The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Doing Crosswords With Fountain Pens

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 markofp

markofp

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2018 - 14:53

Almost every day I do the New York Times crossword puzzle with a fountain pen, usually my Edison Pearl with an extra-fine nib.  Don't think that I don't get grief for it. In fact, I've come to realize that I do it for three reasons: because I enjoy solving crosswords, for the joy of using my pens, and I take some pleasure in annoying people who think I am being, I don't know, too frou-frou or something.

Do you use FPs to do crosswords?  Which ones and which inks?

Attached Images

• IMG_1935.jpg

Edited by markofp, 13 June 2018 - 15:12.

Sponsored Content

#2 nigelg

nigelg

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2018 - 15:25

Yes, I do. I have a subscription to the UK Daily Telegraph puzzles site and the UK Guardian and Independent newspapers have free downloadable crosswords. Although I could do them on line, of course I prefer to print them off onto whichever decent paper I am using at the moment. (Currently a 140 sheet Black n' Red A4 professional Notebook with LH perforated 90gsm Optik paper- 3 for £1 each at a car boot sale!). I also have a few pads of Clairefontaine Pupitre A4 90gsm. I find both these papers suitable for using both sides without any discernible feathering or bleed-through with any pen/ink combination I have available. For crosswords on newspaper I would only use a fine nib with Quink as the paper is very nearly like blotting paper.

I did once bring a ream of the famous HP 32lb laser paper back from the States for this very purpose in my hand luggage without any problems from customs apart from a quizzical look. Well you have to do these things don't you?  :D

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift.
That's why it's called the present

#3 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,889 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2018 - 15:52

Every Day! I do the local paper crossword every day with my fountain pen! Usually a fine or xf nib with what ever ink is in the pen at the time.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#4 MalcolmH

MalcolmH

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2018 - 18:38

During the working week, we do the quick crossword in the metro, during the 15 minute afternoon break. I provide the pen, which is passed around, to fill in the answers. Today's pen was a Pilot Custom 74 blue demo, with a Medium nib. Good fun.   :)

#5 sharonspens

sharonspens

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2018 - 21:05

Yes, when I choose to the crossword, or word search, or even sudoku, I use whichever pen I happen to have inked and ready to go at the time. I try to pick the one with the darkest ink (I tend to have 3-5 pens inked at any one time). 

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

#6 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2018 - 22:35

I do not do crosswords, but thanks for reviving (for me) the term "frou-frou". :)

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#7 Steveg58

Steveg58

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:41

I don't do crosswords much but I have been using my Sailor 1911 fine nib for Sudoku.

#8 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,620 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:03

Every day, with a Parker 51 (usually).

My favourite is The Guardian (UK), but more often these days I do the cryptic crosswords in the free papers (horrible newspapers) on my commute to work.

The nib has to be smooth, if it catches on the upstroke, it can trash the puzzle!

Thanks

#9 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,620 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:04

During the working week, we do the quick crossword in the metro, during the 15 minute afternoon break. I provide the pen, which is passed around, to fill in the answers. Today's pen was a Pilot Custom 74 blue demo, with a Medium nib. Good fun.   :)

Excellent pen sharing! Nice work.

#10 Fountainer

Fountainer

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:22

I do crosswords like once in a month. FP is not erasable, so i don't find it optimal for that purpose. Fortunately, i have a combo pen so i still get to use my favourite FP from the pencil end. When i get sure about some words, i often confirm them with the fountain pen end. I'd like to try an english crossword puzzle, could be refreshing and educational, but maybe too hard.

There are other ways than the easiest one too.

#11 markofp

markofp

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 18:44

The nib has to be smooth, if it catches on the upstroke, it can trash the puzzle

I gave up on using a Lamy Safari with an extra-fine nib for this reason, the nib would clog with paper fibers with only half the puzzle done.

#12 nauta_atramentorum

nauta_atramentorum

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 19:34

I gots no crossword skilz.

In fact, the permanency of a #2 Ticonderoga scares me.

The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass. ~ Martin Mull

#13 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 19:57

Usin' fountain pens doin' NYT / SNYT crossword..for more than two score.

Fred
happy mortal when you read me   I shall be no more

my story is short and frank.. because none of you

shall see my writing

~ Joachim Martin,Fiddler..Carpenter..................

#14 markofp

markofp

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 21:50

Usin' fountain pens doin' NYT / SNYT crossword..for more than two score.

Fred

I have to ask: what ink do you use to NOT make a mess with the Sunday puzzle which is printed on light coated glossy stock?  Do you blot? :)

#15 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 22:54

I have to ask: what ink do you use to NOT make a mess with the Sunday puzzle which is printed on light coated glossy stock?  Do you blot? :)

Using a Parker "51" vacumatic fine nib with Pilot blue- black ink..blotting is not needed.

Have last Sunday NYT's in front of me..and writing on without any issues....Made a circle with pen on the coated glossy stock... two seconds after...... ran my

finger over..No problemo.................Whatsoever.

Fred

Dear Reader: Have you ever made a citizen's arrest?

No {    } Yes [     }

#16 Nail-Bender

Nail-Bender

"Allo, daffy English kniggets"

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:49

FPR non-flex nib ground to xxf in a Triveni Jr.

Ink is PR Ultra Black fast dry.

I can write on a paper towel with that pen so it's handy for also filling out forms at work.

#17 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:14

Whatever pen is in the rotation gets the nod.  Tomorrow it will be a vintage Sheaffer's 3-25 loaded with Cayenne.  Today was an Edison Collier filled with Bad Belted Kingfisher.  Whatever the hand tells me it wants to use.

Dave Campbell
Science Teacher and Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Sponsored Content

|