The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Non-Leather Pen Case/storage Options

storage pen case

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 flyingpenman

flyingpenman

We see in a mirror dimly...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:35

Sure! Sounds like a fun project - good luck!
Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.
~C.S. Lewis
--------------
Current Rotation:
Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>
Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Sponsored Content

#22 yoyosma

yoyosma

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:36

RE: Cigar boxes   

Go to the cigar shop in your town. One does not have to smoke to go in there. They sell lots of interesting things and will have a tall pile of empty cigar boxes in a variety of fun/cool/gorgeous designs and some interesting closures.They run $4-5 USD. Some pen purists will say to not store your pens in them but I have aired them out for a long time, lined the bottom with a piece of felt, and store ink cartridges, refills, pencils, nibs, pens and other accoutrements. Enjoy!

#23 rluka

rluka

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:12

Anyone has experience with Sailor's canvas pen case ?

Seems to have elastic for five pens, but not sure the size it would accomodate.

#24 bluebellrose

bluebellrose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:51

How about the ones from muiji?

#25 Newton Pens

Newton Pens

Pen Making Nib Grinding Nut

• Premium - Diamond

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:52

Thanks for putting Elizabeth's name out there.  She's my wife.   (not my sister, and I don't have a daughter)  :)

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

#26 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:32

well I use a fabric kiss-lock fountain pen purse so to speak its just like a leather one with the individual loop / tube, except its made from fabric with some padding inside ... the kiss-lock allow me to easily open the purse and fetch the pen when its in my briefcase. Actually I prefer them over the leather ones, and have several of such

#27 OregonJim

OregonJim

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:52

I really want to keep my dip pens in a cup, but the reality is that my desk is usually covered in stuff and I do all of my actual dip pen work on my dining table and then have to pack it all away afterwards :( A small dish for nibs sounds really nice, though... Thanks for the suggestions :D

I keep my dip pens in a fishing tackle box - the traditional style that opens up with a fold-out tray.

Nibs are stored in Altoid tins in the bottom of the tackle box, along with ink bottles and other sundries.  Everything in one place.

#28 oraxia

oraxia

Inkling

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2018 - 20:12

RE: Cigar boxes   

Go to the cigar shop in your town. One does not have to smoke to go in there. They sell lots of interesting things and will have a tall pile of empty cigar boxes in a variety of fun/cool/gorgeous designs and some interesting closures.They run $4-5 USD. Some pen purists will say to not store your pens in them but I have aired them out for a long time, lined the bottom with a piece of felt, and store ink cartridges, refills, pencils, nibs, pens and other accoutrements. Enjoy!

You know, I always thought those would be a lot more expensive than just $4-5! Thank you so much for mentioning the pricing you've seen, because the things I ran into online were clearly geared towards crafters looking for vintage cigar boxes and otherwise much more expensive  :unsure:  I will have to keep an eye out for a cigar shop next time I'm downtown. I usually can't stand the smell of tobacco, but if it'll air out, that sounds like a nice option. Thank you!  :D

I keep my dip pens in a fishing tackle box - the traditional style that opens up with a fold-out tray.

Nibs are stored in Altoid tins in the bottom of the tackle box, along with ink bottles and other sundries.  Everything in one place.

I was literally thinking about this last weekend, as when I was younger and taking a drawing class I had stored all my markers and pencils in a tackle box! Thank you for mentioning it  :)  I have an old tin toolbox I've been trying to replace the broken latch on, and perhaps if I get that fixed up it can become the writing tool box. I already keep my nibs in a mint tin, so it seems like a good setup  :D  I may also give up on fixing the latch and just get a small tackle box anyway, of course--any recommendation on specific tackle boxes that fit pens well?

well I use a fabric kiss-lock fountain pen purse so to speak its just like a leather one with the individual loop / tube, except its made from fabric with some padding inside ... the kiss-lock allow me to easily open the purse and fetch the pen when its in my briefcase. Actually I prefer them over the leather ones, and have several of such

I had to look up what a kiss-lock was, haha  :blush: That seems like a reasonable solution, and possibly DIY-able once I clear enough space to break out the sewing machine. Thank you!  :)  Is the kiss-lock on the long side or the short side (assuming the fountain pen purse you're referring to is rectangular)? Is it a purse designed for holding individual pens, or merely a clever repurposing?

Nevermind me! I'm just an inkling, a mere pigment of your imagination...

#29 TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 13:22

To go with the cigar theme, about a year ago I picked up a carbon fiber travel cigar case off of Massdrop. It has two pieces one of which slides over the other as a "lid". I had my daughter sew me a fabric insert so that the pens wouldn't rub against the carbon fiber, and I just slip it into a pocket in my backpack. I'll bet there's a similar slot or pocket in most purses.

I don't use the lid so the pens are very easy to access (as long as they're full length, I have to fish a bit to get my AlSport out). And it would take an enormous amount of abuse to collapse the carbon fiber and damage the pens inside.

I can get some pictures if there's any interest.

#30 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 13:48

I had to look up what a kiss-lock was, haha  :blush: That seems like a reasonable solution, and possibly DIY-able once I clear enough space to break out the sewing machine. Thank you!  :)  Is the kiss-lock on the long side or the short side (assuming the fountain pen purse you're referring to is rectangular)? Is it a purse designed for holding individual pens, or merely a clever repurposing?

sorry a bit late to the reply ... the purse is a purpose made fountain pen purse with 3 or 4 individual pen sleeve / tube ( just like hard leather one except they are fabric and quilted ) the opening is on the short side facing opening of the tube. I put it straight up inside m brief case so when I need to use the pen I can open the brief case, and simply open the lock and retrieve the pen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: storage, pen case

Sponsored Content

|