• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Greenie

• penwash

• rbrummer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have one of those! I need to post a pic! Thanks!

Me too! It is a really cool looking pen. I will defer pics of it to those with better photo set ups!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Epenco fountain pen in a red glitter celluloid c. late 1930s. Epenco was an Eagle Pencil Company sub-brand. The red celluloid was made infused with gold glitter which shimmers as the pen is turned. This 4 7/8 inch long pen has a gold plated clip, lever and cap band, and shows some plating wear. The clip is an Eagle patent type and is stamped PATD at the top. The only Epenco markings are stamped on the stainless steel nib, with EPENCO over N.Y. The nib probably was originally gold plated.

spacer.png

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eagle fountain pen in blue plastic c. 1948-1949. This 5/18 inch long pen features the 1935 patented "Visehold" clip design by Benjamin W. Hanle with EAGLE stamped at the top. The overall look of the pen is similar to the c. 1939 Prestige model, except this is a lever-fill type. All the trim is lightly gold plated and shows a lot of wear. The 5/16 inch wide cap band has a repeating grouped lines and blank space pattern. The gold plated stainless steel nib is stamped EAGLE over IRIDIUM over TIPPED over MADE IN over U.S.A. According to 1949 advertisements it sold for $1.00 and came in black, grey, maroon and aquamarine, though as this example shows, also in blue. They were being sold as closeouts in 1949 for 39 cents.

spacer.png

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

Looks like the "caramel swirl" was used on several models. This is one I found in a bag of pens.

This is an Epenco fountain pen in a "caramel swirl" marbled celluloid c. 1933. This 4 3/4 inch long lever-fill pen has gold plated trim, including cap and barrel end caps, clip, filigree cap band and lever, each showing quite a lot of wear. The clip is stamped with EPENCO at the top. The celluloid is seamless, indicating it was probably turned from rod stock. Similar pens are shown in a 1933 dated novelty catalog shown with a retail price of 25 cents. The gold plated stainless steel nib is stamped EPENCO over N.Y. These nibs were called "Durium points" in some advertisements. There are no other markings on the pen.

spacer.png

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is another Eagle I found in a bag of pens.

This is an Eagle brass metal fountain pen in with a marbled green painted finish c. 1922-1926. This 5 1/8 inch long lever-fill pen has a gold plated clip and lever. The clip is stamped EAGLE PENCIL CO. U.S.A. The cap and barrel design and lever mechanism are similar to that shown in the 1926 Eagle Pencil Company lever mechanism patent by Eric G. Pearson, applied for in 1922. The nib is not hallmarked and may be gold plated stainless steel. It's stamped MARVEL over PEN and is probably a replacement nib. There are no other markings on the pen.

spacer.png

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

Picked up another Epenco in a lot of pens.

This is an Epenco fountain pen in olive green c. mid 1930s. This 4 7/8 inch long lever-fill pen has gold plated trim including the clip, plain cap band and lever, each showing quite a lot of wear. The clip is stamped with EPENCO at the top. The gold plated stainless steel nib is stamped EPENCO over N.Y. There are no other markings on the pen.

spacer.png

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Epenco Gleam fountain pen in green c. 1937. This 4 7/8 inch long lever-fill pen is made from rolled sheet pyralin that has embedded metal stars and crescent moons. If you look carefully you can see the seam. The trim is gold plated trim including the clip, cap band and lever, each showing quite a bit of wear. The clip is stamped EPENCO at the top. The gold plated stainless steel nib is stamped EPENCO over N.Y. over MADE IN over U.S.A. The Gleam line was announced as new in the 1937 Eagle catalog with pens selling for 25 cents and offered in brown with gold stars and crescents and red, blue and green with silver stars and crescents. Interestingly this example has gold stars and crescents. Matching pencils were 25 cents.

spacer.png

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Epenco Gleam fountain pen in green c. 1937. This 4 7/8 inch long lever-fill pen is made from rolled sheet pyralin that has embedded metal stars and crescent moons. If you look carefully you can see the seam. The trim is gold plated trim including the clip, cap band and lever, each showing quite a bit of wear. The clip is stamped EPENCO at the top. The gold plated stainless steel nib is stamped EPENCO over N.Y. over MADE IN over U.S.A. The Gleam line was announced as new in the 1937 Eagle catalog with pens selling for 25 cents and offered in brown with gold stars and crescents and red, blue and green with silver stars and crescents. Interestingly this example has gold stars and crescents. Matching pencils were 25 cents.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EpencoGleamGreen_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

I just picked up the matching pencil for this one. This is an evil place... B)

• 4 weeks later...

I always love a classic flat top. Here is an Eagle large Flat top with a plain lever. Usually they have a lever with a round end and "Eagle" markings. I have two of these with similar plain levers, so it seems to be correct. The clip is also unusual with a pencil outline for the company name. I only have this feature on my two black and white Eagle flat tops.

fpn_1540012318__eagle_os_bw.jpg fpn_1540012545__img_2930_b.jpg

I always love a classic flat top. Here is an Eagle large Flat top with a plain lever. Usually they have a lever with a round end and "Eagle" markings. I have two of these with similar plain levers, so it seems to be correct. The clip is also unusual with a pencil outline for the company name. I only have this feature on my two black and white Eagle flat tops.

Wow! That is amazing!

• 4 months later...

Recently found this pen - its has the prestige USA engraved on the emblem. Any way to tell when it may have been sold. This is my first Eagle pen and it writes amazingly wellpost-148646-0-02291000-1552172775_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Montblank

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eagle Gold Standard lever fill fountain pen in Burgundy basket weave celluloid c. 1937. The pen features Eagle's November 26, 1935 patented "Visehold" clip designed by Benjamin W. Hanle. It's 4 7/8 inches long capped. The cap and barrel ends are black pointed cap pieces. The clip is stamped EAGLE. All trim is gold plated, though the trim is almost worn off. The correct nib would be stamped EAGLE over 14 KT over MADE IN U.S.A, but this pen has a replacement stainless steel gold plated Signature number 6 nib. There is no barrel stamping. These pens were priced at $1.50 with either a fine or medium gold nib and came in Gold, Green, Grey and Burgundy Pearl basket weave Pyralin celluloid. Matching pencils and pen and pencil sets were available.

spacer.png

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eagle flat top lever fill fountain pen in red plastic c. 1926-1930. This 5 7/16 inch long pen clearly was meant to compete with the big red Parker Duofold, even adding a black cap top and barrel end. The pen dates to the late 1920s because of the patent clip, a design by Benjamin Hanle patented on March 29, 1927, but submitted the previous year. There are not patent markings on the pen or clip. The gold nib is stamped WARRANTED over 14K over 8, indicating the nib size. All the trim is gold filled. The clip is stamped EAGLE PENCIL CO. U.S.A. The cap band is stamped 14K GOLD FILLED. The lever is stamped EAGLE PENCIL CO. and EPCO on the tab. Late 1920s newspaper advertisements suggest these pens retailed for $1.50.

spacer.png

Thanks!