Hello From Williamsburg, Va

thetemptrack

Hello everyone! I have, like probably most newbies here, recently gone deep into this hobby, though I got my first fountain pen four years ago as a gift from a friend upon completion of my PhD (a lovely green Pelikan M200). I don't know why it took me so long to actually start using and, more importantly, appreciating it...but I have!! And I sort of went on a binge trying out different nibs and inks and am now only really realizing the hole I have fallen down!!! But I love it and cannot imagine a better and more welcoming new hobby.

I look forward to meeting everyone on the boards and drawing on the well of knowledge available here (and maybe swapping some pens to try new stuff!!).

And speaking of knowledge, I have been trying to upload a photo and change other settings but I seem to be missing some tabs/options in the UserCP. I only have Email & Password, Display Name, Ignore Preferences, Manage Attachments, Notification Options, and my Notifications listed on the page. However, in the manuals it says I should also see: Profile Settings, Profile Customization, Signature, and others. Is this just something that is limited for new members? Thanks for your help and I look forward to meeting you in the forums.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thetemptrack

• Stompie

• hbquikcomjamesl

• DaveT

Hello and welcome to FPN. :W2FPN:

There are many things that you can't do for the first week and/or the first month as a new member. Please check out the Rules & Guidelines for when you can upload and access other stuff. ^^^^^^^

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Welcome to FPN from North Carolina! Enjoy your stay.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!! Some features are not available to new members until they have been a member for a week.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Thank you for all the warm greetings and information! I tried to find out an answer to the settings question before posting, but I see I was looking in the wrong place. Thank you for being patient as I learn the ropes (I has seen other message boards and forums where people can get rather snarky, glad to see FPN is as friendly as I had heard and hoped). I'm looking forward to diving in and learning more about this wonderful hobby!

Hello and Welcome!

Well, until you earn your stripes and can post pictures tells us about the inks you bought on your trip down the rabbit hole :D

What pens do you have your eye on? Have a look at the Chinese pens, very cheap and very good as well. Those that do not perform that well are easily sorted for very little outlay and some folk fit all sorts of nibs to them! Lots of fun to be had.

Well, I have been less about exploring inks, though I have recently tried out some Noodler's and Colorverse. I largely am staying within a limited range of finding a good black (right now Noodler's is my favorite), blue, and purple (I got some Iroshizuku early on that I really like). I also bought some basic Waterman inks to go with the small collection of vintage Esterbrooks that I recently acquired (also found a Waterman Commando with a 14k Ideal nib that is really cool).

I've been trying out a number of pens and nibs, discovering what I like (the cheap Jinhao's with swappable #6 nibs have been great for that). I really like writing letters with a stub nib, but for most days stick to fine or some medium nibs. I have also discovered that I really don't care for most demonstrator pens (and will probably be looking to sell or swap the few that I did buy soon), but also I am not a huge fan of most of the colorful materials used in a lot of pens. I really like the classic styling of Pelikan and also Pilot (the two brands I think I am going to mainly focus on trying to collect, with maybe a few Platinum and Sailor thrown in).

As someone whose academic background (I am a librarian, professor, and musician) whose research interest lie in Japanese music, film, and culture, I have to say that some of those high end Namiki and Nakaya pens really do call to me...luckily there is no way I can afford them right now!!!

Well, I have been less about exploring inks, though I have recently tried out some Noodler's and Colorverse. I largely am staying within a limited range of finding a good black (right now Noodler's is my favorite), blue, and purple (I got some Iroshizuku early on that I really like). I also bought some basic Waterman inks to go with the small collection of vintage Esterbrooks that I recently acquired (also found a Waterman Commando with a 14k Ideal nib that is really cool).

I've been trying out a number of pens and nibs, discovering what I like (the cheap Jinhao's with swappable #6 nibs have been great for that). I really like writing letters with a stub nib, but for most days stick to fine or some medium nibs. I have also discovered that I really don't care for most demonstrator pens (and will probably be looking to sell or swap the few that I did buy soon), but also I am not a huge fan of most of the colorful materials used in a lot of pens. I really like the classic styling of Pelikan and also Pilot (the two brands I think I am going to mainly focus on trying to collect, with maybe a few Platinum and Sailor thrown in).

As someone whose academic background (I am a librarian, professor, and musician) whose research interest lie in Japanese music, film, and culture, I have to say that some of those high end Namiki and Nakaya pens really do call to me...luckily there is no way I can afford them right now!!!

Hmm, after reading that I think you are beyond Rabbit Hole and more like Grand Canyon already! :lticaptd:

Yeah...I have a tendency to do that. As not only a person whose's job literally depends on "research," I tend to dive in head first whenever I find a new obsession and get fixated until I burn out the initial intense curiosity and find my stead state. Which I think I have about 3 months in. It is a fun, intense, if a bit expensive, way of finding my footing.

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Thank you to everyone for the warm invites! I look forward to diving into the message boards soon...though it is a bit overwhelming knowing where to start!!

Welcome to the Squirrel Cage.

Williamsburg. Been there a few times myself (never venturing very far from the CW Historic District).

--

James H. H. Lampert

Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink

Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,

Blacky minky, Bottle of ink! -- Edward Lear

Hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines