How Expensive Are Your Everyday Pens?

dragondazd

Just wondering how expensive of a pen people are comfortable carrying around both in terms of price and durability.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• inkstainedruth

• pajaro

• TSherbs

Up to about $150. This includes all of my pens as my most expensive is at that price point. (Pelikan 140) It in fact is a daily carry/user many days.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Currently downgrading as I feel less and less comfortable exposing my vintage pens to daily wear and tear. While I understand it's important to enjoy my pens, it is less about the cost; I just can't shake the feeling that vintage pens are a finite resource, so I'm pressing a Metropolitan and Safari back into use.

My everyday pens right now are my Lamy 2000, Parker Vacumatic, or Pilot Custom 91 depending on what ink/nib I want to have with me - so about $100-150 range at the most.

That being said, I only have one pen that's more expensive (a Franklin-Christoph) and I don't carry it around only because it's my dedicated pen for my Bible transcription because of the Masuyama italic I got with it, so it stays home.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

I am comfortable using all of my pens in public. In the past, I used commemorative and collector editions and some of those were priced over $1000. After selling most of my collection, most of my remaining pens are vintage with the most expensive pen I own being under $300. I use all of them in and out of the house.

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

Most of my pens are under $AU100 (about $US75) with a few near $AU200.

The only pens I have doubts about taking out are my Maki-E pens. On the basis of looks my cheap Jinhao pens are more likely to get nicked than my Sailor pens.

Hi,

A few days ago my backpack had an Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe and a Parker 180 Torsade (there's one for sale on ebay for some $400). Wasn't uncomfortable, but I must add that when either's out of the bag, it never leaves my hand (this is true for any pen I carry, regardless of value).

alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

I rotate all of my pens so all get their opportunity to leave the house. Some of them have high replacement costs. I do not carry the same risks as people who work or are students.

X

All my pens were made after World War II. There's a concentration of pens made in the 1950s or early 1960s. Not likely to suffer from everyday use. In general I haven't been given to losing pens since childhood, when I did lose some.

I don't worry about having either a pen or any other possession stolen while it's with me; if a pen is at home and I'm not, I do understand that burglary is possible.

So, yes, my pens aren't what I think of as luxury items, but let us say European educated middle class items, and if I can leave the house at my age, so can they.

The pen I carry to work that had the highest MSRP is my Montegrappa Desiderio. The most expensive pen I paid for that I still carry to work is my Pilot 823.

What ever is inked up! I'll likely stick a $1600 pen in my pocket tomorrow when I head out.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I don't take out my Pelikans very much because the caps tend to get loose and then I either lose the pen body or a have a mess in my shirt pocket.

Otherwise, my Nakayas don't go for walks.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

If I lose one, I have other pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

It varies from day to day. Current everyday users are an Edison Collier, Esterbrook J with a 9314-B nib, a 90 year old BCHR Eversharp, a vintage oversize jade Balance and an "anonymous" third tier pen from the 1930s that is a great writer. Like Pakman, I use my pens. Very few are limited to household duty and those only because they are very old and frail (1874 MacKinnon) or have historical value or historical provenance.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

It really depends . . .

On where I am going:

• locally: any of my pens
  • on a business trip domestically: any but those that have sentimental value
  • on an international business trip: my least expensive pens (Platinum Preppys, Pilot Petits, etc)

What I am planning to do:

• take notes at church: 2-3 pens of different colors
  • take notes at a client interview: one of my basic black pens (Lamy Aion, Lamy 2000)
  • journaling at the local coffee shop: my favorite writing pens

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

It depends on my specific location. At home, I've been using a lovely Nakaya with black ink on a regular basis. But it never leaves the house. In a decent setting, a Lamy 2000 or a Pilot Custom 823 are my regular writing pens.

Somewhere I'm worried about losing a pen, having it stolen, or conditions, I'll use a cheaper pen.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Sometimes I pack all six of my Montblanc pens: 2 FP,3 BP and 1 RB. But most days a Cross FP, Shaeffer FP,and Waterman FP. All between $20 to $50.