The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Penbbs Nibs & Feeds: Problems And Alternatives

penbbs feed problem tight tines poor flow nib problem

26 replies to this topic

#21 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:09

question.. how do you remove the nib and feed from the housing? i try to remove mine and they just wont budge.. 

that said, i dont really have problem with PenBBS nib, they are pretty smooth despite being fine nib (asian fine, usually means western extra fine)... but i want to put in a stub nib..

Very carefully, grip the nib by the sides. Do not grip the feed whatsoever until the nib is out. And make sure there's no converter in place.

The feeds are VERY fragile. But the nib generally slides out on its own without the feed coming out. then the feed will be loose enough to remove, though I often don't even mess with the feed, the nib in my 323 just slides out with just the right amount of friction, so I nib-swap that pen without taking out the feed. and I have ruined the feed in one of the piston fillers by trying to take it and the nib out at the same time.

The BBS nib is unique. I quite like the upswept nib, they can be very smooth. Almost any #6 nib will fit the BBS feed, but the BBS nib will fit NOTHING but the penbbs pens themselves without modification due to the huge flat shoulders. 

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Sponsored Content

#22 J_MM

J_MM

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 23:58

A few of my 308 had the replacement Jinhao medium nibs touch the top of the inner cap when capped. I ground down the nib (opposite end of the tines) a bit and that resolved the issue. Several passes on the grinding stone was all it needed. The replacement nibs Bobby sells on ebay seem to be fine.

#23 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• 5,232 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 00:41

I too have a number of Penbbs pens, all with no tine tip gap. All are solid writers, though admittedly on the finer and medium to slightly dry side. I ED'd one for an experiment, an now, interestingly enough, its the best writter!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#24 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2018 - 23:29

I too have a number of Penbbs pens, all with no tine tip gap. All are solid writers, though admittedly on the finer and medium to slightly dry side. I ED'd one for an experiment, an now, interestingly enough, its the best writter!

I found that converting my 323 to ED filler did make it wetter. Adjusting the tine gap a teensy bit tighter fixed that and brought it back to normal (for me).

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#25 pw1224

pw1224

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:38

If you have a Dremel and are willing to experiment, you could probably grind the non-business end of a replacement Bock or other #6 nib to make it shorter. It would reduce the probability of crunch but I have no clue how it would affect ink flow.

#26 calvin_0

calvin_0

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:36

Very carefully, grip the nib by the sides. Do not grip the feed whatsoever until the nib is out. And make sure there's no converter in place.

The feeds are VERY fragile. But the nib generally slides out on its own without the feed coming out. then the feed will be loose enough to remove, though I often don't even mess with the feed, the nib in my 323 just slides out with just the right amount of friction, so I nib-swap that pen without taking out the feed. and I have ruined the feed in one of the piston fillers by trying to take it and the nib out at the same time.

The BBS nib is unique. I quite like the upswept nib, they can be very smooth. Almost any #6 nib will fit the BBS feed, but the BBS nib will fit NOTHING but the penbbs pens themselves without modification due to the huge flat shoulders. 

thanks..

yeah, i agree that the penbbs nib is a really good nib... it's even a pretty smooth reverse writer... it feel a lot stiffer, but still smooth..

Edited by calvin_0, 21 August 2018 - 10:39.

#27 calvin_0

calvin_0

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 13:26

after many retries, I finally manage to remove penbbs nibs form the housing and has been replaced with jovo stub from goulet pens..

however it feel abit weird... it feel like the nib is too long cause i keep hitting the cap with the nib... it doesnt bend the nib cause the nib is sitting inside the ring of the cap... but everytime i screw or unscew the cap, i would hit the nib..

would this damage my nib in long term? if not, than i'll leave it be...

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: penbbs, feed problem, tight tines, poor flow, nib problem

Sponsored Content

|