• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• sansenri

• mhguda

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@jamarelbe so I can substitute say a jowo #6 into the eyedropper version in the future right?

My main concern was not the staining of the Ebonite but I was just curious how porous Ebonite be, say if I used a black ink, do a quick wash and put in a light blue ink will the ink be slightly darker because of the black ink?

Also thanks for your info theyre helpful

@jamarelbe so I can substitute say a jowo #6 into the eyedropper version in the future right?

My main concern was not the staining of the Ebonite but I was just curious how porous Ebonite be, say if I used a black ink, do a quick wash and put in a light blue ink will the ink be slightly darker because of the black ink?

Yes, you can substitute in a JoWo nib. Fair warning, though: the first time I tried this, I cracked a couple of 'fins' off the feed. The feed is only friction fit into the body of the pen, but the friction generated between ebonite (feed) and ebonite (pen / grip section) is quite significant, and takes some pretty firm tugging. The local company that sold me the pen provided me with a second feed (I think Ranga supplied them with spares, as a precaution) - and I'd recommend asking Ranga if they're happy to do the same for you!

Dear Mr. MP Kandan

Form Submitted and Payment also done.

Another fountain pen on the way ( Premium ebonite colour 6 black red , polished Jowo nib F black ) .

Thanks and greets from Spain .

@SomoHapiens the main thing to realise with an eyedropper pen is that it comes with an ebonite feed and a limited range of nib choices (though you can substitute in your #6 nib of choice). Some people prefer this option because the pens tend to be super wet, with a massive ink capacity. Ink staining *could* be an issue, but who looks inside the pen in between fills? ;)

My main reasons for going with a JoWo or Bock nib assembly are related to ink capacity and flow: in my experience the plastic feeds are less gushy, and seem to be less prone to burping (you *can* use these pens as eyedroppers too!). An eyedropper pen with ebonite feed needs to be kept at least half full, or the air in the barrel will heat up as you hold it and force air out onto your paper! Personally, I prefer to use a cartridge converter - I like to change inks fairly often - but that's a matter of personal preference.

The other advantage of JoWo or Bock nibs is that you can easily source replacements - I often just buy the pen body from Ranga, and but a custom ground nib assembly from fpnibs.com.

yes, I'm in this phase in which I like gushy pens...

that's why I'm going with (at least one) ED with an ebonite feed.

Experience so far (with Ranga EDs) is telling me the flow is much less restrained than with a Jowo nib feed collar screw on combo.

Mr. Kandan has confirmed that Kanwrite nibs and Bock nibs are interchangeable.

I have swapped Bock nibs in a Ranga before and have found it easy to do (no difficulty to pull nib feed out).

I was concerned the Kanwrite nibs might be thinner and then I would have to force a Bock nib in or modify the feed...

But Mr. Kandan said I will not need that.

Also so far no ink stains (burping).

Experience with other pens is not the same, I have an Asa Genius with ebonite feed but flow is nowhere near as good as in the Rangas. I believe the feed might need some slight modification

yes, if you choose an ED you are trying a slightly less trouble free filling system, but in my opinion the resulting ink flow could positively surprise you

don't risk ink contamination, give it a good wash, a few minutes more rinsing are all that is needed

Dear All,

Thanks for making this Group Buy a tremendous Success. We ahve recieved 80+ Orders for first batch

Shipment Update: We started the shipment on today. We will complete the first batch shipment on or before 20th June. Shipment details will be sent on the weekends to individual participants.

REgards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

I have just added a further request

this time for a CC filler (first entry was for an ED)

Premium Ebonite #11 (blue/white/orange/green)

Clipless

Jowo medium two tone nib

thank you

Just submitted for S16, Polished, chrome clip, eyedropper and monotone fine nib.

Payment Made

Edited by Kukukaka

contacted u mr kandan. it seems my final message (pm ) hasn't been delivered to u.

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

contacted u mr kandan. it seems my final message (pm ) hasn't been delivered to u.

Dear Sir,

Yes . It has not been delivered to me.

Please reach me @ mpkandan@yahoo.co.in

Take care

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Woo hoo - my Ranga 8B arrived yesterday - Premium ebonite in Blue/ Pink/Pale Yellow Swirl!

Here's a pic of the pen on its own (with a black-coated JoWo nib unit I already had in my collection):

fpn_1529765299__ranga_8b_alone.jpg

And here's the pen in comparison to my Model 5, Model 4C (I think?), and Model 8. It's the shortest pen tip-to-tip (by a small margin) - but definitely a little larger in diameter than the 8, with a perfectly-proportioned grip section (not that the narrower 8 is too narrow...).

fpn_1529765361__ranga_8b_compare.jpg

Thanks again to Mr M.P. Kandan his excellent communication - and to Mr M.S. Pandurangan for his amazing artistry! This is my 8th ebonite pen from Ranga - probably time to stop buying more, but I said that after the last one...

Edited by Jamerelbe

Wonderful review, Jamerelbe. I especially appreciate the comparison photo with other Ranga pens. I actually thought the pen would be a lot bigger than the regular model 8...more like model 5 giant territory, but now i know!

I actually have the regular model 8 and it's a little too narrow for my liking, especially the grip section. Does the 8B have a wider grip section?

Wonderful review, Jamerelbe. I especially appreciate the comparison photo with other Ranga pens. I actually thought the pen would be a lot bigger than the regular model 8...more like model 5 giant territory, but now i know!

I actually have the regular model 8 and it's a little too narrow for my liking, especially the grip section. Does the 8B have a wider grip section?

Yep, definitely a little wider - I'll do a measure up (and maybe take a photo) when I get a chance. Probably not in the next 12 to 18 hours though!

Yep, definitely a little wider - I'll do a measure up (and maybe take a photo) when I get a chance. Probably not in the next 12 to 18 hours though!

I look forward to that when you find the time! :) Meanwhile it's way past bedtime in my timezone.

Definitely interested in ordering now. The range of colors offered is dizzying and it's hard to choose! Will probably settle for the premium ebonite though, because I've been waiting for all of them to become available in a group buy setting. It has been a very long time!

If I do order this Ranga 8B will be my fourth Ranga pen (all group buys),and sixth ebonite pen in general.

post-100019-0-00544500-1529773870_thumb.jpg

This is my current ebonite collection. From left to right: Ranga Model 5, Ranga Model 8 (regular), Ranga Model 4, Noodlers Konrad, Edison Morgan.

Isn't it interesting that we both have the Model 5 in the same ebonite, but the pattern has come through so differently! (For my pen the green is only visible on the grip section) It really goes to demonstrate the wild variations in ebonite patterns. Opening the box for the first time will yield a surprise!

Edited by Ayami_109

Woo hoo - my Ranga 8B arrived yesterday - Premium ebonite in Blue/ Pink/Pale Yellow Swirl!

Can't believe it got there so quickly! Mine took a whole month to arrive last time. How long did it take for others in Canada?

I hope you have good luck with the international shipping. My last one had to be replaced by Kandan MP because it never arrived here in the United States. Waiting for the replacement

Edited by countrydirt

Sorry for the slow turn-around time! My Ranga 8 grip section is ~9.5mm at its thinnest point, flaring out to ~10.5mm at top and bottom (it's kind of an hourglass shape). The Ranga 8B by comparison is ~10.5mm at its thinnest, flaring out to ~11.5mm near the nib and 12mm just before the cap threads. So it's appreciably (though not dramatically) wider.

A picture:

fpn_1529824896__ranga_8b_grip.jpg

Sorry for the slow turn-around time! My Ranga 8 grip section is ~9.5mm at its thinnest point, flaring out to ~10.5mm at top and bottom (it's kind of an hourglass shape). The Ranga 8B by comparison is ~10.5mm at its thinnest, flaring out to ~11.5mm near the nib and 12mm just before the cap threads. So it's appreciably (though not dramatically) wider.

Thanks! This is useful information