The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ranga Model 8B Group Buy- Infinite Beautiful Colour And Nib Choices

ranga ebonite india kandan pandurangan germany bock jowo schmidt handmade art

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#141 Folgefonna

Folgefonna

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2018 - 13:39

Have you tried priming the nib and feed? Turn the barrel as if you're opening it, but not all the way. Turn upside down (over your inkwell!) and close it tight again. Clean off possible ink on the threads. Try again. If that does not help, maybe try opening the tines a little bit. You should be able to pull them apart a little from the shoulders, using your thumbs.

Thanks for the hint. I had to repeat this procedure several times for to finally get some really meager ink flow. Looks like the pen wants to have hard starts all the time. When tapping the nib carefully on to the paper it burps. Haven't experienced this with my other ED pen.

Sponsored Content

#142 dinuraj

dinuraj

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2018 - 18:04

This is my pen from the group buy. In premium "Pale Pink/ Red  Black Swirl" ebonite with black bold nib. It writes wet and smooth. 

img_7938.jpg?w=800

img_7873.jpg?w=800

Regards,

Dinuraj

Edited by dinuraj, 17 August 2018 - 18:05.

#143 Carabassimetre

Carabassimetre

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2018 - 16:56

This is my pen from the group buy. In premium "Pale Pink/ Red  Black Swirl" ebonite with black bold nib. It writes wet and smooth. 

img_7938.jpg?w=800

img_7873.jpg?w=800

Regards,

Dinuraj

Wow! nice red ripple. Mine doesn't have that high contrast between red and black.

Have you used some filter or special light? Maybe digital retouch?. I'm interested in your photo setup.
Tomorrow I'll post some photos to compare.

#144 Carabassimetre

Carabassimetre

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2018 - 15:15

Ok. I can't reach that image quality because the light source but there're my photos:

http://www.fountainp..._20180819_1.jpg

http://www.fountainp..._20180819_2.jpg

http://www.fountainp..._20180819_3.jpg

http://www.fountainp..._20180819_4.jpg

http://www.fountainp..._20180819_5.jpg

Edited by Carabassimetre, 19 August 2018 - 15:19.

#145 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2018 - 16:26

My red and black (seen in post 119) is more like yours, Carabassimetre. It's almost a stealth pen, but I still think it's attractive. Perhaps the blue and pink would have had more contrast?
I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

#146 dinuraj

dinuraj

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2018 - 15:53

I have used a flash to take the photo. Increased the contrast in post-processing. Did not do localized retouching. 

#147 Antenociticus

Antenociticus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2018 - 16:53

Thanks for the hint. I had to repeat this procedure several times for to finally get some really meager ink flow. Looks like the pen wants to have hard starts all the time. When tapping the nib carefully on to the paper it burps. Haven't experienced this with my other ED pen.

I have a similar problem. The pen hard-starts whenever I have left it nib up for a while, and getting it going usually involves some ink splashing around (one time on my shirt). After being stored horizontally, it starts OK, but sometimes has burped ink into the cap. It often drips ink.

I too have not had this problem with other ED pens, though actually I only have two other models, both from Moonman in China – the M2 and the Wancai.

I'm well aware that I probably have too little ink in my Ranga 8B. What is the ink capacity meant to be anyway? I got the version in blue and white premium ebonite, and the blue was darker and more purple than the photos had led me to expect, while the white was creamier, almost beige. It looks like a night sky with moonlit cloud, so I inked it with a sample of Krishna Silent Night Sky that I had sitting around. A poetic choice, and the ink suits the pen, but it there's a bit less than 2 ml in there, which is probably not enough and perhaps the source of the problem.

#148 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2018 - 21:12

absolutely, an almost empty ED is looking for trouble...

I keep my ED Rangas at least half full and store them in horizontal position, they write first time with no hard starts even after several weeks unused!

In a way they are better desk pens than carry pens, but I have carried them with me also with no issues, rarely some ink spills in the cap if I toss them around...

The ink capacity of most Rangas is really huge, I have not measured the ml, but two 'Ranga pipettes' are still not enough to fill a model 8, let alone an 8B.

I tend to fill Ranga ED pens with readily available inks (Waterman Serenity, Pelikan Royal blue) because so much goes in in one fill that I prefer not to use more 'precious' inks...

Edited by sansenri, 31 August 2018 - 21:13.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ranga, ebonite, india, kandan, pandurangan, germany, bock jowo, schmidt, handmade, art

Sponsored Content

|