Mb 24 Oblique: My First Vintage And First Oblique

Tseg

I've been on a quest for a number of months to find a pen that gives me more overall comfort than my most comfortable pen, my Waterman Carene. Comfort being a mix of ergonomics and nib writing experience. It is too soon to declare the MB 24 a winner, as it just arrived a couple of hours ago, but it very well may be. It has similar dimentions to the Carene, has an extened section and very small step. It also has a push-pull cap. It is different in that it is much lighter, has an ebonite feed and has an oblique nib (my first). It has a 14K vs. 18K nib. It also has an ink window. And it's over 40 years older, designed several decades before the venerable Carene. It is made of precious resin and glows red with an iPhone light shined in the cap.

I am blown away by the smoothness of the nib. I am still learning how to use an oblique... I think I need to turn it a bit my way? It is about my best writing pen (compared to the likes of ST Dupont, Sailor KoP, Pelikan M1000, Pilot Custom 823, Lamy 2000, etc...). Like my Lamy, it is clear the angle I hold the pen is important else it will hard start. In general, it does not take long to dry up if uncapped (10-15 seconds?). I've not had it long, but no issues so far if capped. The nib under a loupe looks brand new. I'm assuming it is an oblique broad because I don't think they made an oblique medium, but it certainly writes more like a medium. The ebonite feed is juicy but well controlled. With that said, the ebonite feed can be a bit sloppy when not writing... several times in my short ownership of the pen I've noticed the feed dropping a dot of ink in the cap or on paper if the pen is given a tussle. It seems to be my most sensitive feed in that regard.

The pen is in really excellent condition. I got it on auction and paid a very reasonable price for it. So far, so good, but I'll have to keep an eye on that feed sloppiness, I'm not sure if there are any tips or suggestions keeping that under control? I am a fan of the '60's 70's design with hidden/embedded nibs and extended sections from a performance and ergonomics perspective.

42500815301_4524838140_k.jpg

42500811371_f13d94002e_b.jpg

27629633037_6f06c88692_k.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tseg

• zaddick

• Tom Kellie

• BlueJ

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not a bad place to start. The pens are pretty robust and easy to clean out too. Enjoy it.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I recently got an MB22 with an OM nib and also found it to be an excellent writer. I have not observed any drooling or other bad behavior with mine.

The two-digit Montblancs were offered not only in OB and wider obliques but also OM and OF. Comparison of my nib to tseg's and also the writing sample leads me to conclude that tseg's nib is actually an OF. interestingly, it appears to be ground at something like a 30° angle instead of the more common 15°. Perhaps this was standard with OF tips to give more variation to the otherwise rather fine line.

The two-digit Montblancs were offered not only in OB and wider obliques but also OM and OF. Comparison of my nib to tseg's and also the writing sample leads me to conclude that tseg's nib is actually an OF. interestingly, it appears to be ground at something like a 30° angle instead of the more common 15°. Perhaps this was standard with OF tips to give more variation to the otherwise rather fine line.

Thanks for the assessment. Whatever it is, I love writing with it.

~ Tseg:

Your description of the Montblanc 24 is a great pleasure to read.

It's so good to know that it writes so well for you, especially n comparison with other high quality pens.

Two 24s arrived on my desk in February of this year — an EEF and an OF.

My positive experience writing with them has been like yours.

You write so well, and the photos of the pen and the handwriting sample are compelling.

May your pen bring much writing pleasure in the years to come.

Tom K.