Ranga Model 8B Group Buy- Infinite Beautiful Colour And Nib Choices

That's a great group buy ! I had my eyes on Ranga pens for a while !

Form submitted, Paypal payment done ! My choice :

- Black/yellow premium ebonite (P2)

- C/C mechanism

- Jowo steel nib #6, black tone, 1.1 stub (edit: after a second thought, I modified the nib)

- Clipless

- Polished finish

Edited by agarwaen

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• sansenri

• mhguda

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a teaser for you guys... look how the special ebonite in matte finish looks

The Ranga Model 4

fpn_1527695117__20180529_173738.jpg

fpn_1527695208__20180529_174312.jpg

fpn_1527695317__20180529_173823.jpg

Thank you for the wonderful shots. The matte ebonite material indeed looks very pretty. What ebonite rod is this -- S1 matte or P4 matte?

Form submitted:

Premium Ebonite, Green/Pale Pink, Polished

(From the photo, it looks like a combination of P4-Green and P8-Pink. I hope it is! I like both those colors separately, but wanted more than one color. It's OK if the pink is paler than P8.)

C/C with a Jowo Dual-tone F

Clipless

Thank you for the opportunity to add the 8B to my collection!

Edited by sandburger

Thank you for the wonderful shots. The matte ebonite material indeed looks very pretty. What ebonite rod is this -- S1 matte or P4 matte?

S1 in matte finish

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I think they're similar to the Ambitious nibs that came on many Asa pens. Asa has Kanwrite nibs on some of their recent pens also, IIRC. I have a few Indian pens bought recently that came with Kanwrite nibs. Including one Kanwrite pen from Fountainpenrevolution. They are very nice nibs.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

any idea once I choose a Kanwrite nib if I can also swap it with other nibs I may have spare (Jowo, Bock)?

Is Kanwrite a size 6 nib?

I may possibly choose two pens, one CC one ED, but like the idea to possibly swap in a Bock, or Jowo, or other nib in the ED, in case I am not happy with the Kanwrite

Is the thickness of the metal similar to Jowo or Bock, or would I have problems?

I am aware it would be friction fit, but feel confident enough to swap it by myself if the difference between nibs is not an impediment.

thanks for any advice

Edited by sansenri

I have not tried any of the swaps you mention, but to my eye the Kanwrite does seem like a nr 6 nib. I'd expect it to fit, with maybe a little fiddling - push further in, or pull further out, of the section as needed. If the feed is (slightly) too fat, taking off a little of its material with fine sandpaper has worked for me in the past.

Two forms submitted

Premium, Blue/White, C/C, Jowo Chrome Fine Nib, White Clip, Polished

and

Special, Solid Maroon, Eyedropper, Gold Fine Nib, Gold Clip, Polished

Thanks for the group buy on your great pens!

In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:10

Two forms submitted

Premium, Blue/White, C/C, Jowo Chrome Fine Nib, White Clip, Polished

and

Special, Solid Maroon, Eyedropper, Gold Fine Nib, Gold Clip, Polished

Thanks for the group buy on your great pens!

Thank you sir

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Thanks to @Jamerelbe for redirecting me to the correct page, from the other page.

Very nice pens I might get a couple of them. I have however a multiple layer questions I haven't seen asked yet,

If I purchase the eyedropper version does that mean that the ink will sit in the ebonite body of the pen? Will the ink damage the Ebonite body over time? And what would be the recommended steps for cleaning and maintenance (are ink flush solution/alcohol safe to use)? Also, any type of ink I should avoid using in this version?

Thanks in advance!

"Yowo or Bock nibs hmmmm...."

I suppose I should try a Kanwrite ED version instead of asking too many questions... :)

Form submitted

Special Ebonite

ED filler

Colour S4 (forest green - Kakhi ripple)

Finish Bakul

Clipless

Nib silver tone FLEX

I will probably be filling in another form in premium ebonite CC filler

Thanks to @Jamerelbe for redirecting me to the correct page, from the other page.

Very nice pens I might get a couple of them. I have however a multiple layer questions I haven't seen asked yet,

If I purchase the eyedropper version does that mean that the ink will sit in the ebonite body of the pen? Will the ink damage the Ebonite body over time? And what would be the recommended steps for cleaning and maintenance (are ink flush solution/alcohol safe to use)? Also, any type of ink I should avoid using in this version?

Thanks in advance!

yes the ink sits inside the ebonite body, and quite a lot of it! but I doubt that it will in any way damage the pen, for sure it will stain it, but on the inside...

I have been using several ebonite ED fillers and I have not had any problems with them in that respect. After a good wash with water the barrel stops releasing ink and you can change ink colour, I have not had any problems of colour mixing or contamination after new ink is in the pen.

I would not use any other cleaning agent on ebonite, even water does tend discolour ebonite slightly (especially bakul) so do not leave the pen immersed in water. The time needed to wash it however will not harm it . Wash it and leave to dry.

PS @mhguda thank you for reply

I'm going to try the Kanwrite because I'm curious to try their flex nib.

I have a few other Rangas ED with Bock nibs, so I know they will fit in general, I'm just curious to know whether when Ranga sets the Bock or Kanwrite nibs they have to modify the feeder between the two.

I read some good things about the Kanwrite, in any case.

I think you won't be disappointed Sanserni; the Kanwrite nibs are very nice. I don't have a flex, just some standard F nibs, one of which I've polished a little to become an F-sized stub, to give me a little line thickness variation; but I find them very similar to Ambitious and those I do have some flexes, they work well.

Let us know how it goes...

Thanks in advance!

@SomoHapiens the main thing to realise with an eyedropper pen is that it comes with an ebonite feed and a limited range of nib choices (though you can substitute in your #6 nib of choice). Some people prefer this option because the pens tend to be super wet, with a massive ink capacity. Ink staining *could* be an issue, but who looks inside the pen in between fills? ;)

My main reasons for going with a JoWo or Bock nib assembly are related to ink capacity and flow: in my experience the plastic feeds are less gushy, and seem to be less prone to burping (you *can* use these pens as eyedroppers too!). An eyedropper pen with ebonite feed needs to be kept at least half full, or the air in the barrel will heat up as you hold it and force air out onto your paper! Personally, I prefer to use a cartridge converter - I like to change inks fairly often - but that's a matter of personal preference.

The other advantage of JoWo or Bock nibs is that you can easily source replacements - I often just buy the pen body from Ranga, and but a custom ground nib assembly from fpnibs.com.