Cross Century Fountain Pen

thx1138

I just picked up a used gold plated, US made, century with an 18k broad nib.

It looks like a first series century.

This has immediately made it into my top 10 butter smooth writers.

Absolutely awesome pen. I only have one other century FP - a chrome with a medium steel nib.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thx1138

• 1nkulus

• phillaf

• Charles Rice

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After the photobucket fiasco i haven't found a new online hosting service yet.

Those original Cross Century pens from the 1980's are great if you have one with a good nib. I have 5 of them- Gold, Chrome, Matte black, Matte Grey and Matt Burgundy,

I prefer the matte finishes because they don't show fingerprints (the gold and chrome are fingerprint magnets)....and the matte finishes on Cross pens are quite durable.

You have to like thinner pens, though, to enjoy these.

Matte burgundy! I'll have to look for one. I bought a 10K gold filled pen in 1980 with a fine 14K nib. It is still nice.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

My pen has only "Cross USA" o. The top of the cap and cross in cursive down the clip. There is no marking as to gold content on the cap or barrel.

The nib has Cross 18k on it.

I had thought that the American nibs of this era were 24k. This pen came out of Indonesia so i wonder if it was originally intended for the European market.

Those original Cross Century pens from the 1980's are great if you have one with a good nib. I have 5 of them- Gold, Chrome, Matte black, Matte Grey and Matt Burgundy,

I prefer the matte finishes because they don't show fingerprints (the gold and chrome are fingerprint magnets)....and the matte finishes on Cross pens are quite durable.

You have to like thinner pens, though, to enjoy these.

I have two of these myself: Matte Black and Matte Burgundy. The only one missing from this collection that I desperately wish I could find is Matte (Dark) Blue, like they had for their rollerball and ballpoint models. I have all three colors in those pen types, but I am missing the matte blue in the fountain pen format. The thing is, I don't think Cross ever made the classic Century FP in matte blue like they did for their (classic Century) rollerball, ballpoint, and mechanical pencil products. :(

The Cross is a beautiful pen to write with it is now moved into my daily writer case.

The more I write with it the more I like it.

• 5 months later...

Nice, congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Yes, Cross is an excellent company and makes really good, high-quality pens. Their "Botanical" series is spectacular. I got one for my niece and she loves it. I have a Townsend and a Pen of the Year - they basically have the same body.

I know that Pelikan and other pen companies have pretty consistent shapes and so does Cross. However, I wish they would be more adventurous in their designs.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

Felicitations on what has turned out to be a very happy purchase. I have a number of those pens and I love them but, somewhat to my regret, don't fill them as often as I might. This may be a nudge to use them more often.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice find! I love Cross, what an underrated company.

Josh

I feel the same way. I think it has something to do with Cross ballpoints and pencil sets being used as gifts for years. I dont think the steel nibs and plastic inner slip caps help on the fountain pens either.

"If brute force has failed to yield the desired result, it simply means you've failed to yield enough force."

• 3 months later...

Yes, Cross is an underrated pen company. I got hooked on Cross when I was given a chrome plated century BP as a groomsman gift when I was in the 8th grade, in 1969. I loved that pen, and the other kids were SO jealous in my class. I later got a 14 kt. BP as a graduation present from college, and treasured it. Still have it, in fact. I added a 14 kt. FP and Rollerball, then a matte black BP when I was in the Navy, now have 2 sets of Townsends, a Verve Shimmer Gold FP, and one I don't remember the name of with a snakeskin body and chrome cap. I like them all, and they all write extremely well. Had only one problem with lack of flow with cartridges, but Cross fixed it at no charge, as always. Don't use them as much as I should. Might break out the Verve this week!

Regards,

Phil

I do like my Century, but it is a little skinny for me - that's why I got a Townsend, too.

I do like my Century, but it is a little skinny for me - that's why I got a Townsend, too.

+1

Robust, simple and timeless with stellar CS. What's not to like.

Ought to use them more often.

I am firmly in the Townsend and Peerless camp although I do have a Century II somewhere.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 2 months later...

Just came back from more than two weeks away and my century wrote on the first attempt. no evaporation problems with this pen.