Non-Leather Pen Case/storage Options

oraxia

Sure! Sounds like a fun project - good luck!

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oraxia

• akrohn2010

• senzen

• Mech-for-i

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RE: Cigar boxes

Go to the cigar shop in your town. One does not have to smoke to go in there. They sell lots of interesting things and will have a tall pile of empty cigar boxes in a variety of fun/cool/gorgeous designs and some interesting closures.They run $4-5 USD. Some pen purists will say to not store your pens in them but I have aired them out for a long time, lined the bottom with a piece of felt, and store ink cartridges, refills, pencils, nibs, pens and other accoutrements. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

well I use a fabric kiss-lock fountain pen purse so to speak its just like a leather one with the individual loop / tube, except its made from fabric with some padding inside ... the kiss-lock allow me to easily open the purse and fetch the pen when its in my briefcase. Actually I prefer them over the leather ones, and have several of such

I really want to keep my dip pens in a cup, but the reality is that my desk is usually covered in stuff and I do all of my actual dip pen work on my dining table and then have to pack it all away afterwards :( A small dish for nibs sounds really nice, though... Thanks for the suggestions :D

I keep my dip pens in a fishing tackle box - the traditional style that opens up with a fold-out tray.

Nibs are stored in Altoid tins in the bottom of the tackle box, along with ink bottles and other sundries. Everything in one place.

RE: Cigar boxes

Go to the cigar shop in your town. One does not have to smoke to go in there. They sell lots of interesting things and will have a tall pile of empty cigar boxes in a variety of fun/cool/gorgeous designs and some interesting closures.They run $4-5 USD. Some pen purists will say to not store your pens in them but I have aired them out for a long time, lined the bottom with a piece of felt, and store ink cartridges, refills, pencils, nibs, pens and other accoutrements. Enjoy!

You know, I always thought those would be a lot more expensive than just $4-5! Thank you so much for mentioning the pricing you've seen, because the things I ran into online were clearly geared towards crafters looking for vintage cigar boxes and otherwise much more expensive :unsure: I will have to keep an eye out for a cigar shop next time I'm downtown. I usually can't stand the smell of tobacco, but if it'll air out, that sounds like a nice option. Thank you! :D

I keep my dip pens in a fishing tackle box - the traditional style that opens up with a fold-out tray.

Nibs are stored in Altoid tins in the bottom of the tackle box, along with ink bottles and other sundries. Everything in one place.

I was literally thinking about this last weekend, as when I was younger and taking a drawing class I had stored all my markers and pencils in a tackle box! Thank you for mentioning it :) I have an old tin toolbox I've been trying to replace the broken latch on, and perhaps if I get that fixed up it can become the writing tool box. I already keep my nibs in a mint tin, so it seems like a good setup :D I may also give up on fixing the latch and just get a small tackle box anyway, of course--any recommendation on specific tackle boxes that fit pens well?

well I use a fabric kiss-lock fountain pen purse so to speak its just like a leather one with the individual loop / tube, except its made from fabric with some padding inside ... the kiss-lock allow me to easily open the purse and fetch the pen when its in my briefcase. Actually I prefer them over the leather ones, and have several of such

I had to look up what a kiss-lock was, haha :blush: That seems like a reasonable solution, and possibly DIY-able once I clear enough space to break out the sewing machine. Thank you! :) Is the kiss-lock on the long side or the short side (assuming the fountain pen purse you're referring to is rectangular)? Is it a purse designed for holding individual pens, or merely a clever repurposing?

Nevermind me! I'm just an inkling, a mere pigment of your imagination...

• 2 weeks later...

To go with the cigar theme, about a year ago I picked up a carbon fiber travel cigar case off of Massdrop. It has two pieces one of which slides over the other as a "lid". I had my daughter sew me a fabric insert so that the pens wouldn't rub against the carbon fiber, and I just slip it into a pocket in my backpack. I'll bet there's a similar slot or pocket in most purses.

I don't use the lid so the pens are very easy to access (as long as they're full length, I have to fish a bit to get my AlSport out). And it would take an enormous amount of abuse to collapse the carbon fiber and damage the pens inside.

I can get some pictures if there's any interest.

I had to look up what a kiss-lock was, haha :blush: That seems like a reasonable solution, and possibly DIY-able once I clear enough space to break out the sewing machine. Thank you! :) Is the kiss-lock on the long side or the short side (assuming the fountain pen purse you're referring to is rectangular)? Is it a purse designed for holding individual pens, or merely a clever repurposing?

sorry a bit late to the reply ... the purse is a purpose made fountain pen purse with 3 or 4 individual pen sleeve / tube ( just like hard leather one except they are fabric and quilted ) the opening is on the short side facing opening of the tube. I put it straight up inside m brief case so when I need to use the pen I can open the brief case, and simply open the lock and retrieve the pen.