Lamy 2000 Clutch Bumps

pajaro

I unscrewed the section on a Lamy 2000 to clean the nib and feed. The ring that has the cap clutch bumps or "ears" fell out and is lost. Will the pen leak with this ring absent? The cap goes on and stays on, even though it doesn't snap on as before.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• pepsiplease69

• Ron Z

• carlos.q

It shouldnt leak.

Thats a bummer though that the clip is lost. The cap may go on fine for now but in the future you may have difficulty with the cap staying on.

Plus you cant clip the pen to anything and be reasonably assured that the pen wont uncap under its own weight.

Try your best to find it. The clip is easy to lose. It flew off from my pen when I unscrewed the section as well.

I panicked though and got on my hands and knees to look all over the floor and found it.

Torch at a shallow angle near floor level, in case you have not tried that already.

X

I dry mopped the floor with a Swiffer. No part found. I think it fell down into the sink and down the drain.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

If it fell down the drain it could be in the u-shapped trap under the sink.

Edited by carlos.q

I think I have seen in the past that the person selling those fake coloured Lamy 2Ks from China also sold those metal rings, although I have not bought one from him myself.

I tried to contact Lamy Germany about a similar issue (the ring was slightly loose in the barrel) but they seemed to want me to send the pen to them

(which I wasn't willing to do for such a minor issue).

Hopefully if you contact them they will just send a replacement part out to you.

If it fell down the drain it could be in the u-shapped trap under the sink.

I removed the U-shaped plastic pipe. I found a Parker 45 clutch ring, a Parker 51 clutch ring and the Lamy 2000 clutch piece. I had thought that anything in the pipe would have been washed away. I had not reckoned with the gunk in the pipe, which had caught the three clutch rings. Thanks for the reminder.

Note to self: never undo a section over the sink.

...or put a screen in the drain opening. I've used one for years, ever since I washed one of Susan Wirth's Parkette nibs down the drain with my ultrasonic cleaner stuff at LI one year. I didn't think that Hofstra would be happy if I took the trap off of the sink.

Jeweler supply stores sell a clear trap with a trap door so that you can more easily recover stuff that went down the drain.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Rule 1: As soon as you approach a sink with a fountain pen that you intend to take apart - put the plug or a sink trap in there first.

I am tempted to shellac the Lamy 2000 clutch bumps ring into the section. On both of my 2000s.

I removed the U-shaped plastic pipe. I found a Parker 45 clutch ring, a Parker 51 clutch ring and the Lamy 2000 clutch piece. I had thought that anything in the pipe would have been washed away. I had not reckoned with the gunk in the pipe, which had caught the three clutch rings. Thanks for the reminder.

Note to self: never undo a section over the sink.

We all love happy endings!

But...does this mean I can use a Lamy 2000 without the "ears"? Without leaks and with it still capping? I find those ears an irritation. Wish Lamy's design team would re-engin-ear something like the P51 clutch ring.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

But...does this mean I can use a Lamy 2000 without the "ears"? Without leaks and with it still capping? I find those ears an irritation. Wish Lamy's design team would re-engin-ear something like the P51 clutch ring.

My pen didn't leak without the ears. The cap seemed to hold on when capped, even in my pocket. Over time, the plastic might have worn or deformed slightly so that the barrel would drop out of the cap in my pocket. A possibility, but I don't know. You could try using the pen without the "ears."

I am tempted to shellac the Lamy 2000 clutch bumps ring into the section. On both of my 2000s.

I would recommend against that.

The clip las to do its job as a spring that flexes freely in its place when the pen is capped or uncapped.

Curses! Foiled again!

(Villain's line from old movies).

Edited by pajaro

Those clutch rings are very easy to lose. I take them out of the section first thing when I open a 2000 and put it in a dish or some kind of container, same for the seal, then proceed to do what I need to do. They don't go near a sink. Pudding cups are great for this.

As a matter of fact, use the Lean Cuisine dinner trays (our office manager ate a lot of them for lunch) or other small trays to hold parts when I work on pens. Keeps things from rolling or getting knocked off of the bench.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

No reply from Lamy repair services inquiry. As far as I am concerned, they can take a ride on the reading.

• 9 months later...

I found the clutch ring in the sink trap. Nichts von Lamy.