The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Urushi Over Ebonite, Or Over Acrylic

urushi ebonite acrylic

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 biancitwo

biancitwo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2018 - 16:43

I am looking at a Carolina Pen Co. urushi. My dilemma is whether the base is ebonite, or acrylic. The transparency of the acrylic is beautiful. I hear the feel of an ebonite and urushi pen is superb. Suggestions?

Sponsored Content

#2 Pens Woods

Pens Woods

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2018 - 19:55

+1 Can't go wrong.  I have the Pilot Custom 845 black ebonite with the Urushi lacquer.  A very nice feel in the hand, and the pen looks fantastic! Oh, it writes well with the FA nib.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man
that he does not know until he takes up his pen to write.
Thackeray

#3 hmj

hmj

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:07

Figboot very recently posted a YouTube video reviw of a Carolina Pen Co. urushi pen that had a translucent acrylic base on the cap and barrel, and an ebonite base on the section.  So you kind of get the best of both worlds with the appearance of the clear acrylic base on the majority of the pen, the feel of an ebonite base where the pen is designed to be gripped.

#4 biancitwo

biancitwo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2018 - 17:12

Figboot very recently posted a YouTube video reviw of a Carolina Pen Co. urushi pen that had a translucent acrylic base on the cap and barrel, and an ebonite base on the section.  So you kind of get the best of both worlds with the appearance of the clear acrylic base on the majority of the pen, the feel of an ebonite base where the pen is designed to be gripped.

Thanks for the heads up. It does not appear I can go wrong either way.

#5 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 21:22

Thanks for the heads up. It does not appear I can go wrong either way.

EXACTLY!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#6 flyingpenman

flyingpenman

We see in a mirror dimly...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2018 - 20:09

I was very impressed meeting Jonathon Brooks at the Triangle Pen Show this weekend - would say that a pen from him is definitely on my list after meeting his family and seeing his work. Quality stuff! Good luck with your urushi pen.
Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.
~C.S. Lewis
--------------
Current Rotation:
Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>
Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

#7 biancitwo

biancitwo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2018 - 21:01

I was very impressed meeting Jonathon Brooks at the Triangle Pen Show this weekend - would say that a pen from him is definitely on my list after meeting his family and seeing his work. Quality stuff! Good luck with your urushi pen.

You did what I had planned: meet Jonathon Brooks at the Triangle Pen Show. However, life intervened. Nonetheless, I am satisfied concerning his quality. I have decided my Brooks' masterpiece will be urushi over ebonite. I just hope to muster the nerve to place the order, and sooner than later. I still can't imagine a six month wait. I get so impatient wainting for any pen to arrive, much less a grail pen. Maybe I'll justify the purchase as a supreme test of, and unprecedented exercise in discipline. I've never really had much.

#8 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,515 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:10

I can't say I want a sealed poison ivy finish on a pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#9 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:38

You did what I had planned: meet Jonathon Brooks at the Triangle Pen Show. However, life intervened. Nonetheless, I am satisfied concerning his quality. I have decided my Brooks' masterpiece will be urushi over ebonite. I just hope to muster the nerve to place the order, and sooner than later. I still can't imagine a six month wait. I get so impatient wainting for any pen to arrive, much less a grail pen. Maybe I'll justify the purchase as a supreme test of, and unprecedented exercise in discipline. I've never really had much.

FWIW:  Six months is nothing in the world of custom pens, especially urushi custom pens.  The process is lengthy at best.  Good luck on the wait!

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#10 MomoShinChan

MomoShinChan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:01

FWIW:  Six months is nothing in the world of custom pens, especially urushi custom pens.  The process is lengthy at best.  Good luck on the wait!

That is true. Danitrio or some models of Nakaya the wait time can be as long a year and a half to nearly 2 years

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: urushi, ebonite, acrylic

Sponsored Content

|