Leaking Lamy

Eitan

Hello

My Safari keeps leaking around the area where the cartridge enters the pen, and I cannot figure out why. I have cleaned and refilled it so many times and it keeps leaking - going down through the window and all over my hands and inside the body.

Any tips or experience with this?

I must be doing something wrong....def a silly mistake the Lamy experts here can identify in a heart-beat.

Thanks in advance!

-E

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flippy

• Eitan

• Astronymus

• alexwi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, let's have a look at this.

You have cleaned and refilled... Did you refill the cartridge?

Or did you use a converter?

And, just to make sure: You are using a LAMY cartridge or converter? (so not another brand?)

And then: Is this a new pen and has it been leaking like this from day one, or did it work properly and started to leak all of a sudden?

Now supposing you are using a a proper (new) converter in a new pen: Are you sure it is seated properly? New converters can be really tight.

Normally a Lamy pen will push it's cartridge hiome by screwing the barrel shut, but that does not work with a converter so you have to push properly.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Your Safari should use a Lamy Z24 or Z28 converter: the red ones that have nubs on the side. If you have a Z27 converter, black with no nubs, you're using the wrong one.

Can you post pictures how you load the Safari, with cartridge or converter and an inside view of the grip section, without being loaded?

And, are you certain the Safari is genuine and not some knock-off?

Pics here...thank you!!

Can you post pictures how you load the Safari, with cartridge or converter and an inside view of the grip section, without being loaded?

post-143124-0-95872500-1528426652_thumb.jpeg

post-143124-0-08072700-1528426671_thumb.jpeg

post-143124-0-83339700-1528426686_thumb.jpeg

post-143124-0-57855500-1528426701_thumb.jpeg

Inside of grip...not sure this one is helpful...

post-143124-0-30540700-1528427036_thumb.jpeg

What are those radial struts? Never seen that. No wonder you don't get a seal. And there is a strange gap between handle and reservoir on the converter. I'm not sure this pen and converter are genuine. Where did you get it, was the converter included? (It shouldn't.)

You seem to have the right converter.

When you insert the converter in the section, the 2 nubs on the side of the converter go into the 2 thin slots on the sides of the section, and they must go in all the way. If they don't, then there's something inside the section that's preventing this from happening.

If it's a fake pen, like Astron's suggesting, then, more than likely, this pen will take an International type converter or cartridge.

alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

The inside should be smooth. No struts or anything. This pen is a fake.
Edited by Astron

FWIW, here's the inside of the section of an Al-Star, just so you can see the difference:

http://www.paradoxcommunity.com/vps/AlStarSection.jpg

Edited by LizEF

Wowzerinos.

I had really checked this pen thoroughly against all of the other signs of counterfeitage on so many websites...but I think we have found another telltale. Hard to find, not noticeable unless under certain circumstances, and quite hidden from view,

...and the #LamyFake struggle continues!

I have a Safari (blue) I bought from an Amazon retailer that I thought was genuine, but it has the little radial struts in the section just like PearlJamFan. Checking my other Safaris (all purchased from authentic Lamy dealers), none have the struts.

I have to say my blue Safari is a very well-executed counterfeit. (I havent had problems with cartridges or with genuine Lamy converters in this pen).

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Hi,

I just checked five Safaris (2 charcoal and 3 special edition orange), and they're all smooth in there. The orange ones were purchased directly from Lamy (I had a stationery store in a previous life) and the others at stationery stores.

alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

Yup. Pretty startling. I am sending them back.

I have a Safari (blue) I bought from an Amazon retailer that I thought was genuine, but it has the little radial struts in the section just like PearlJamFan. Checking my other Safaris (all purchased from authentic Lamy dealers), none have the struts.

I have to say my blue Safari is a very well-executed counterfeit. (I havent had problems with cartridges or with genuine Lamy converters in this pen).

FWIW, here's the inside of the section of an Al-Star, just so you can see the difference:

http://www.paradoxcommunity.com/vps/AlStarSection.jpg

Amazing picture!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

What are those radial struts? Never seen that. No wonder you don't get a seal. And there is a strange gap between handle and reservoir on the converter. I'm not sure this pen and converter are genuine. Where did you get it, was the converter included? (It shouldn't.)

I have those same radial struts, but I don't have any leakage. The pen is in excellent condition as had no problems, unlike other counterfeits. If it has struts, then is my pen 100% fake? I swear that I have had no issues with it and I did examine the pen very carefully. The nib engraving is excellent, the pen weighs the same as a regular Safari and the ink window aligned every time.

Josh

3 of the other Lamys that I bought off reputable websites have the struts, which is very confusing.

What is going on? Are we sure that this is telltale or new feature Lamy added? I'm not having any problems with leaking due to the struts.

Josh

Edited by FlippyThePen

I am going to fwd this question to Goulet...

3 of the other Lamys that I bought off reputable websites have the struts, which is very confusing.

What is going on? Are we sure that this is telltale or new feature Lamy added? I'm not having any problems with leaking due to the struts.

Josh