  But with a Madison stub nib who cares?

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 8,683 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 13:42

The question is what cap fits.  Given the difference in diameter between the Valiant and Statesman the answer would be pretty obvious, regardless what the cap band is.

Anything is possible if it was made in Canada.  Sorry, but that seems to be where the weird, off catalog variants come from for both Sheaffer and Parker.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Sponsored Content

|