The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Salz Brothers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 aunt rebecca

aunt rebecca

elaine's aunt

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 19:14

hi,

i would like to find out more information about the salz brothers who manufactured the peter pan pens and others. what happened to the brothers? when did they stop making pens? thanks

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

Sponsored Content

#2 Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed

Collector of Eclectic Knowledge

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 20:41

Just what I need, another research project doh.gif

I just searched Lion and Pen, with nothing really fruitful as to who they were. As to what happened to them, I am not sure in the long run, but they did go on to make the 2nd-3rd tier Stratford pens, and seem to have sold a lot of them - eg. Stratford search on ebay.

Don't worry though - if a Salz collector doesn't pop in here somewhere with the full scoop, AZ or I will come up with something in a couple of days. wink.gif

John
So if you have a lot of ink,
You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

#3 BillTheEditor

BillTheEditor

“Qui m'aime aime mon chien.” Pretty much says it all.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 20:48

Apparently one of the brothers was named Ignatz, and he had some excitement in his life in 1927. http://select.nytime...78AD85F438285F9

The other brother is probably named in this article, but it's up to you to pay the NYT for the privilege of reading it: http://select.nytime...4D9405B878EF1D3

Edited by BillTheEditor, 11 June 2007 - 20:52.

#4 rhr

rhr

pensmith

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 21:03

Jacob, James, and Ignatz. Their last design patent was in 1946, so the company may have lasted into the 1950s.

George Kovalenko.

ninja.gif

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

#5 aunt rebecca

aunt rebecca

elaine's aunt

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 21:03

hi,

not to worry, i all ready pay for time select. it is a wonderful service. i never thought to search the archives! thanks rolleyes.gif

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

#6 BillTheEditor

BillTheEditor

“Qui m'aime aime mon chien.” Pretty much says it all.

• Member - Gold

• 2,547 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 21:12

QUOTE(aunt rebecca @ Jun 11 2007, 04:03 PM) View Post
hi,

not to worry, i all ready pay for time select. it is a wonderful service. i never thought to search the archives! thanks rolleyes.gif

Isn't it amazing how fast you can get answers when you call on the crack(ed) research team at FPN! wacko.gif

#7 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2007 - 21:20

Aunt Rebecca,

If you are doing research on them, I hope this might help. Here is a Manhattan Pen with their logo on the cap - another pen company they were in some way related to. Someone can probably chime in with more information. Let us know what interesting information you find on them.

The Manhattan is the pen on the top. Sorry, I don't have a solo picture.

philm

#8 Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed

Collector of Eclectic Knowledge

• Member - Gold

• 3,798 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 22:50

but it's up to you to pay the NYT for the privilege of reading it:

Hint - sometimes libraries will subscribe to the NYT archive, meaning all you need to access it is a library card. ninja.gif

A good academic library sometimes has even more searchable archives, like the Federal Register back to the 30s etc.

John
So if you have a lot of ink,
You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

#9 RLTodd

RLTodd

Thor's Legions

• Member - Gold

• 3,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2007 - 22:56

I usually start with a google.
YMMV

#10 aunt rebecca

aunt rebecca

elaine's aunt

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 00:17

hi,

i started with google, but it led me to some info--bill really did it!! the salz brothers' names were ignatz and james salz. ignatz was shot in 1927, James was sure it was a robbery attempt. the police were sure he was shot by mistake. the head of the federal narcotics bureau lived in the same house as ignatz salz. interesting! biggrin.gif

#11 rhr

rhr

pensmith

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:19

Phil, I don't think "Manhattan" is the name of another pen company. Seeing as the Salz logo is on the pen, it's more likely a pen model name like the Morrison "Tourist", or the Parker "Duofold".

George Kovalenko.

ninja.gif

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

#12 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• 3,051 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:59

Interesting is that Jacob is not listed in the 1925 directory entry of the company, where Ignatz is the pres and treas and James is the vice pres and secretary. Ignatz survived the 1927 bullet and died in 1958 while James died in 1928 after a gallstones operation. Ignatz also married James wife smile.gif
Interesting family.

First patent that Google shows is an FP in 1918 assigned to Salz Brothers, while the last one is a design for a lighter in 1951 assigned to Stratford Pen Corp.
Salz Brothers and Stratford Pen Corp. are the same company. A list of patents assigned to their company or under their name can be found in this and this link.

Also who is Herman Salz of this patent?

Edited by antoniosz, 12 June 2007 - 13:16.

#13 aunt rebecca

aunt rebecca

elaine's aunt

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 15:12

hi,

in a subsequent article in the new york times about the 1927 shooting of ignatz salz, the motive for the shooting is reported as a revenge shooting by a disgruntled man, either the husband or the boy friend of the 2 women he was entertaining at that time. interesting....

#14 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• 4,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2007 - 15:37

QUOTE(rhr @ Jun 11 2007, 05:03 PM) View Post
Their last design patent was in 1946, so the company may have lasted into the 1950s.

I'd guess that it did -- judging by its styling, I don't think the Stratford Magnetic is likely to have appeared in the 1940s.

Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

#15 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2007 - 16:02

QUOTE(rhr @ Jun 11 2007, 10:19 PM) View Post
Phil, I don't think "Manhattan" is the name of another pen company. Seeing as the Salz logo is on the pen, it's more likely a pen model name like the Morrison "Tourist", or the Parker "Duofold".

George Kovalenko.

ninja.gif

I stand corrected. As I stated, I was uncertain as to the relationship. Thanks for correcting me and I hope this helps Aunt Rebecca.

#16 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• 2,594 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 21:29

QUOTE(Richard @ Jun 12 2007, 11:37 AM) View Post
QUOTE(rhr @ Jun 11 2007, 05:03 PM) View Post
Their last design patent was in 1946, so the company may have lasted into the 1950s.

I'd guess that it did -- judging by its styling, I don't think the Stratford Magnetic is likely to have appeared in the 1940s.

The Stratford Magnetic was covered by design patent 152,717, applied for Nov 1, 1947 and granted Feb 15, 1949.
In fact, Salz/Stratford was quite au courant when it came to styling. There is a whole sequence of similarly modernistic designs covered by design patents running from 1944 on.

#17 rhr

rhr

pensmith

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:06

As long as we're dealing with Stratford, the late incarnation of Salz, there is a later pen design patent, D159,978 granted on Sept 5, 1950, and also very sleek and bullet-nosed and modernistic.

George Kovalenko.

ninja.gif

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

Sponsored Content

|