Help Me Decide On A Pen!

raggs

I hope I got this in the right place; still quite a newbie to this forum!

I am looking for a "next level" fountain pen - which to me means under $200. This may well be the only pen of this cost I am ever able to get, so I'm having lots of trouble making up my mind!

So far I have a Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Safari, and TWSBI eco. Out of these, i prefer the eco by far to the other two. I have severe arthritis in my hands and writing for a long time with either of the other two makes my hand cramp up (the whole reason I came back to fountain pens to begin with - it was getting quite painful to write even with gel pens with the rubber grips).

So, I originally was looking at a Pilot Custom 74, but a CSR at Goblet informed me that it wasn't a good choice for someone with small hands. (Did I mention that I have teeny, tiny hands? To the point where I have to buy my gloves from the children's section). She suggested the Edison Pearlette. I was also considering the Pilot Decimo. Researching the Pearlette led to lots of reviews comparing it to the Pelican M200. Researching the M200 led me to the M120 (and I LOVE blue, and stubs - so it made the list!).

At this point I'm swearing off researching any more lest I end up with a list of 50 pens to choose from, and thought I'd ask for help instead!

So - quite small hands, fairly severe arthritis. I'm looking for a daily writer pen (and I write a fair amount). The pens in question are the VP Decimo, the Edison Pearlette, the Pelikan M200 or the Pelican M120. My preferred pen at the moment is a 1.1 stub TWSBI eco. Edited to add: the two things I like about the TWSBI are the smoothness of the nib and the grip section is just about perfect and doesn't hurt!)

Help?

Edited by raggs

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• raggs

• sansenri

• akrohn2010

• Karmachanic

Maybe spend $20 or so on some cheap Chinese pens of different sizes and weights and try them out to see what suits your hand size and grip restrictions without committing to a big spend.

Apart from having a standard VP, I haven't used any of the pens you list but the TWSBI Eco looks similar to both the Diamond 580 and Vac 700R which I see as fairly heavy pens with a medium grip and I have large hands. Have you looked at a Platinum 3776 Century? About the same section diameter as my TWSBI Vac 700R and a half inch shorter but about half the weight.

The Lamy LX is a well behaved pen, same size but perhaps a tad lighter than a Safari. I find it better to write with.

I would class my standard Pilot VP as smallish grip but bigger than the LX and heavier than the LX or 3776 but lighter than my Vac 700R.

If you find a narrow section hard to grip consider looking at one of the Ranga ebonite pens. I have just received a Majestic which is a huge pen but very light for its size and a section that makes me think of a "good grip" fountain pen. You might find one of their smaller models appropriate.

Good hunting!

Do you live in an area with a good writing store or pen show coming up? Trying to make the decision to spend $100-200 on a next level pen is tough without seeing and trying them in person, especially if you have arthritis.

For what it's worth, you picked good options: if you like the tapered, smooth section and light weight of the Eco I'd definitely consider the Edison Pearlette, Pelikan M200/120 or maybe a Pilot Custom 91 or 92 imported from Japan. All are light and close to the same section width and weight as an Eco and quality pens. The Edison and Pelikan have swappable nibs too, and Edison's customer service is fantastic.

Edit to add: I'd definitely try to see/write with a Vanishing Pt/Decimo before buying: when I tried one it felt a bit heavy and depending on your grip, the clip can be an issue. Great piece of engineering but not for everyone.

Good luck!

Edited by flyingpenman

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

This approach may help.

Goulet Pens lists the dimensions of the pens they sell including weight, width, length and so on. Look up the pens that work for you and note the appropriate dimensions. Now look at the pens you may be interested in and note those dimensions. This may help you make an informed decision

For example:

Eco

Section Width 9.1mm

Overall Weight 21 grams

Pelikan M200

Section Width 9.3 mm

Overall Weight 14 grams

Pelikan M120

Section Width 9.1 mm

Overall Weight 14 grams

All the best!

Add lightness and simplicate.

This approach may help.

Goulet Pens lists the dimensions of the pens they sell including weight, width, length and so on. Look up the pens that work for you and note the appropriate dimensions. Now look at the pens you may be interested in and note those dimensions. This may help you make an informed decision

For example:

Eco

Section Width 9.1mm

Overall Weight 21 grams

Pelikan M200

Section Width 9.3 mm

Overall Weight 14 grams

Pelikan M120

Section Width 9.1 mm

Overall Weight 14 grams

All the best!

Great advice! Based on those dimensions, you want a pen with a decently sized section but not a big pen; from what I have: Sailor Professional Gear, Pelikan m205 for a modern look, m400 for a better nib, Lamy Studio with a rubber section (the silver model, the others have shiny sections). I'm not sure if Parker Sonnets would be too thin.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Maybe spend $20 or so on some cheap Chinese pens of different sizes and weights and try them out to see what suits your hand size and grip restrictions without committing to a big spend.

Apart from having a standard VP, I haven't used any of the pens you list but the TWSBI Eco looks similar to both the Diamond 580 and Vac 700R which I see as fairly heavy pens with a medium grip and I have large hands. Have you looked at a Platinum 3776 Century? About the same section diameter as my TWSBI Vac 700R and a half inch shorter but about half the weight.

The Lamy LX is a well behaved pen, same size but perhaps a tad lighter than a Safari. I find it better to write with.

I would class my standard Pilot VP as smallish grip but bigger than the LX and heavier than the LX or 3776 but lighter than my Vac 700R.

If you find a narrow section hard to grip consider looking at one of the Ranga ebonite pens. I have just received a Majestic which is a huge pen but very light for its size and a section that makes me think of a "good grip" fountain pen. You might find one of their smaller models appropriate.

Good hunting!

I have tried some Jinhaos and Heros - metal body pens don't seem to agree with my arthritis at all (too heavy after a while). I had considered the 3776; I'm not the fondest of the style of it really I guess? Although I adore my Platinum Preppys! Thanks for the idea of the TWSBI Vac 700R; now there's another to add to the list, lol.

I avoid ebonite due to a latex allergy. sadly. The Rangas are gorgeous!

Do you live in an area with a good writing store or pen show coming up? Trying to make the decision to spend $100-200 on a next level pen is tough without seeing and trying them in person, especially if you have arthritis.

For what it's worth, you picked good options: if you like the tapered, smooth section and light weight of the Eco I'd definitely consider the Edison Pearlette, Pelikan M200/120 or maybe a Pilot Custom 91 or 92 imported from Japan. All are light and close to the same section width and weight as an Eco and quality pens. The Edison and Pelikan have swappable nibs too, and Edison's customer service is fantastic.

Edit to add: I'd definitely try to see/write with a Vanishing Pt/Decimo before buying: when I tried one it felt a bit heavy and depending on your grip, the clip can be an issue. Great piece of engineering but not for everyone.

Good luck!

I live in the back of beyond with nothing for about a five hour drive in any direction. No upcoming pen shows (the nearest one I've ever heard of was a four hour drive away).

Thank you for the warning about the VP! I'll cross it off the list then, and it becomes between the Edison and one of the Pelicans I suppose. My problem is that I want them ALL!! LOL

This approach may help.

For example:

Eco

Section Width 9.1mm

Overall Weight 21 grams

Pelikan M200

Section Width 9.3 mm

Overall Weight 14 grams

Pelikan M120

Section Width 9.1 mm

Overall Weight 14 grams

All the best!

Ah, thank you! I haven't looked at the new site yet; I'll have to go have a look at the Pen Plaze or whatever they're calling it now. Those Pelikans are looking very good from that though! (although the Pearlette is beautiful and I can get a stub.....sigh. Why can't one of them be a rotten pen someone could warn me against? :D It would simplify matters, lol )

edit for clarity

Edited by raggs

If the arthritis (and your small hands) is steering you towards something like the M200, you might want to consider the M150, it's slightly smaller (about 3/8" shorter) and a bit slimmer than the M200. My hands are also not large and I find it the perfect size for me. New ones can be found on ebay starting around $105.

Of course, there's the even more diminutive M300 but you're unlikely to find one, even used, for under $200.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

It’s not a next level pen by a long shot, but you can easily swap a Plumix nib onto a Pilot Kakuno. Light as a feather, can take a CON-70, and a very nice italic nib. It’s crisper than the Jowo nib on the eco, but not in a bad way. I haven’t got the faintest idea if there’s a fancy Pilot that’s a good analogue of this combo. I believe the music nib is what you want if you like italic/stub nibs.

You can definitely look to see if vintage m200s with stubs can be found on eBay for your budget. I don’t think I’d recommend a modern one unless you get on well with the very rounded nib tipping that Pelikan uses these days. I don’t. But tastes vary. Pelikan seems to pay very close attention to pen weight, so you may find the m600 or even larger works.

As far as the small vs large hands thing... the Eco is fairly large as pens go. Not the biggest, but definitely not teeny. It’s also relatively light for how big it is. Not the lightest, but very few pens that large are lighter. So I’d say you care more about weight for preventing pain than how small the pen is. The Metropolitan is quite heavy for the size. Add in the sharp edges and a very thin grip section and it’s not surprising that you’re uncomfortable. And the grip on the Safari is very love it or hate it, so even though the weight is good for you chances are the grip hurts.

Also not a next level pen but it might be useful... the Kaweco Sport is very light, and is up there with the eco, 580 and Kakuno on my favorite pens list. The nibs are wildly inconsistent, so splurging and buying from a shop that tests pens before selling them might be worth it. It might be too thin, but it definitely won’t be too heavy.

Light and relatively fat with a round grip area is not a super common combination. There’s definitely other posters who lean that way, so it might be good to do some searches to see if you can find people who have had a similar path to yours.

Thank you! I'll keep an eye out - adds another possibility to the list! LOL

It’s not a next level pen by a long shot, but you can easily swap a Plumix nib onto a Pilot Kakuno. Light as a feather, can take a CON-70, and a very nice italic nib. It’s crisper than the Jowo nib on the eco, but not in a bad way. I haven’t got the faintest idea if there’s a fancy Pilot that’s a good analogue of this combo. I believe the music nib is what you want if you like italic/stub nibs.

You can definitely look to see if vintage m200s with stubs can be found on eBay for your budget. I don’t think I’d recommend a modern one unless you get on well with the very rounded nib tipping that Pelikan uses these days. I don’t. But tastes vary. Pelikan seems to pay very close attention to pen weight, so you may find the m600 or even larger works.

As far as the small vs large hands thing... the Eco is fairly large as pens go. Not the biggest, but definitely not teeny. It’s also relatively light for how big it is. Not the lightest, but very few pens that large are lighter. So I’d say you care more about weight for preventing pain than how small the pen is. The Metropolitan is quite heavy for the size. Add in the sharp edges and a very thin grip section and it’s not surprising that you’re uncomfortable. And the grip on the Safari is very love it or hate it, so even though the weight is good for you chances are the grip hurts.

Also not a next level pen but it might be useful... the Kaweco Sport is very light, and is up there with the eco, 580 and Kakuno on my favorite pens list. The nibs are wildly inconsistent, so splurging and buying from a shop that tests pens before selling them might be worth it. It might be too thin, but it definitely won’t be too heavy.

Light and relatively fat with a round grip area is not a super common combination. There’s definitely other posters who lean that way, so it might be good to do some searches to see if you can find people who have had a similar path to yours.

Wow, thank you so much for this VERY informative reply! I actually don't care too much about it being a "next level" pen; I just want to have more than one pen that works as a daily writer, and the others are pretty, honestly! But if something else will work better for me, I'm all for it! I actually didn't know (not having much experience, obviously!) that the eco was considered a large pen! That's why I've been avoiding the 580 - i thought IT was the large one!

I'd LOVE to buy from a shop that tests nibs first! Unfortunately since Richard closed his to the internet, I've no idea where to look!

Ah, thank you! I haven't looked at the new site yet; I'll have to go have a look at the Pen Plaze or whatever they're calling it now. Those Pelikans are looking very good from that though! (although the Pearlette is beautiful and I can get a stub.....sigh. Why can't one of them be a rotten pen someone could warn me against? :D It would simplify matters, lol )

edit for clarity

FPNibs sells Pelikan pens as well as nibs and Pablo will happily grind to your requirements.

In the UK The Writing Desk will also grind a Pelikan nib.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

you won't like the Pelikan 200 if you have designs on something grander down the road.... I've helped a few people buy them for themselves and gifts....

fpn_1528397920__img_3978.jpg

fpn_1528397935__img_3979.jpg

fpn_1528397948__img_3980.jpg

fpn_1528397963__img_3981.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

I don't think you'd go wrong with a Pilot Vanishing Point or Decimo. I have several of these. They are very practical for carrying around and, especially in meetings, it is easy and discreet to retract one's nib. When in meetings with my regular fountain pens, I need to constantly pop my cap on and off of my fountain pens or the nib drys just enough to make the pen skip. With these Pilots one can also get an 18k gold nib in your price race. If you like stubs, then get the broad which is not a stub, of course, but lays down more ink.

FPNibs sells Pelikan pens as well as nibs and Pablo will happily grind to your requirements.

In the UK The Writing Desk will also grind a Pelikan nib.

Thank you! I'll check them out.

you won't like the Pelikan 200 if you have designs on something grander down the road.... I've helped a few people buy them for themselves and gifts....

No, this will probably be the most expensive pen I ever get; nothing grander down the road for me. But I'm curious at to why you say i wouldn't like it if so?

fpn_1528397920__img_3978.jpg

fpn_1528397935__img_3979.jpg

fpn_1528397948__img_3980.jpg

fpn_1528397963__img_3981.jpg

The Collier isn't as much bigger than the Pearlette as I thought then - thank you for the pictures! You have beautiful handwriting too. And yes, light weight, good section, etc. - you nailed exactly what I'm looking for!

I don't think you'd go wrong with a Pilot Vanishing Point or Decimo. I have several of these. They are very practical for carrying around and, especially in meetings, it is easy and discreet to retract one's nib. When in meetings with my regular fountain pens, I need to constantly pop my cap on and off of my fountain pens or the nib drys just enough to make the pen skip. With these Pilots one can also get an 18k gold nib in your price race. If you like stubs, then get the broad which is not a stub, of course, but lays down more ink.

Thank you. I think I"m a bit leery of this because some people have said it can be hard to get used to the clip. I'm not really particular about gold or steel nibs, so I'm fine either way for that. I can see the usefulness in meetings though!

Your choice of size is really important if you have arthritis, and the size of your hands is the other important factor.

People with arthritis usually need larger pens because they have more difficulty in gripping smaller objects, a larger pen will provide relief from some of the fatigue, but if your hands are small it is important to understand what is a large size FOR YOU.

The M200 is a smallish pen, so it would really be best to try one.

The Pearlette is also smallish.

The Pilot metropolitan and the Lamy safari have a smallish section (despite the Lamy being a rather large pen). The TWSBI eco might feel more comfortable because it has a larger section.

Weight is also important, too heavy will not be good as it will strain your hand again, I would avoid chinese pens (most are rather heavy).

The Edison Collier, recommended above, is a larger pen, and the section is extremely comfortable due to the hourglass shape.

The weight is quite light. You might want to try this one, it's below your budget.

Another lovely shaped pen (for utmost comfort) is the Ranga 8B (an ebonite pen that is manufactured in India and shipped free to any place round the world - there is a group buy currently active on this pen in the Pay It Forward, Loaner Programs & Group Buys forum. This pen is also relatively large but very comfortable due to shape, and quite light. The CC version costs 70-90 usd depending on the type of ebonite you choose (some very nice colours to be had).

Your choice of size is really important if you have arthritis, and the size of your hands is the other important factor.

People with arthritis usually need larger pens because they have more difficulty in gripping smaller objects, a larger pen will provide relief from some of the fatigue, but if your hands are small it is important to understand what is a large size FOR YOU.

The M200 is a smallish pen, so it would really be best to try one.

The Pearlette is also smallish.

The Pilot metropolitan and the Lamy safari have a smallish section (despite the Lamy being a rather large pen). The TWSBI eco might feel more comfortable because it has a larger section.

Weight is also important, too heavy will not be good as it will strain your hand again, I would avoid chinese pens (most are rather heavy).

The Edison Collier, recommended above, is a larger pen, and the section is extremely comfortable due to the hourglass shape.

The weight is quite light. You might want to try this one, it's below your budget.

Another lovely shaped pen (for utmost comfort) is the Ranga 8B (an ebonite pen that is manufactured in India and shipped free to any place round the world - there is a group buy currently active on this pen in the Pay It Forward, Loaner Programs & Group Buys forum. This pen is also relatively large but very comfortable due to shape, and quite light. The CC version costs 70-90 usd depending on the type of ebonite you choose (some very nice colours to be had).

Thank you very much, you've been extremely helpful! I've already learned my lesson about the Chinese pens - they're much worse than the Metropolitan, though I liked the section better. Two recommendations for the Collier - I will have to look into that one for sure now. I somehow thought it would be a very heavy pen; it's very nice to hear that it is not, as I do like it. And yes, the section looks quite comfortable.

I think I like the eco because it is light and the section is larger; both reasons make it much more comfortable for me. I'll check on Goulet pens and see relative sizes there - I thought the eco was a small pen until I was enightened in this thread!

Sadly I have a latex allergy, so I do believe that rules out ebonite for me. Otherwise I think I would have jumped in on that group order - those pens are absolutely gorgeous.

Edit: my autocorrect thinks Goulet is goblet!

Edited by raggs

You man want to email a few solid retailers like Anderson Pens or Goulet Pens, etc., and tell them what you have that you like, why you like it, your budget, and see what they suggest.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

You man want to email a few solid retailers like Anderson Pens or Goulet Pens, etc., and tell them what you have that you like, why you like it, your budget, and see what they suggest.

Thank you! I did message Goulet, and they suggested the Pearlette, which is how it got on my radar in the first place (I was looking at pilot custom 74's, which I was informed are quite large pens)..

Glad I could help! I love my 580, and its what sold me on the eco. Two of them actually. Ive got a pair of matching xf nibs and I recently added the 1.1mm italic. The one thing that makes the 580 worth it over the eco is how much easier it is to use with ink samples. If thats not a major concern Id say just get a second eco.

I hope I got this in the right place; still quite a newbie to this forum!

I am looking for a "next level" fountain pen - which to me means under $200. This may well be the only pen of this cost I am ever able to get, so I'm having lots of trouble making up my mind!

So far I have a Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Safari, and TWSBI eco. Out of these, i prefer the eco by far to the other two. I have severe arthritis in my hands and writing for a long time with either of the other two makes my hand cramp up (the whole reason I came back to fountain pens to begin with - it was getting quite painful to write even with gel pens with the rubber grips).

So, I originally was looking at a Pilot Custom 74, but a CSR at Goblet informed me that it wasn't a good choice for someone with small hands. (Did I mention that I have teeny, tiny hands? To the point where I have to buy my gloves from the children's section). She suggested the Edison Pearlette. I was also considering the Pilot Decimo. Researching the Pearlette led to lots of reviews comparing it to the Pelican M200. Researching the M200 led me to the M120 (and I LOVE blue, and stubs - so it made the list!).

At this point I'm swearing off researching any more lest I end up with a list of 50 pens to choose from, and thought I'd ask for help instead!

So - quite small hands, fairly severe arthritis. I'm looking for a daily writer pen (and I write a fair amount). The pens in question are the VP Decimo, the Edison Pearlette, the Pelikan M200 or the Pelican M120. My preferred pen at the moment is a 1.1 stub TWSBI eco. Edited to add: the two things I like about the TWSBI are the smoothness of the nib and the grip section is just about perfect and doesn't hurt!)

Help?

Hi Raggs can I at 88 years old suggest a Pilot Elite which is one of the smallest F Pens you will get they have a great Nib are very light and write fabulously on average I would say that you should get one for around $130,00 I collect them but don't want to part with them they are SO good ,Trust Me, Oneill