Advice For Noobs I Wish I'd Had

Uncial

Interesting read. I wouldn'nt take part in the discussion but would only say I am the kind of person who learns from each and every experience - bad or good - and continue the journey ahead in the light of lessons so learnt.

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Uncial

• truthpil

• inkstainedruth

I agree almost completely. However, cheap pens can be a great way to explore what you like and want in a pen. But do it wisely, and slowly.

Buy a reliable entry level pen (Platinum Plaisir, Pilot MR or Kakuno, Lamy Safari, Faber-Castell Loom, etc.) and use it for at least a few months to up to a year. Once you know what you regard as necessary to the writing experience, and what you really wish you might change about the pen to make it better, use that knowledge to inform your next purchase. When the new cheap pen arrives, use it for at least a few months to a year, to get to know it really well, and then use that knowledge to inform your next purchase.

Once you've got a really good handle on what you like with regards to length, girth, weight, section shape, balance, nib, filling system, styling, and all the rest, then it's time to start looking for a pen of a lifetime.

Edited by Arkanabar

Wow, that was an orticle.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I think your original post is a well put together piece and I couldn't agree more with your sentiments. I believe the compulsion that works it's way into most serious fountain pen owners, the longer they become involved in the chase for the "perfect pen", is not a "one size fits all" scenario.

I believe some advice given to newcomers is often very subjective and based on personal likes and dislikes, yes I put my hand up I'm guilty of this. While not wrong advice it can reflect the poster's preferences. I really love Pilot, Lamy and even the humble Wing Sung pen, these are right for me but I am not naive enough to believe they are the perfect blend for everyone.

Newbies could do alot worse than read the original post and reflect on it when they make purchases.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

It is difficult to recommend what you don't like, and it's hard to not recommend what you like. It is even hard to know if you are giving unbiased advice sometimes.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I'd like to add my own bit of advice, and it is because it is about ink, which is my favorite part of the hobby:

1. Use those cheap pens and try all the inks. Don't avoid anything based on brand. If you like its look, get a sample. If it doesn't damage the cheap pen and you like its performance, get a bottle.

2. You don't have to be anal about cleaning the pens out unless you are changing inks or you LIKE to (I like cleaning my pens).

3. Try the ink in several cheap pens with different sizes. A blue black ink can look black in one pen, blue black in another, and green in a third! That one pen/ink combination can be what you've been searching for all year (happened to me).

3. Try the ink in several cheap pens with different sizes. A blue black ink can look black in one pen, blue black in another, and green in a third! That one pen/ink combination can be what you've been searching for all year (happened to me).

Or even look different on different paper. I had someone absolutely convinced I was using a green ink one time at a pen club. It was Waterman Mysterious Blue. Which looks blue-black in my Miquelrius journal and medium teal blue on the cheap Piccadilly paper I use for testing inks.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

As a newbie myself, I must thank you all for all the advice, especially about going slowly and getting to know the "cheap" starter pens before trying to branch out into other things, as that really makes sense to me. There is a dizzying lot of things out there that are beautiful and expensive, and not really knowing what I like (and not knowing in some cases if it is me or the pen, which I'm still trying to suss out about the first FP I have been able to write with, alas) has made a lot of it kind of overwhelming and frightening for my wallet :P Fortunately, I am more susceptible to ink temptation from my previous experience with dip pens, so I haven't done too much serious damage to the wallet on account of a particular pen yet, but I like the advice I am seeing here.

And, speaking from the newbie perspective, more information is almost always better, so I appreciate the OP as much as the responses and rebuttals! Yes, it's tough to be unbiased, but I look at most advice the way I look at Yelp reviews--people are always going to rate based on their tastes because that's what they know/feel, and it's up to me to comb through the descriptions to see if it aligns with mine from what I know of my own likes and dislikes. Nobody can learn for me, but having information like all of this will (hopefully) help cushion the eventual fall down the proverbial rabbit hole ;) Thank you!

Nevermind me! I'm just an inkling, a mere pigment of your imagination...

Fountain pens can be fussy and a money pit. I often retreat to my nicer ballpoints and pencils.

Ooh now that we're getting into inks and papers on here...here's my two cents:

- Whenever possible, get a sample or cartridge of an ink before you commit to a whole bottle. I've got over 50 bottles of ink that rarely see the light of day because I didn't follow that advice sooner. Sure it's much cheaper per oz/ml to buy the bottle, but that's only if you plan on using the whole bottle! For me the only exception to that rule is when the bottle is cheaper than a sample (as with Chinese inks where I am). If it's a special ink or one not easily found for sale as a sample, post a want ad on here and some loving soul may send you a sample for free! One of the things that has really impressed me about the FPN community is generosity and the selfless willingness of members to help others grow in the hobby.

- Before going bonkers trying every exciting ink color you can find out there, start with inks that are more likely to work with the paper you use everyday. Of course over time you'll end up going down the rabbit trail of papers and eventually settle on something nice like Rhodia or Tomoe River, but I think it's best for one's sanity and wallet to focus on one aspect of this addicting hobby at a time. First off, make sure you have inks that you love using with the paper you already have or that you have to use for work or school. Once you've got your core workhorse inks, then start branching out toward the wild side. Most of the previously mentioned 50+ abandoned ink bottles are ones with exciting colors that just bleed through and feather on any paper I have to use at the office.

This is a great thread, looking forward to hearing more wisdom from you all!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

That's excellent advice about the inks, TruthPil.

1. Go to a pen show and try out a bunch of pens. This will help you get a better idea of what you like and what you don't. Weight, length, diameter, balance, slip cap, snap cap, screw cap, piston or aero filler, threads, grip section, point size, wet or dryness, cap off time, etc. This is important because if you don't like it you won't use it.

2. Get an ultrasonic cleaner.

3. Learn how to grind and polish a nib. Nibs can usually be adjusted to your writing style. You do not have to live with a bad nib.

4. You can't mash a fine or extra fine point. You have to adjust your writing style if you are used to writing with ball points. Even more so if you are a lefty.

5. Flex takes time. Writing fast with a flex nib takes some skill.

6. If you like a pen and use it, do not be discouraged by people that do not like that model. And do not let anyone else use it.

7. Find paper you like and stick with it, or experiment. Paper is cheap, pens are not. Good paper makes a difference.

8. Ink. Get samples and have fun. Some are wet. Some are dry. Some work better in some pens than others.

Remember there are four components to writing with fountain pens: the pen, the paper, the ink, the technique.

and shamelessly enjoy it.

That's excellent advice about the inks, TruthPil.

Thanks, that knowledge cost me hundreds of dollars.

As a newbie, my only concern with this is - the research is often contradictory, but even more important - what ARE the top vintage brands? Where does one go to buy them? etc, etc, For us true newbies who don't have even an inkling (honestly, I do have somewhat of an idea of the answers to these questions - but I didn't a couple of months ago, and I still don't know who to buy from).

I think for absolutely new newbies - it's good advice. At least it was for me, when someone gave it to me!

Once again, my main problem is knowing who the established sellers are for vintage. I'll research more and figure it out, but some people will just jump in. I feel like right now I know just enough to be dangerous, lol.

I'm not active here on FPN, come to think of it, no one here knows me or what I do (except for one person). But for the past 3 years I have successfully introduced a lot of newbies to vintage pens. And I do so by setting up an Instagram account (@redeempens) that shows what various vintage pens can do. If you have some spare time, feel free to have a look. Quite a few people told me that it's useful to give them some direction (or warning) if they would enjoy vintage pens or not.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

Ultrasonic cleaners:

My stand is that most people do more harm to their pens using an UC (plating flaking off, moisture getting into parts where it does not belong etc.) and I think these are unnecessary unless you are handling a lot of ink encrusted vintage pens. Normally ink should come out of a pen just with (luke)warm water. If it takes more than one flush then it is just the way it is. Fill the pen with water and let it empty itself out on a paper towel over night. Rinse and repeat.

And that is a general advice I would give: Be patient and take your time.

Ultrasonic cleaners:

My stand is that most people do more harm to their pens using an UC (plating flaking off, moisture getting into parts where it does not belong etc.) and I think these are unnecessary unless you are handling a lot of ink encrusted vintage pens. Normally ink should come out of a pen just with (luke)warm water. If it takes more than one flush then it is just the way it is. Fill the pen with water and let it empty itself out on a paper towel over night. Rinse and repeat.

And that is a general advice I would give: Be patient and take your time.

I think that is very good advice. Ultrasonic cleaners have great advantages in some circumstances, but I've seen quite a lot of pens stripped of plating. The other thing that happens over time with the UC is that if you're not extremely careful the micro vibrations create a host of little micro scratches that you don't see at first but can suddenly build up in small patches to give the impression of a matt appearance - by which time of course, it is too late.

There is a slight obsession among some in relation to cleaning a pen too which can be especially problematic in the long term for friction fit nibs and feeds. I know that, for example, the Parker 45 probably has to be dismantled to clean properly if changing inks, but not all pens needs such extreme care and attention and dismantling can have unwanted long term effects. If a nib and feed is friction fit, pulling it out and shoving it back in once a week, year after year will eventually cause a stress fracture or loosen the fit resulting in leaking and burping. So long as people are aware they are reducing the longevity of their pens that's fine (it's their money and their pen) but some newbies seem to be under the impression that ink in a pen should be treated as if it were a toxic chemical spill.

There is a slight obsession among some in relation to cleaning a pen too which can be especially problematic in the long term for friction fit nibs and feeds. I know that, for example, the Parker 45 probably has to be dismantled to clean properly if changing inks, but not all pens needs such extreme care and attention and dismantling can have unwanted long term effects. If a nib and feed is friction fit, pulling it out and shoving it back in once a week, year after year will eventually cause a stress fracture or loosen the fit resulting in leaking and burping. So long as people are aware they are reducing the longevity of their pens that's fine (it's their money and their pen) but some newbies seem to be under the impression that ink in a pen should be treated as if it were a toxic chemical spill.

Ooh, yes. This is an important point. I've irreparably ruined quite a few Chinese pens by constantly removing the nib and feed for cleaning or swapping nibs.

I guess some slightly related advice then is, if you are going to use crazy inks that don't want to get out of your pens (some Noodler's "bulletproof" and "eternal" inks, as well as strong iron-gall inks come to mind), then dedicate a pen to each. That way you don't wear your pen out by cleaning it after each fill or ink change. Besides....it makes for another totally valid and reasonable excuse to explain to your spouse why you need another pen. :D

4. Forget about fancy 'flex' nibs and 'wet noodles'. Unless you have a seriously large amount of cash that you can afford to loose and a large portion of patience, then don't even bother. Take every last claim of a 'flexible' nib with a large grain of salt. It's the holy grail of the pen world right now and many, many people chase it. 'Wet noodles' are an incredibly rare thing, but you wouldn't think that looking at ebay. I'd wager that 99.99% of 'flexible' nibs sold on the bay are nothing more than slightly soft gold nibs. Modern 'flex' nibs are (so far) nothing more than a con. If you really, really must have flexible nibs then get a dip pen. You will be far, far less disappointed and richer.

Amen brother!

Gold flex is such a crock.

I've lost a lot of money on them and now write with a cheap hybrid or modified Creaper.

If you really want one, try it at a show first.

Most advocates of vintage flex can't even use one.

I have never needed a Ultrasonic cleaner and don't believe the average pen owner/user/collector doesn't either. Luke warm water or in a pinch a 10:1 distilled water:ammonia mix for more stubborn issues. That being said, just this past weekend I did a good distilled water:ammonia soak on my Lamy Al Star & Jinhao 599. The Al Star had never had that particular procedure preformed before. Water only. I bought it in 1998.

I believe many of the problems (but not all) that people have had with their TWSBI pens are due to the belief of some owners/users that they need to tear the thing down every time they change ink colors. TWSBI doesn't do themselves a lot of favors in this regard by including a wrench to do just that.

Some inks are nasty. I consolidated a couple of 10 ml vials of Sterling Violet (from 3 to 2) over the weekend in order to be able to use the sample vial. This ink is so nasty, it has been soaking in the 10:1 ammonia mix since Saturday or Sunday, and I just tonight dumped the dirty mix and put in fresh and the vial still isn't completely clean. It is a vintage ink. Great color, but it does stain the plastic in a vial. I imagine it would a demonstrator too. And its a great color. With an ink like that you either don't leave it in a pen (any pen) very long, or don't worry about staining. It has probably been in the vial a couple of years.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain