Lamy 2000 Leak On The Section Along Steel Seam

MYU

I've had my Lamy 2000 for a good 10 years. I don't use it regularly and have had to clean out dried ink on a number of occasions. But lately I was using it with Pilot Iroshizuku ink. Everything was fine at first. But then when I'd uncap the pen after it laying on its side for a week, I'd find ink had leaked onto the brushed steel part of the section. It looks like it's coming from the seam between the steel and the Makrolon, in one particular spot. I don't see any issue when examining it up close with magnification. No cracks that I can find. I can't imagine the ink would compromise the section material and cause a leak. I have noticed a little ink build-up in the past, but it was sporadic and I'd just wipe it off. This time it was more profuse.

In my searches, all I'm turning up is leaks coming from the feeder hole or at the end of the section (the seam between the section and body). So, not the kind of leak I'm seeing on my pen. Has anyone here with a 2000 fountain pen encountered this?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• hari317

• ralfstc

• PaganArcher

I think this may be bad nib creep. The place you think the leak is originating is just where the inner cap sits, so if ink were seeping out and flowing down the section it might gather there. The Iroshizuku inks are weeeet- my partner uses them in her 2K and always has an inky section.

Try storing nib up, as an experiment?

Cheers,

Ralf

I seem to remember reading about seam leaks long back. I have not encountered it personally.

Have you ruled out transfer of dried ink from the inner cap to the section?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

It definitely isn't nib creep, as the ink isn't traceable back to the nib and there's hardly any ink in the cap. I avoid storing pens nib up, because the feed ends up with very little ink in it and that promotes drying out, creating layers of dried ink the feed tines that later requires significant flushing to remove.

It's definitely not left over ink in the cap, as I did clean it out and the ink still appeared. Anyway, Lamy Service was relocated last year, but I understand that Bob Nurin still has a hand in it. I may make a point of sending my pen in to be checked out.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I had this problem at one point with my EF Lamy 2000. I solved it by removing the section and adding a tiny bit of silicone grease to the threads.

If you're not sure roll a strip of thin paper around the suspected spot and let the pen rest as before for some days.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~