Pelikan Hubs 2018 !

Cyber6

Honestly people... while risking getting booo'ed out of here, I will say that I have organized/managed/coordinated the Toronto Pen & PInts for years. Not even ONCE I gave away any gifts.. and SURPRISINGLY, every month we all meet and enjoy each others' company and get to talk and play with pens and inks. (plus food and booze).. What can be better??

Pelikan should STOP sending gifts (maybe something for the hubmaster) and let people just enjoy each others company. /rant

C.

I agree. It's lovely to get gifts but the opportunity to 'talk pens' (with old, familiar faces and new people, too) and see some Pelikan writing instruments I'd only seen in books or in online photos is priceless to me :)

(and as an aside, I've been Hubmaster here for 2016, 2017 and now 2018 and I've had some situations vis-a-vis the freebies that still have me scratching my head (e.g. one person showed up at the very end---there were only 4 or 5 of us around at that point---expecting her free ink because she was a registrant who "attended" the Hub :huh:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• inkstainedruth

• webgeckos

• johntdavis

See if you can add some spinach to your potato salad... to turn all potatoes GREEN !!

You can call it.. Potatos Olivine !!

:D :D :D :D

But I don't *want* green potatoes! I have enough green in it with the celery. I usually use new red potatoes (don't have to peel them) but this time what I found at the local Sam's Club yesterday was a mix of red and yellow ones in the same bag.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Honestly people... while risking getting booo'ed out of here, I will say that I have organized/managed/coordinated the Toronto Pen & PInts for years. Not even ONCE I gave away any gifts.. and SURPRISINGLY, every month we all meet and enjoy each others' company and get to talk and play with pens and inks. (plus food and booze).. What can be better??

Pelikan should STOP sending gifts (maybe something for the hubmaster) and let people just enjoy each others company. /rant

C.

I like the free ink, but I agree. The poor organiser of the London (UK) hub had ~20 people turn up, collect the gifts, then leave again. Fortunately there was still about 25-30 of us who stayed. Unfortunately he dropped most the loot off at the hotel we met at the day before (due to the number of boxes) and they managed to lose the flag.

Had a blast at the Hub yesterday, tried pens I could not afford (yet) and the Edelstein inks were everywhere.

Got myself a sample of Tanzanite and Sapphire although wanted so much more

Just got home a little while ago from the Pittsburgh Hub. Not as many people as last year, I don't think -- but some new faces, and we did have a guy come all the way from State College, in the center of PA (it's about a four hour drive). Got to see and try some really pretty pens, and learned that maybe an M800 isn't as heavy as I thought (although it's still really a bit too big a pen for me, not to mention probably being too expensive :(). I guess Pelikan was anticipating my wish for another one of their notepads, because that and a bottle of Olivine were swag. Plus, the Hubmaster was giving away the bottles of Edelstein he had for people to test, and I was able to snag the bottle of Tanzanite. Olivine looks quite nice coming out of the 50s era 400 with the OB nib, BTW....

I felt really dumb though -- I thought I'd brought all my flock with me, only to discover that I'd left the M405 Striated Blue and the 1980s era M100 with the 1 mm nib at home. :wallbash:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I did not know what a Pelikan Hub was until a few days ago but if I can see some pens like Pelikan M400 M600 M605 M800 or even an M1000 I would be 100% fountain pen geeked out. Last night my first and only fountain pen fell... More like rolled off the table, nib bent and in a panic I knocked over Walnut ink Noodler's... Lets just say. My hands are stained brown and I could really use a pick me up.

Thanks in advance!

Yikes! Hopefully they can a-fix the nib, b-say your hands were in Florida getting a tan, and c-that you got the pick me up!

The Pelikan swag ended up lost in the Amazon jungle, a warehouse in or near Wrocław. But the meeting was VERY enjoyable! There were maybe a dozen to 20 of us, and, luckily for me, most spoke English. (I continue to torture the Polish language, bruising the grammar, twisting the pronunciation, and so conversations usually revert to English, or Polish with an interpreter.)

It was great fun. Artur, our Hub Master, realizing the lack of swag, bought a bottle of the Olivine ink so that we could all fill our pens and try it. (I like it!) That was very thoughtful -- and much appreciated.

Artur also brought samples of his excellent calligraphy paper, Archie's Calligraphy. I'm not a calligrapher, so the guide markings aren't useful for me, but the paper is very nice!

Pelikan Hub reminded me how much fun pen-people meetings are. Pen Posse spoiled me in the SF Bay Area. I just... have to improve my Polish, cholera! --So, thanks to Pelikan for providing the impetus to meet!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

The meetup was so much fun! This was the first time I went and chatted about pens in person, so that was a real treat. Only ever chatted with fp folks online. The hubmaster did a nice job of setting everything up. We had lots of raffle prizes and good eats, and everyone was really friendly. Lots of lovely pens, lots of ink talk (my favorite part). The swag was awesome and I'm really happy I got it. I'm a sucker for green ink.

Edited by tropicalwitch

Ah yes, the Olivine.

It looks so reminiscent of the Diamine Sherwood Green no?

I wouldn't know about that. But it did remind me of something I *do* have (maybe KWZI IG Green #3?). I'll have to check my "review notebooks". In the 1950s era 400 with the OB nib, it's got some nice shading. Not quite my favorite green (I like ones that lean a tad yellow, like Robert Oster Moss) but still nice. And way better, IMO, than Aquamarine (the LE from 2 years ago)....

The Knoxville, TN, Pelikan Hub was well-attended (20 or so) and ably led by Hubmaster Rob Fraker. The group shared inks and talked and shared one another's pens while enjoying good food and service at K-Town Tavern in a private room. Overall a great experience and I commend Pelikan for sponsoring these events. I know I would never have met some of the folks had it not been for the Hub.

Ah yes, the Olivine.

It looks so reminiscent of the Diamine Sherwood Green no?

For my eyes, it is quite a bit more 'olive'. SG has more green to it. However, it's made me think about swatching it alongside some other notables... including MB Racing Green.

So I went and swabbed it (can't do a photo right now). The Pel ink is darker and more grey/green, Sherwood Green is definitely brighter with more blue. However, when just using a broad, wet nib to right with, the Pelikan ink looks darker and more olive than when I make a swatch of it. Inks are weird. I also swabbed Montblanc Racing Green and Stipula Musk Green... yep, all different. My hoarding of inks is scientifically allowable.

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

The Dallas Hub was very enjoyable, in spite of horrible weather, thanks to the efforts of Hubmistresses Cynthia Powers and Kat Thomas. Pen Chalet sent more than enough stuff for everyone to get a door prize. It's becoming more and more difficult to find a venue that can accommodate the group (60 registrants this year). We met in the Community Center of a local college, instead of at a restaurant as in years past.

Instead of the swag, which actually costs Pelikan very little, I would like to see the company subsidize the cost of a meeting room where food and drink service is available. Some reasonable compensation for the efforts of the Hubmasters would be welcome as well.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I wouldn't know about that. But it did remind me of something I *do* have (maybe KWZI IG Green #3?). I'll have to check my "review notebooks". In the 1950s era 400 with the OB nib, it's got some nice shading. Not quite my favorite green (I like ones that lean a tad yellow, like Robert Oster Moss) but still nice. And way better, IMO, than Aquamarine (the LE from 2 years ago)....

For my eyes, it is quite a bit more 'olive'. SG has more green to it. However, it's made me think about swatching it alongside some other notables... including MB Racing Green.

So I went and swabbed it (can't do a photo right now). The Pel ink is darker and more grey/green, Sherwood Green is definitely brighter with more blue. However, when just using a broad, wet nib to right with, the Pelikan ink looks darker and more olive than when I make a swatch of it. Inks are weird. I also swabbed Montblanc Racing Green and Stipula Musk Green... yep, all different. My hoarding of inks is scientifically allowable.

After looking at my previous SG swab and writing beside it, the Olivine is more darker and does not pops out as SG does.

Just got home a little while ago from the Pittsburgh Hub. Not as many people as last year, I don't think -- but some new faces, and we did have a guy come all the way from State College, in the center of PA (it's about a four hour drive). Got to see and try some really pretty pens, and learned that maybe an M800 isn't as heavy as I thought (although it's still really a bit too big a pen for me, not to mention probably being too expensive :(). I guess Pelikan was anticipating my wish for another one of their notepads, because that and a bottle of Olivine were swag. Plus, the Hubmaster was giving away the bottles of Edelstein he had for people to test, and I was able to snag the bottle of Tanzanite. Olivine looks quite nice coming out of the 50s era 400 with the OB nib, BTW....

I felt really dumb though -- I thought I'd brought all my flock with me, only to discover that I'd left the M405 Striated Blue and the 1980s era M100 with the 1 mm nib at home. :wallbash:

Does this mean you finally found your cafe creme? ;) I hope so!

The Dallas Hub was very enjoyable, in spite of horrible weather, thanks to the efforts of Hubmistresses Cynthia Powers and Kat Thomas. Pen Chalet sent more than enough stuff for everyone to get a door prize. It's becoming more and more difficult to find a venue that can accommodate the group (60 registrants this year). We met in the Community Center of a local college, instead of at a restaurant as in years past.

Instead of the swag, which actually costs Pelikan very little, I would like to see the company subsidize the cost of a meeting room where food and drink service is available. Some reasonable compensation for the efforts of the Hubmasters would be welcome as well.

Dallas was awesome this year. It was great to see you and everyone else, and Cynthia and Kat did a magnificent (and exhausting) job keeping everything together in spite of the monsoon.

Pen Chalet definitely spoiled us with door prize loot.

I agree it would be wonderful for Pelikan to assist with more of the logistical side of things. I have no idea how they would implement that on a worldwide scale, though. Bare minimum they need to impress upon their national-level distributors that the swag needs to be mailed out much earlier. I don't care whether or not I get anything, but if there's swag, it's the hubmaster's responsibility to collect it and deliver it to the Hub, and packages arriving the day of the hub is a logistical nightmare, especially given how spread out some of us are. The current system makes things way too hard for the Hubmasters.

Thanks again for making sure I didn't drown on the way to the car. :)

Edited by johntdavis

Does this mean you finally found your cafe creme? ;) I hope so!

No, sadly -- didn't have time to look. :(

If Pelikan wanted to kill off the Hubs, they could hardly come up with a better strategy than waiting until the very last minute to send the materials. It's starting to remind me of all the people who write to Miss Manners wanting to know the proper way to give a party while getting your guests to pay for it.

FWIW, it sounds more to me like it was their local distributors (Chartpak et al.) who screwed things up, not Pelikan.

That said, I'm not sure who's responsible for the whole "Smoky Quartz in Olivine boxes" issue...

I don't totally disagree with you but remember that Pelikan is a company: while the Hubs are fun for us, they're also used by Pelikan for marketing purposes. (After all, what better way to keep your company top-of-mind than by giving away product to people who could become your most loyal customers?) So I suspect the swag will continue to given away for the foreseeable future...

Edited by JLS1

Agreed. After all -- no one seems to bat an eye at swag given out at pen shows. They might cry if they missed the show or the swag ran out before they got there -- but that's a different issue altogether.

The freebie bottle of Olivine this year was nice. The notepads were also really nice, especially if they turn out to be the same quality paper as the ones from a few years ago -- I kept trying to figure our where Pelikan had gotten them through so I could order MORE!

The Washington DC Hub was fantastic this year, thanks to the hubmistress Debbie Anderson!

It was so much fun hanging out for a couple of hours and trying new inks!

Scientia potentia est.