The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

For Serious Journal Writers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2018 - 15:04

If you are of a ripe old age, like this poor earthen vessel, you might enjoy this writing project that has been taking up some of my time lately. 

About two weeks ago, I started making a list of the people I once knew who are no longer numbered among the living. This IS NOT MORBID exercise.  NO, NO, NO! 

I was really surprised at the length of my list, and am still adding a name or two. 

Again, this is not a MORBID exercise.  It is just a good way to go back over your life and remember folks you may have come close to forgetting. 

C. S.

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2018 - 17:55

It used to be that if you knew someone who died, it was someone's grandparents (unless it was something like a car accident).  Then, at one point after I got married, it was generally peoples' parents.  Now, it's people in my age bracket....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 FPFan

FPFan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,016 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2018 - 19:22

The immediate thought is that we have lost friends through our life from death, but I was 6 when my family moved from one state where we had been because of a work transfer for my dad and now at the ripe age of 6 wee were moving back Home. I still remember my childhood playmate. Because of our young age we didn't keep in touch and I still think of her as someone I lost. It was the first loss i remember and will never ever forget the name even though the face is long gone from my mind! I often wonder about her and where life took her! She was my first friend outside of the family. Maybe it is time to journal about the memory!

Fair winds and following seas.

#4 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 21:51

I lost a friend when I was about 10 or 11. Didn't know he was sick...perhaps a late diagnosis in the mid 1960s. Gone in about 2 months I think. Leukemia.
Every Memorial Day I pay tribute to not forget 9 men lost from one of my old units: 97th Bomb Wing (SAC) DEC 1972..LINEBACKER II. I visit with two men from those missions who live near me. I could write a book about the supportive cameraderie among veterans. I belong to the American Legion, AMVETS and DAV Disabled American Veterans.
Several of my former employees have passed on due to illness or an accident. As Andy Rooney once said, No one gets out of it.
Nothing wrong with keeping memories alive and keep my old journals. Only one ever got destroyed...an extraordinary circumstance of a really bad day.

Edited by Studio97, 13 June 2018 - 22:09.

#5 countrydirt

countrydirt

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2018 - 00:14

When we used to visit my grandmother in the nursing home, she would list off all the people there that she outlived.   

- Troy

#6 jbn10161

jbn10161

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 13:23

Far from being morbid, I think the occasional recognition of inevitable death can remind one to live more lively. At a memorial service I attended, someone used what he said was an old saying when he described the deceased as having "joined the majority."

JN

#7 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2018 - 18:23

Ah, yes, memento mori.

#8 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:31

One of the first people I knew who passed away, that was not a much older family member was a girl who lived down the street from me. Spinal Meningitis if I recall correctly. This was probably early 70's. The only other person was my great grandma. She was 94 years old, I was in Junior High.

This from a kid who grew up across the street from a cemetery during Vietnam. I saw a lot of military honors funerals with 21 gun salutes and taps. A lot of young men. I didn't know them of course.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Sponsored Content

|