No Bespoke Nibs On Past Models...

Autococker07

Well, just got off the phone with a nice lady at the NY Boutique.... she says "No bespoke nibs on pens which are not currently sold". :(

This is a real let down, as I had evil plans afoot..... I cannot believe that at the insane price of a bespoke nib they cannot make a new nib..... :wacko:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Uncial

• thygreyt

• Autococker07

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

~ This year the McLean, Virginia boutique at Tysons Galleria gladly processed a Bespoke order for a 2000 WE Schiller.

I sketch with it every day.

I have another Bespoke request pending for a PoA model which is more than twenty years old, unlike any current model.

Mr. Axel Nier has made it very clear that his Bespoke Nib Team is delighted to craft Bespoke nibs for older WE and PoA models.

If the advice from the staff member is accurate, has there been a recent unannounced shift in policy?

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Good point, Tom.

Axel Nier knows what he is talking about. He and his cohort did a wonderful job on your Schiller WE.

The Boutique associate may have been mistaken. It does happen frequently. Seriously!!!

Edited by meiers

I recently got a BB nib put on a Dostoevsky (1997/98 I think). The B&M store were quite insistent that I would not be able to get the nib from Montblanc and suggested I just put a 146 nib into it. I was equally insistent that they would (I'd emailed them)....and they did.

I recently got a BB nib put on a Dostoevsky (1997/98 I think). The B&M store were quite insistent that I would not be able to get the nib from Montblanc and suggested I just put a 146 nib into it. I was equally insistent that they would (I'd emailed them)....and they did.

This is good to know... I have 14 Writers Edition's now, but they're all M or F (with one exception - a solitary B), and fancy putting some unusual nibs on a couple of them... have never really investigated this before... I assume the cost will be £250 ish per pen though?

Cost me 150 euro and they polished the pen and re-plated a few bits. It cost the same for a 149 that I did the same thing to but it wasn't very old and didn't need any other work but it did come back looking very shiny. Took about a week and a half in both instances.

Edited to add:

Sorry, I should have mentioned they had a BB for the Dostoevsky in stock, but indicated they would make a new nib for those not in stock. If I remember correctly the cost for this was precisely double, so it's worth checking with MB's head office first.

Edited by Uncial

I think theres a confusion between a specialty nib (BB or OBB etc) and a bespoke one. The first costs $350 the second around $1,700. Boutique people may oversee the naming difference.

While you should in theory be able to buy a specialty nib for any modern Montblanc, some models just arent feasible anymore so they decline providing it. But if you ask for a bespoke, the profit margin is so high theyll do it.

I think theres a confusion between a specialty nib (BB or OBB etc) and a bespoke one. The first costs $350 the second around $1,700. Boutique people may oversee the naming difference.

While you should in theory be able to buy a specialty nib for any modern Montblanc, some models just arent feasible anymore so they decline providing it. But if you ask for a bespoke, the profit margin is so high theyll do it.

This is what I was once told by a Boutique in Madrid, Spain.

They said: When you do a Bespoke order they can do "any" nib of choice, and maybe even a "specialty" nib.

By specialty nib they said it could be the standard dual tone nib pattern on a rose gold nib with engravings on the side, etc.

And by "Any" nib they meant any older special edition nib with the new characteristics (oblique, special angle, flexible, etc)

Well that sucks, but what pen model were you planning to get a bespoke nib for?

I will reserve that for if/when the project is complete :D so as not to jinx it.....

What were you planning?

See above.... :D

~ This year the McLean, Virginia boutique at Tysons Galleria gladly processed a Bespoke order for a 2000 WE Schiller.

I sketch with it every day.

I have another Bespoke request pending for a PoA model which is more than twenty years old, unlike any current model.

Mr. Axel Nier has made it very clear that his Bespoke Nib Team is delighted to craft Bespoke nibs for older WE and PoA models.

If the advice from the staff member is accurate, has there been a recent unannounced shift in policy?

Tom K.

This is what spurred my idea on, the nib on your Schiller is stunning in both appearance and performance.....

I only hope that Herr Nier's shop did not just mill down and heat treat the old nib, but I cannot image that the results you report would be possible from the original piece.... plus I am sure it is easier for that class of work to be done from scratch rather than modified from another nib.... I get the idea they are a bit finicky..... :D

Good point, Tom.

Axel Nier knows what he is talking about. He and his cohort did a wonderful job on your Schiller WE.

The Boutique associate may have been mistaken. It does happen frequently. Seriously!!!

I am hoping this is the case.....

Yes, part of the problem is that I was a remote customer, and have not contacted MB directly....yet

I believe this is what is going on...... that amount for "just a nib" is simply insane, and I bet they see very few people buying bespoke, especially for older pens....

This is what I was once told by a Boutique in Madrid, Spain.

They said: When you do a Bespoke order they can do "any" nib of choice, and maybe even a "specialty" nib.

By specialty nib they said it could be the standard dual tone nib pattern on a rose gold nib with engravings on the side, etc.

And by "Any" nib they meant any older special edition nib with the new characteristics (oblique, special angle, flexible, etc)

Great to hear.... I know they must keep the dies for special edition pens (in case of repair, of course), so I think the fee covers the trouble to swap dies, make one special nib, and swap back, plus the hand crafting from that point...... interruption of production is a PITA, and hand worked goods are expensive to produce, hence, it costs a pretty penny.......

Thanks to all of you for your comments.... I have certainly not given up, and will be looking to get up to NY to visit the handwriting 'puter before stepping on anyone's toes..... after I get in the system, (probably fall at earliest), I am sure I can get done what I need to do!