Which Type Of Oblique Would A Right Handed Writer Use?

JohnEbach

I am thinking of changing a nib on one of my pens. It uses a #6. I have tried the cursive italics with a medium point. I would also like to try one with an oblique point cursive italics. I don't know whether to order the right or left oblique version. Any thoughts from anyone

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• JohnEbach

• pajaro

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

left foot (the slant looks like your left foot).....so you cant the nib to the left........

If there is a 15 degree grind, align your clip so it is in the middle of between the slit and right shoulder of the nib.

If 30 degree grind align the clip at the right hand edge of the nib.

Do your gripping in the air. Place on the paper and write.

If you pen is too large to post, do it a couple of times to see the angle needed. Then fake it.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What BoBo says applies if you are right handed.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Sorry, I didn't go into my normal rant.............'30-70 vintage German obliques in semi-flex are worth having, due to the semi-flex.

I find obliques in nail, or even regular flex not worth wasting any money on, there is little to no line variation, compared to the real thing.....German semi-flex obliques.

I have some 16 vintage German obliques in a mix of semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex. Most are 15 degree grinds. I have a OBBB factory 30 degree grind on a Pelikan 500 signature pen. Takes 2/3rds to 3/4ths a page for a legal signature.

Out side of that pen, having read no information at all about the 30degree grind but my own suppositions, wonder if the 30 degree grinds i lucked into, OBB, OB, OM and OF were not done at the fabled German Corner Pen Shoppe. Where a trained salesman, would ask......do you want a bit more oblique pattern? And go into the back room and add more.

Non-semi-flex Obliques are good for left handers, or right handers with left eye dominance, *** who cant the nib to see the top of it.............IMO.

The line variation of nail...had a OB and OM, regular flex...trans-mailed regular flex oblique Pelikan 200's nibs to England, and even bought a tad springier W.Germany regular flex 200 OM........nope.

The real thing is vintage 30's-70 German semi-flex obliques.

Anything else is a Waste of Money!!!!!

***My wife is extremely left eyed dominate. She has to crawl all over a rifle to get the wrong eye aimed. Similar with a pistol.....and really cant's the hell out of a fountain pen.

So read up on how to check if you are left eye dominate.

If so then modern oblique would do ok.........................but if so, why not the real thing? And have more fun?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Non-semi-flex Obliques are good for left handers, or right handers with left eye dominance, *** who cant the nib to see the top of it.............IMO.

Thanks. I often wondered why people would rotate the pen. I sometimes do it myself, and then I rotate the paper nullifying it or exaggerating it, I don't know which. Probably either way.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.