New Pittsburgh Pen Nut!

Spelled78

How Yinz Doing?!?!

Im not sure if Im really excited or scared to have stumbled upon this new hobby! I tend to have the type of personality that when I find a new interest it becomes all consuming. Thus far my wife hasnt walked out, and my kids are still happy to see me when I come home from work. I guess I still have some control left!

I am excited to have found FPN. If for no other reason than to funnel my pen energy into this site, rather than scrolling through eBay listings, and retailer sites, trying my best not to click on Buy Now.

Truth is Im actually so new to this that I dont really know what Im doing. I just know that I really enjoy pens with a nib, calligraphy (in Hebrew as well as English), and this new world - that in such a short time has helped me realize that I like a lot of different colors that I never knew existed.

I look forward to connecting to new people, learning as much as I can about this hobby, contributing is some meaningful way, and hopefully establishing some lasting relationships.

If youre still reading this - thank you & you are awesome! I will close with a simple request. If you are from Pittsburgh or happen to know about anything related to the hobby in this area, please share.

Thx - Shani

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• Chrissy

• mitto

• akrohn2010

The Steel City Pen Club (Pittsburgh) meets the third Wednesday of the month at 7 PM at the Panera in Bakery Square. You're more than welcome to join us!

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Welcome to FPN from North Carolina! Nothing like the dopamine rush of a new hobby. ;)

Enjoy your stay.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Confirmed: The pen club in Pittsburgh will be meeting on June 20th.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Shani, hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Greetings from another Pittsburgher (by inclination -- by birth I'm a native New Yorker). :W2FPN:

Ron beat me to the punch about SCN (I wasn't on here for most of last week trying to get an art project done for this past weekend, which sadly didn't involve using FPs).

I generally recommend that new people click on the "View New Content" button when they log in, to get a good range of a lot of different topics (you can adjust the "flow" on the sidebar on the main page). Don't do what I did when I started here -- which was to read the Parker Forum. ALL of it (six years ago it was 175 PAGES of threads -- it's bigger now...). And to have a look at the pinned Index to the Ink Reviews Forum (we make fun of Ron because he uses Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue; and when he gets wild and crazy he uses Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black...).

But you should know that we are all shameless enablers here, who will happily help you spend your discretionary funds on pens, inks, paper, repair tools, ephemera, sealing wax, pen shows, etc.

So -- what pens and inks do you have so far?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

(we make fun of Ron because he uses Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue; and when he gets wild and crazy he uses Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black...).

They're much nicer than that. They just give me a stare of bland boredom, and then politely go back to their ink samples. I do have some Sheaffer red, a bottle of Sheaffer Kings Gold and a bottle of Levenger Fireball.... somewhere.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome from Missouri! Really glad you are with us!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke