Lost!? In Need Of Reassurance...

Pennenut

I am waiting to receive two pens in the mail from the United States. USPS tracking results show: June 5, 2018

In Transit to Next Facility

The item is currently in transit to the next facility as of June 5, 2018.

June 4, 2018

June 3, 2018

June 2, 2018, 11:28 am

Departed USPS Regional Facility

LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 2, 2018, 1:28 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 1, 2018, 6:14 pm

Are these pens lost? Do I need to fret? Has any one else experienced this with pens being shipped by USPS international priority mail?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thx1138

• praxim

• Bo Bo Olson

• Pennenut

Wait a little longer -- sometimes they miss scanning things, and then the package suddenly "teleports" (going by the tracking record) to a new location.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

In our experience, shipping to Canada usually takes at least a week even if shipped Priority International. It will be slower if sent first class. I wouldn't fret until it has hit the 2 week mark.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Yes, not that unusual for it to disappear from tracking and then show up in your box. As it turns out, with USPS, you can request that they investigate where the package has disappeared to (even though you're not the shipper), so maybe tomorrow or Thursday, give them a call if it hasn't shown up.

ETA: I'm blind. Yeah, give it longer to make it to Canada. 2 Governments aren't better than one. ;)

Edited by LizEF

You requested reassurance. Here is your six step plan:

• ​Move to Australia.
  • Buy anything from the rest of the world.
  • Go back to Canada, content with your lot. :)
Comments above about things disappearing for ages then popping up unexpectedly, are routine for postal services in my experience, especially where there is a border to be crossed.

edit:word drop

Edited by praxim

X

I recently used USPS to send a package from the US to Prague, Czech Republic. The tracking was fine as long as it was in the USPS control but as soon as it got the Prague all bets were off. It showed one attempted delivery then radio silence. I sadly concluded that the package was lost only to get a thank you email about a month later that it had just arrived. You're at the mercy of the local folks and I'd try them first.

In my very limited experience, shipping to and from Canada seems to take longer than to and from Europe. No idea why.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Yes, don't fret...quite common...You would think that shipping from the US from Canada would be quick as we are border countries, but unfortunately not.

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

I have a box of about 80 pens on the way from Georgia. Last tracking event 25th may and nothing since then. I am worried. Some of the pens are quite uncommon. However 15+ days is not uncommon for parcels from the US to Australia.

Amazon's no better................ordered on the 26th...due in on the 10th of June.........got to the Kentucky airport....been there 10 days...but there is no hurry....not due until 10th of June....so it sits in the corner. Other slow to deliver stuff waits....in one don't buy Prime, third class mail uses sails.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Amazon's no better................ordered on the 26th...due in on the 10th of June.........got to the Kentucky airport....been there 10 days...but there is no hurry....not due until 10th of June....so it sits in the corner. Other slow to deliver stuff waits....in one don't buy Prime, third class mail uses sails.

I dream about Australia post using sail power.

On land they send mail from state to state by either oxen or camel drays.

If it goes by sea then rowing galleys are used.

Australia Post is never in a hurry.

I dream about Australia post using sail power.

On land they send mail from state to state by either oxen or camel drays.

If it goes by sea then rowing galleys are used.

Australia Post is never in a hurry.

True but they are still more reliable than FedEx or DHL in Australia who tie the packages to migratory birds which they hope will pass near your city.

I received notice from ebay Global Shipping yesterday that a pen had been delivered. I look forward to receiving it.

I have a box of about 80 pens on the way from Georgia. Last tracking event 25th may and nothing since then. I am worried. Some of the pens are quite uncommon. However 15+ days is not uncommon for parcels from the US to Australia.

Not at all uncommon. However, it may now be in Austria. It has happened to me.

X

Mailed on 22-5-18, delivered to me 7-6-18 with no tracking since 25-5-18 in the US.

To amuse myself I called Austpost and made an enquiry on the tracking number - I was assured that the box had definitely not left the USA and would show up in the tracking system as soon as it hit Australia.

I then said the box was sitting on my kitchen table, despite the fact that it was at the same time definitely in the USA. It became a bit metaphysical after that.

To amuse myself I called Austpost and made an enquiry on the tracking number - I was assured that the box had definitely not left the USA and would show up in the tracking system as soon as it hit Australia.

I then said the box was sitting on my kitchen table, despite the fact that it was at the same time definitely in the USA. It became a bit metaphysical after that.

:D

I wrote a courtesy note to my ebay seller in USA advising them not to believe a word ebay had said about delivery. AusPost has not updated since they [said they] saw it in Matraville yesterday, purporting at the time to deliver it today. If that were happening then normally I would have received a notice by this time (0830).

X

In my experience shipping and receiving, Canada has been reliable. Anything international is time uncertain, but Canada / USA has always come thru.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I've noticed that when I'm waiting on a package that sometimes the USPS tracking shows it going from one location to what seems to be the SAME location. I think it's a function of switching from one department (say the intake section of the transit point) to another (such as the package going from the regional department to the local department -- i.e, to be sent out to the local post office).

I haven't had a lot of dealings with shipping stuff out of the US, and only a few transactions -- mostly on eBay -- from shipping stuff from overseas (not sure if I've ever actually ordered anything from Canada). One time, ordering from Missing Pens, the package made it stateside from Germany in a couple of days, sat in US Customs in the NYC area for the better part of a week, and then went on to Pittsburgh via northern New England (Maine or New Hampshire, I forget which).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

True but they are still more reliable than FedEx or DHL in Australia who tie the packages to migratory birds which they hope will pass near your city.

:) :D :lol: :lticaptd: :bunny01:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.