How Expensive Are Your Everyday Pens?

dragondazd

Nothing more than $25.

If it is lost or stolen, minimal financial impact.

One might say it depends on how you define financial impact. I'd tend to think that making the expenditure on a pen not to use it would be the real financial impact (if that's going to be the pen's fate, much better not buying it and retaining that money in my pocket).

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• inkstainedruth

• pajaro

• TSherbs

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

One might say it depends on how you define financial impact. I'd tend to think that making the expenditure on a pen not to use it would be the real financial impact (if that's going to be the pen's fate, much better not buying it and retaining that money in my pocket).

I have the better stuff, but they stay and are used at home where I can use them in comfort and not worry about them.

My wife's boss has "lost" at least five Montblancs over the years. I could not afford to lose one of them.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

My EDC's never really run more than $75 (my Ranga) and typically much less (PenBBS 309, Jinhao.x750-Jowo), maybe my FPR Himalaya or TWSBI Eco.

I like EDC's that function well but don't cost too much to lose or break.

I'm looking forward to what Karas Kustoms is doing with their reaktor line up. I've heard mixed reviews so I'm waiting to hear more.

Having said what I carry, I can see how some feel that if they spent the $$$ on a pen they should use it as much as they want to.

Just a different perspective on life.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I use the pens I own. That's what I buy them for. So I don't think about cost for my EDC. I take what will fit the writing I'm going to do. If I will be filling out forms with tiny lines, I take a fine point. If I'm going to be doing a lot of writing, I take one that has a cartridge loaded up so I can carry a spare. And so forth.

Have a couple of pens of sentimental value - they stay at home. All the others will go out and about. No big deal really, as none of my pens are much above £50/$70. My preferred pens are Safari/Vista, Schneider Smart and Baoer 388 - I love M nails - yes I know: Boring :D Should one of these get lost or nicked they are easy and relatively cheap to replace.

In my EDC bag there is a Parker 17 FP in black with matching pencil and BP in a very nice leather case - not exactly rarities, so no worries there either,

If I one day should decide to buy something more expensive, it will also be used out of the house. Pens are tools, but then again, I am not a collector - maybe a bit of a hoarder though :P

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

This has been an informative post for me so far. I am relieved a lot of you are like me inkeeping yourdaily use pens at more or less $200, usually less. That is my comfort zone and it looks like many of yours too.

I’ll add that for my work I have to hand a pen to clients for their signatures and it always made me nervous. So I got one of those Jinhao knockoffs of a Parker 51 and I’m much more comfortable. Someone actually commented on it being a P51 and I just said “uh huh.”

I

Well last night at choir, it was the monthly "birthday" night for one of the members (cake and a card). And I was signing the card with the pen I had on me, the Pilot Decimo, and someone wanted to borrow it to sign as well. And I said, "Be really careful because it's an 18K nib...." (It was that pen or the Cross Solo with dilute Noodler's Red or the new purple Parker Vector with Robert Oster Black Violet, which has not been an ideal match....

But she didn't damage it, so all is well, and I explained the story about having to have someone order it from Japan for me in order to get the color I wanted (light grey). And yeah, I have more expensive pens than the Decimo that also go out and about.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well last night at choir, it was the monthly "birthday" night for one of the members (cake and a card). And I was signing the card with the pen I had on me, the Pilot Decimo, and someone wanted to borrow it to sign as well. And I said, "Be really careful because it's an 18K nib...." (It was that pen or the Cross Solo with dilute Noodler's Red or the new purple Parker Vector with Robert Oster Black Violet, which has not been an ideal match....

But she didn't damage it, so all is well, and I explained the story about having to have someone order it from Japan for me in order to get the color I wanted (light grey). And yeah, I have more expensive pens than the Decimo that also go out and about.

OMG I wouldn't let anybody touch that pen -_-

Even my inexpensive ones in my rotation won't be used by anyone :glare: .

OMG I wouldn't let anybody touch that pen -_-

Even my inexpensive ones in my rotation won't be used by anyone :glare: .

You know, if you don't then IMO you're reinforcing the "elitist" snob-factor that people associate with fountain pens. Yes, I could have handed her the Cross Solo with a nail for a nib. But the ink in that pen is diluted and doesn't look all that great (I really need to finish the fill and flush the pen out). And honestly, all I had to say was "Be a little careful -- it has an 18K nib" and all was good.

And who knows? We might have another convert. I mean, last month at the Steel City Nibs meeting a guy wandered over from another table to see what was going on, and it turned into "Here, try this one and see how you like the weight and balance!" "Hey, if you think you want an extra fine nib try this one...." "Oh, here are some websites to order pens from" for the next twenty minutes or so. The guy is apparently a psychologist, so has to write up notes all the time (we'll see if he actually shows up to the meeting tonight, I know he got put on the mailing list).

At choir on Monday, I was standing right there -- it wasn't like she grabbed the pen off a desk or anything.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You know, if you don't then IMO you're reinforcing the "elitist" snob-factor that people associate with fountain pens.

I agree with that. I'm really conscious about that. I'll hand a co-worker or a colleague whatever pen I have and give them the same warning. And mostly for the same reason. I don't want people looking at my pens and suddenly wondering if I need some sort of comeuppance, so I try to be generous with them. Clients, on the other hand, for a number of reasons, if they break one, I have to just laugh and shrug it off. So they get a cheapie.

I'm lazy to pick around, so all the inked pens travel together.

If I left the more expensive pens lying separated somewhere, they'll most likely not getting any chance in the rotation.

You know, if you don't then IMO you're reinforcing the "elitist" snob-factor that people associate with fountain pens. Yes, I could have handed her the Cross Solo with a nail for a nib. But the ink in that pen is diluted and doesn't look all that great (I really need to finish the fill and flush the pen out). And honestly, all I had to say was "Be a little careful -- it has an 18K nib" and all was good.

And who knows? We might have another convert. I mean, last month at the Steel City Nibs meeting a guy wandered over from another table to see what was going on, and it turned into "Here, try this one and see how you like the weight and balance!" "Hey, if you think you want an extra fine nib try this one...." "Oh, here are some websites to order pens from" for the next twenty minutes or so. The guy is apparently a psychologist, so has to write up notes all the time (we'll see if he actually shows up to the meeting tonight, I know he got put on the mailing list).

At choir on Monday, I was standing right there -- it wasn't like she grabbed the pen off a desk or anything.

Did the psychologist show up at the meeting?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I usually keep 2 Platinum 3776's (one F and one M), an Esterbrook J (a very fat M), and my Lamy 2000 (F) at work. So at most I'll usually have one or two in my suit pockets at all times, the others are kept in my office. I'm in court every day and I use my pens pretty much all the time. I don't lend them out. My office doesn't have a lot of people, and everybody knows I'm into "those fancy pens" so I'm not worried about them going anywhere.

I'm a pastor. One of the many fun parts of my vocation is when it comes time to have people sign marriage licences. I try to carry a significant (in my eyes) pen for those occasions. It always involves the requisite warnings and usually some education on how to hold the pen with the proper nib orientation. I don't know if the others find it fun, but I do. The most usual comment is something like, "Oohh, nice pen."

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

£0 to £400.

I have a MB Writer's Edition that tends to stay at home - the rest - the MB146 down are everyday pens.

I tend to carry two - A sailor Sapporo (that 14k nib!) (£125) and another - at the moment its the Platinum #3776.

Whatever a Lamy Safari or Al-Star runs for - 20 - 30 dollars? The good pens never leave the house.

Took my Pilot Yukari Vermillion on a lengthy trip recently and didn't worry about it because it was always with me. What is interesting, when I used it in public no one ever said "my, what a big pen you have". In everyday hustle and bustle I have a clutch of Pilot Varsities that I use, lose, give away. It is still amazing that a pen that costs so little is so much fun to write with.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare