Does A ‘New’ Pfm Need Serviced Just On Principal?

Tseg

The hole is a vent hole, located above the 0-ring in the barrel.

The touchdown tube has a notch in the end that serves two purposes. One is to release the air that is compressed when the TD tube as it passes past the 0-ring as the tube is near the end of its travel. The release of pressure allows the sac to spring back to shape and ink to flow into the pen. This notch also serves as a vent to equalize the pressure inside and outside of the barrel, and the hole allows air in when the blind cap is screwed down, much like the vent hole in the end of a 51 aerometric barrel.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tseg

• 3rdlakerobert

• JonSzanto

• corgicoupe

So this hole is in all PFM's? I tried online research and could find no reference to them.

Not just PFM’s, but all snorkel fillers.

So this hole is in all PFM's? I tried online research and could find no reference to them.

In all PFMs and Snorkels, in fact all Touchdown-equipped pens (Tip Dips and Imperials). The hole permits release of the pressure in the barrel that's created when the plunger is depressed. In turn the sac can expand and fill with ink if the nib/feed unit or Snorkel tube is immersed in ink.

You can find all this and much more if you google "Sheaffer Touchdown."

I've decided to not take any chances and just send any Snorkel I buy off to Danny Fudge for restoration, especially since I mostly acquire NOS or more uncommon models. $20 and the work is excellent. It's not a high price to pay for peace of mind.

I've restored a few "lesser" Snorkels myself, but I really did not feel comfortable restoring most of my collection.

Edited by tragique

Wow! Only 7 day turn around from my mailing my pen priority mail to my receiving back priority mail from Danny Fudge. The pen seems the same, but the breather hole has moved around to be better aligned with the nib. Based on my web search as best as I can tell is a pen's sac and seals should be changed out every 10 years whether needed or not, but may couls theoretically go closer to 20 years and there are some examples of a pen going 40 years without a new sac. I guess I now have peace of mind for the next decade. This pen really is an amazing writer... and 60 years old.

Wow! Only 7 day turn around from my mailing my pen priority mail to my receiving back priority mail from Danny Fudge. The pen seems the same, but the breather hole has moved around to be better aligned with the nib. Based on my web search as best as I can tell is a pen's sac and seals should be changed out every 10 years whether needed or not, but may couls theoretically go closer to 20 years and there are some examples of a pen going 40 years without a new sac. I guess I now have peace of mind for the next decade. This pen really is an amazing writer... and 60 years old.

That's great! He's a wonderful resource and you'll search high and low for a better pen to write with. Have fun!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

The life of a sac is a bell curve.

The average may be 10 years, but some will fail sooner, some will last longer.

Sometimes the ink or cleaner that is used could cause the sac to fail sooner.

When I get a pen, that I plan to use, I will clean, resac and reseal the pen.

This is because I have no idea when it was done prior. And an old sac that "seems" to work could fail tomorrow, next week, next month or next year.

And when it fails, it will be MESSY.

So better safe than sorry.

With Snorkels and Touchdowns, the other issue is a leaking ink sac could start rust/corrosion inside the pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I've heard the PFM characterized as the pinicle of the fountain pen era... ball points were taking over so Sheaffer upped their game with this fountain pen in an attempt to reclaim the market. I find the pen ergonomically very comfortable, overall attractive, like that the nib can stay clean when the ink is filled and the nib writing capability is exceptional... but a pen whose fill system may or may not last a decade and a lack of an ink window seem a handicap relative to the pen universe, even from the 1960's. I will enjoy it much (as long as the sac does not give out on me) but likely will be relegated to my growing list of outstanding, but not quite perfect pens. Of course my Perfect Pen List appears to be written with disappearing ink.

I will enjoy it much (as long as the sac does not give out on me) but likely will be relegated to my growing list of outstanding, but not quite perfect pens.

You can do your bit with regard to the longevity of the sac, be selective with ink and avoid the more saturated ones.

You can do your bit with regard to the longevity of the sac, be selective with ink and avoid the more saturated ones.

So far I’ve stuck with Waterman Mysterious Blue. I would love to put in Akkerman Shocking Blue but I think that is the kind of saturated ink that could lead to problems.

I bought PFM III and decided to have Danny Fudge restore it just to be sure. $20 pus shipping.

TheWritePen.com you'll feel more confident using it.

Just a heads up, Danny Fudge's site is TheWritePen.net not .com! I found this out the hard way 😄

"The pen seems the same, but the breather hole has moved around to be better aligned with the nib".

I'm curious as to how that is possible as, obviously, the breather in the barrel cannot be moved (certainly not on any of the four FMs I've got) and neither can the nib be moved. Perhaps Danny recut the section threads between the section and the barrel!

• 3 weeks later...

...but a pen whose fill system may or may not last a decade and a lack of an ink window seem a handicap relative to the pen universe, even from the 1960's.

Do you expect a car to need zero maintenance after 10 years of service? Nothing even says that the pen, properly cared for, won't run far longer. It seems capricious to look away from a pen that is so perfectly suited to a good, long writing experience for only these small quibbles. Of course, this is all individual, but having used Snorkels and PFMs for many years, I think you are missing out if you only pay attention to what you read instead of what you experience.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• 1 year later...

Well... bummer. Less than 2 years from my PFM being serviced and I've not tried to fill it for about 6 months and now my pen will hold no ink. I push in the plunger and it blows bubbles, but will not pull up ink.

Back to Danny.

Edited by Tseg