My Potential First 149, Worth It?

Honeybadgers

Found a great condition (near mint) 149 from the late 80's or early 90's for $400.

Comes with box and paperwork, 14k dual tone F nib, split ebonite feed and plastic blind cap threads.

I can't find much on this era 149's. Is it a fair price from a reputable retailer I've worked with before? Any noteworthy problems to look out for? How do they compare to the modern 149?

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• niksch

• meiers

• praxim

... a reputable retailer I've worked with before ....

Answered. :)

My 146 and 149 are from the period you describe. Perfectly good pens. Consequently, I have had no inclination to replicate them with new ones, buying older ones instead.

X

Found a great condition (near mint) 149 from the late 80's or early 90's for $400.

Comes with box and paperwork, 14k dual tone F nib, split ebonite feed and plastic blind cap threads.

I can't find much on this era 149's. Is it a fair price from a reputable retailer I've worked with before? Any noteworthy problems to look out for? How do they compare to the modern 149?

That's about just right for this pen. If you've worked with this retailer before, then you are a step ahead, I think. They are far superior to modern 149s. This is a subjective statement, but I've always preferred the 1960-1980s 149s over the 1990s-present versions.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

I have a lot of pens amassed over the last 5 years or so. It was only recently that I purchased my first 149. They seemed so large to me so I never was inclined to purchase one in the past. Now that I have a 149, actually two 149s, I wish I had purchased them years ago. Such wonderful pens. Definitely in my top 10 of best pens ever.

Edited by 888007888

well he ALSO offered to take it back for a refund if I didn't like it. I guess I don't have a choice!

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I'd say "go for it! "

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Congratulations! MBs are not for me, but if they were I would be very happy with such a find.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Actually, $400 for a 149 is on the low side. They can go much higher than that depending on condition and market.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Well worth it. I just can't afford it even at $400 and especially at the listed $900 plus new retail.

Sounds like a very good buy, especially from a retailer. I picked up a mid 80's 149 for about the same price at a pen show. Liked it so much I decided to purchase a brand new one from a Montblanc Boutique. You will love it, pick it up.

Pulled the trigger, worst case scenario I'll return it and buy something else from him. Nathaniel Cerf over at thepenmarket.com is one hell of a guy.

This was the pen in question.

https://www.thepenmarket.com/product-detail.aspx/5790-2771-used-mont-blanc-149

Actually, $400 for a 149 is on the low side. They can go much higher than that depending on condition and market.

And depending on the vintage-ness.

Thank a Veteran.

First, the 149 is a classic design: simple, clean, functional and therefore enduring. Second, it holds a substantial ink supply. Third, the price is a bargain. Finally, you'll like it!

Second, it holds a substantial ink supply.

It does, However, the modern 149, since the advent of the modern MB threaded piston mechanism, holds the exact amount of ink as the modern MB146. In fact many of the internal components are the same.

Thank a Veteran.

Your 149 should be excellent, if my similar one is any indication. Hope you enjoy it for many years!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

First, the 149 is a classic design: simple, clean, functional and therefore enduring. Second, it holds a substantial ink supply. Third, the price is a bargain. Finally, you'll like it!

The 149 and 146 have the same ID and spindle length, so the same ink capacity.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

The 149 and 146 have the same ID and spindle length, so the same ink capacity.

I agreed with you in my the post #17 of this thread. But it never hurts to have an pen repair expert chime in.. I actually wrote an in depth post about the ink capacity of the 1960s versions of the MB149s versus the modern 149s and 146s. But that was lost, I suppose, to the history of FPN posts. It has been 8 years or so.

Thank a Veteran.