Looking For A Hardcover A4Ish Sized Blank Notebook To Write An Autobiography

TestTube

https://www.gouletpens.com/leuchtturm1917-master-black-dot-grid-notebook/p/LT-327366

^Something like this but blank, fountain pen friendly, around that many pages (I looked all over their site and on eBay and couldn't find one that is blank so I'm not sure if they offer them or if I didn't give a thorough enough look)

There are so many options / different brands to choose from. I get lost in the mess and my head spins. =p

Also, I wouldn't mind dot grid if someone could somehow convince me why so many people like to use it. It just seems - I don't wanna say "messy" but I can't think of another word - to me.

Edited by TestTube

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bookman

• Studio97

• TestTube

• Runnin_Ute

Deleted

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Those are nice. I prefer their A5 size however. The dots are pretty faint. How about having one made with your paper of choice? Member GatzBcn makes a lovely notebook with Tomoe River paper. You can have it just about any way you like. She has an Etsy store. She lives in Spain, she has several ready to ship or you can contact her and commission something. I have seen her work and held it in my hands and it is gorgeous.Even had the opportunity to briefly use one.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Those are nice. I prefer their A5 size however. The dots are pretty faint. How about having one made with your paper of choice? Member GatzBcn makes a lovely notebook with Tomoe River paper. You can have it just about any way you like. She has an Etsy store. She lives in Spain, she has several ready to ship or you can contact her and commission something. I have seen her work and held it in my hands and it is gorgeous.Even had the opportunity to briefly use one.

Oh awesome. I didn't know I could get notebooks custom made for me. I should've known the internet can do anything=p. Thank you so much!

I have written numerous autobiographies, with no time or money spent other than the cost of the journals. These pristine volumes, whose pages have never been touched by ink, contain everything about me that is worth knowing. Someday, historians will marvel that a man could have lived so insignificant a life. B)

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I have written numerous autobiographies, with no time or money spent other than the cost of the journals. These pristine volumes, whose pages have never been touched by ink, contain everything about me that is worth knowing. Someday, historians will marvel that a man could have lived so insignificant a life. B)

Well, that certainly brought a smile to my face this morning.

Unlike you, I have SO MUCH to write that I can't figure out where to begin, so nothing ever gets written in my journals, with the exception of one fantastically useful journal...

My "Killer Robot Maintenance Log", from the Evil Supply Co., is used to keep track of my vehicle's mileage at maintenance events, such as oil and filter changes, new tires, tire rotation, windshield replacement (Our high desert region is well-known for its high-wind events which carry large boulders that pit our windshields.), etc.

Clifton

You can get that exact book in blank, or choose from several of their colors here:

https://www.leuchtturm1917.us/notebook-master-slim-a4-hardcover-121-numbered-pages.html

You can also get the thicker version in red or black:

https://www.leuchtturm1917.us/notebook-master-classic-a4-hardcover-233-numbered-pages.html

Personally, there's something about the blank paper from leuchtturm that I find marginally more likely to bleed than dot or lined.

Consider the A4 Watson-Guptill Sketchbook. It is well-constructed and Smyth sewn. The pages are blank and pure white and there are 176 of them. I went through two A4s for journaling, writing on the recto from front to back, flipping it over, and continuing on the recto all the way back to the start. They're hard to find; so when you see them on Amazon, put some Welly into it and buy one or two. Prices vary depending on the cover material and color. In the photos below, notice that BSB didn't bleed through, and its show-through was minimal.

fpn_1528069160__sketchbook-1.jpg

fpn_1528069559__sketchbook-2.jpg

fpn_1528069601__sketchbook-7.jpg

fpn_1528069656__sketchbook-3.jpg

fpn_1528069689__sketchbook4.jpg

fpn_1528069775__sketchbook-5.jpg

fpn_1528069814__sketchbook-6.jpg

fpn_1528069897__sketchbook-8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to be the guy that says this but almost any paper recommended here will work. There is no perfect journal that will make ideas come out of your head. If the goal is to produce an autobiography then you should focus on the book and not the paper. When you say My head is spinning from all the choices - thats exactly what you dont want - just grab whatever works and is available and start drafting. What turned me off of fountain pens for a brief period of time was that I got too tied up in the perfect pen, the perfect journal, the perfect ink - I forgot that ultimately content is most important. Artifacts can influence the creative process - but when you are worrying about Rhodia versus midori, you are being anti-creative. Just pick something, try it once, try it again if you like it, change it up next time if you dont.

And with that said, Id recommend the Franklin Chistoph Firma Flex as the best of all worlds.

Edited by cpmcnamara

• 1 month later...

My OCD causes me to throw away five sheets for every one I keep. I'm obsessed with perfect legibility before moving on to the next page. Even if I weren't, I would still toss more sheets than I kept. I wouldn't compose a book in a book. I use Costco 8.5 x 11 yellow pads or 24 lb HP Laserjet.

Edited by Bookman

Well, that certainly brought a smile to my face this morning.

Unlike you, I have SO MUCH to write that I can't figure out where to begin, so nothing ever gets written in my journals, with the exception of one fantastically useful journal...

My "Killer Robot Maintenance Log", from the Evil Supply Co., is used to keep track of my vehicle's mileage at maintenance events, such as oil and filter changes, new tires, tire rotation, windshield replacement (Our high desert region is well-known for its high-wind events which carry large boulders that pit our windshields.), etc.

Clifton

Freewrite the highpoint or most difficult times in your life and there you have your beginning. Begin anywhere....started a new job...first day...gad my shoes didnt match each other!!!!

I think an arc disc system would be good as you can add, remove, move pages into any organization as you wish. Early life, education, places lived, military, accomplishments, near disasters, epiphanies, i should be somewhere else right now, ....different sections.