Lady Duofold De Luxe Ringtop Blue-On-Blue

sodul

I found this pen at the flea market this weekend and paid $55 for it. The filling system no longer works but I believe it just needs a new sac. While I have some experience restoring lever fillers but this is my first button filler and I'm a little bit afraid of opening this nice pen.

The pen is still in very good condition and has only a few scratches. The white paint on the branding is only partially gone. This pictures are how I got the pen and I have not tried to clean the body and cap in any way. I did dip the nib in my ultrasonic cleaner as it was covered in dried ink.

fpn_1528178500__img_3746.jpg

fpn_1528178717__img_3747.jpg

The nib is stamped "PARKER LUCKY CURVE B3X"

fpn_1528178750__img_3748.jpg

I dipped the pen in ink to test it and it has quite a nice flex to it. The dot grit has 5mm spacing.

fpn_1528178796__img_3749.jpg

From the information I gathered online this pen was probably manufactured in 1927 since that's when the rare blue-on-blue color was introduced and by 1928 or 1929 the DuoFolds were redesigned to be tapered. I don't know how to tell if the cap band is 14k solid or 'just' 12k filled but there is no trace of brassing.

At the same time I got a yellow pocket Arnold fountain pen, pencil combo for $5-$10. It is in very good condition, including a working sac and a near mint nib.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• sodul

I'm unable to pull the button or to unscrew the section. I tried needle nose pliers but there is only 1-2mm of the 'fingers' showing and I just can't get enough clearance to squeeze the bottom of the button tighter. I tried rubber grips for the section but it will not bulge at all, although I'm worried that I should remove the button and pull the bar from the back before I attempt to open the section.

I really do not want to brute force the disassembly here.

I've used the pen for a few notes today and I really like how it writes, a little too wet though but I assume a new sac would make the flow more reliable.

No. You don't have to pull the button and the bar before you open the section. The old sac has ossified and is holding tight the bar and, hence, the button does not work. Do not put any pressure on the button lest you break the jammed pressure bar or cause harm to the button.

First disassemble the section from the barrel. You need some soaking and dry heat to disassemble the section. You may need using the dry heat a number of times before being able to open the section.

After opening the section you need to clear the pen barrel from the hardened, ossified sac using something like tooth pick. After clearance of the barrel you would be able to pull the button and the bar.

Pen would now be ready for reacing. Needless to say the sac nipple also needs to be cleaned of the remains of the old sac and shallac.

Khan M. Ilyas

Forgot to say I loved that lucky curve nib on your pen. And the pen itself is beautiful. Congrats.

Khan M. Ilyas

Thanks Mitto!

After much, much effort I was able to apply pressure on the top of the button 'fingers' with some small round nose pliers and extract it without brute forcing it. The bar seems in good shape but the hardened sac is making it impossible to extract. I think the sac should pull right off once I get the section loose.

I will work on soaking the section for a few days before attempting dry heat.

I'm not worried about putting a new sac, the hard part is to take the pen apart without damaging anything. I have at least 2 other vintage pens with very stuck sections and I hope this one will cooperate.

Most probably the sac would be rock hard and sticking to the barrel walls. You need to very carefully break it into pieces with patience and clear the barrel from inside before pulling out the pressure bar.

Khan M. Ilyas

I was able to open the pen with dry heat at 120F.

fpn_1528432855__img_3751.jpg

The LuckyCurve section is definitely interesting:

fpn_1528433073__img_3753.jpg

fpn_1528433099__img_3754.jpg

Since I do not have a proper sac at hands I donated a sac form a modern, cheap, chinese pen and through the help of a long slim rod (button and bar removed) I'm able to easily refill the pen. The ink flow is a little better than with dipping alone, and it is nice to be able to write a whole page without re-dipping. I promise that the cheap sac is a temporary solution until I get myself a stock of proper sacs.

Congrats on the half success. Half, because you still have to resac the pen properly. Enjoy that beauty.

Khan M. Ilyas